Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rev Al To Minneapolis (what could go wrong?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post

Obviously like everything it's not across the board, there are tons of 18-30 year olds that work their ass off and have life goals and we should all be proud of them. But you never hear about them. And to be honest, I have no idea if it's the majority of that age group. Pop culture has done a number on a large percentage of our youth, to be sure and the previous generations raising the next to be all the more dependent on someone other then themselves. It started a long time ago. No winners, no score, bad behavior not being addressed and corrected, etc, etc. While to some degree, it is commendable and important to teach kids that everyone deserves respect and to be treated fairly, but at the same time, you have to teach kids that bad behavior does not warrant praise and or respect either. And too many believe that there are no consequences because there was always someone there to clean up the mess or dismiss it because calling it out would reflect poorly on the person 'judging' the behavior. This goes across all levels of income btw. The rich kid that gets a pass for a DUI, or snorting coke because daddy has friends to the poor kid that smokes dope after school because his mother or father is not around. No one is there to tell the kid, NO! Generation after generation continues to be taught that society is oppressive. Society is racist. Society is sexist, Society is killing the planet etc. What does this do? It kills the will of the youth to even try. And the media is more than willing to take the 1% of ugly and plaster it in their faces all the time to reinforce that. Why? I don't know why? Why on the one hand do we go out of our way to make each child feel special only to turn around and tell them that the world they live in is a hell hole?

How can we blame them? We made them. They see gloried celebrities with bling and cars and women. It all started 40 years ago (Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous). You start with something like that and like everything, someone comes along and one-ups it. Someone makes a product better, someone puts a new twist on a TV show. Someone takes whatever it is to the next level. And then the next, and then the next. Who can go above this? It's everywhere in society. Some good, some not so much as it turns out. From a guy doing a 720 on a skateboard one day to the next guy doing a 900 to a 1080. It's natural. America wants more. But the expectations of life become more out of touch with reality. And what they don't see is all the work that the person spent getting to where they are. Taking what one person did and taking it further, through practice, ingenuity, and resources spent. They don't know that most people are poor when they start out in life. They expect to go to college and someone gives them $100k job and on they go. Instead they get gouged by the benevolent liberal colleges (who's only reason for existing is the educate, right). With billion dollar endowments, charging $150k for a degree in something with no practical application in society, because they want to make a difference. Well, sorry, making a difference doesn't pay too well. What does pay well, is doing what people who have money want to pay for.

Again, I don't know how widespread it is. Where I live, the kids are wonderful and still go work at Price Chopper sacking groceries, mcdonald's and the garden centers and volunteer for charity events. So what I see in person doesn't jive with what I see on TV. But without proper parenting from the start, it's all for not.
    No 100% of the kids weren't out after 1 am causing problems. Not even 50%. Probably not even 20 percent. No they didn't learn it themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by wsushox1 View Post

I 100% agree with you. So what do we do about those problems?
      A growing number of democrats and others would say that the government (WE) need to give them more money. Pay for their college. Pay everyone for just being alive. That will make them happy.

Comment

Originally posted by wsushox1 View Post

I 100% agree with you. So what do we do about those problems?
        pursuit of happiness (noun)

The pursuit of happiness is defined as a fundamental right mentioned in the Declaration of Independence to freely pursue joy and live in a way that makes you happy, as long as you don't do anything illegal or violate the rights of others.

Since they apparently are incapable of seeking happiness for themselves maybe a public forum on cnn and debate/discuss how we can make them happy? Less cops on the street? Tear up the Declaration of Independence? Dump the welfare state? Elect j. biden? New green deal? Reparations? Less white people in the world? Impeach the President? What are your suggestions?
        Last edited by ShockingButTrue; June 2, 2020, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

A growing number of democrats and others would say that the government (WE) need to give them more money. Pay for their college. Pay everyone for just being alive. That will make them happy.
          Which provides no incentive to make money, have goals, or serve a purpose in life. Just be bored with nothing to do except come out at night, start trouble, and then wake up at 2pm the next day with food on the table that was not earned and then start the cycle over again.
          Last edited by ShockerFever; June 2, 2020, 11:00 AM.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

ISIS, Al-Queda, and every other anti-American terrorist group has to be sitting back, grabbing a cold beverage, and enjoying the show, watching America destroy itself. All along they thought they needed to launch planes into buildings or blow up embassies or whatever when all they had to do was throw a political issue out into the open, tie it with something horrible, let the media grab ahold of it.. and boom.. mass chaos. The country is an embarrassment right now.. BOTH sides. Nobody cares about doing the right thing anymore. And now it's not even about George Floyd. It's about every lowlife out there that is the decay of society coming out of the woodwork to take advantage of the situation. And then you have extremists on both sides instigating it and blaming each other. And you have people setting places on fire and beating the crap out of people who all believe the same thing they do about police brutality. There is absolutely NO rational human being that would side with what the police officer did. That's the ironic thing. But yet people are destroying places that have nothing to do with the situation that are probably supportive of the cause.

And one last note, it is beyond disturbing how many left-sided people are condoning the violence and saying it's justified. How in the hell does that make any sense? One POS cop kills a guy and the entire country going up in flames is ok? Something tells me if their homes or businesses were the ones set on fire and ransacked that they wouldn't be singing the same tune.
            Last edited by ShockerFever; June 2, 2020, 11:01 AM.
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I think we need more tear gas and water cannons. Omaha escaped a disaster last night. Access to downtown today is still restricted and an 8 PM curfew is in effect. We'll see how this goes, so far, by limiting the ability of travel into and out of downtown, rioting was squashed. I guess protesters are willing to walk to downtown, rioters aren't.
              There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

I don’t know what to do. It’s easy to point out some of the things that feed into the problems, but the root of the issues is still there. Need to find a common thread and start to unravel it. A few things off the top of my head that could be better:

racism/systemic racism: This needs to be pointed out on individual bases so that it can be corrected. A negative interaction between two races is not inherently racist. Racism is not prejudice+power, it’s just prejudice. Prejudice+power is oppression. Someone that is racist may have no power, or may not act on what power he/she has. This nuance needs to be distinguished.

Feminism/sexism: Women and Men should be treated equally under the law. In some ways they are and in some ways they aren’t. They have equal voting powers, and equal opportunity for earnings. Pregnant women are at a disadvantage, as are persons (mostly women) of low physical strength. Women are more likely to be the victim of sexual assault outside of prisons, but serve less harsh sentences than men....lots of physical differences leading to Inequities, but everyone has equality.

LBGQT: Born this way or a choice? Need to make distinctions here and laws that correspond to the distinction.

Police enforcement: We need to back off of the minor civil offenses and figure out a way to protect constitutional rights.

Equity vs equality: I think this might be the crux of it all. As a society, we’ve decided that we want equality under the law. Sometimes those laws don’t lend themselves to equal outcomes. Some in this society have decided that inequity is driven by inequality, but that’s just not always the case.
                Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
                  On another note, Omaha is essentially shutting down right now. Hopefully nothing happens but a huge riot is expected. All because of this:
                  https://www.omaha.com/news/crime/no-...08ac81a24.html
                  attack a business owner with a gun? what an idiot... rest in piss.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

pursuit of happiness (noun)

The pursuit of happiness is defined as a fundamental right mentioned in the Declaration of Independence to freely pursue joy and live in a way that makes you happy, as long as you don't do anything illegal or violate the rights of others.

Since they apparently are incapable of seeking happiness for themselves maybe a public forum on cnn and debate/discuss how we can make them happy? Less cops on the street? Tear up the Declaration of Independence? Dump the welfare state? Elect j. biden? New green deal? Reparations? Less white people in the world? Impeach the President? What are your suggestions?
                    No way I have all the answers (many not any), maybe no one does, but I see 2 glaring problems.

1) Public Educational System. The "No Child Gets Left Behind" idea is a good one, IF you implement it right. Instead, under paid teachers are expected to make sure everyone is past on to the next grade/level. They get knocked if too many kids fail certain minimum standards, but they either have too many kids in their class, too many problem kids, lack proper support from the kids' families or some combination. So, they still make sure certain kids don't get left behind by passing them on to the next level teacher and so it goes. Too many quality teachers have been lost to higher paying jobs, even though they loved teaching and would do it for less money than what they can earn elsewhere, just not too much less. The "atmosphere" of many public schools is another problem. I believe that the required grade a student must complete is the 8th grade, anyway it was not all that many years ago. What chance does children have in this day and age if that's all they have to get? Answer to this problem? There is not just 1 or even just a few, nevertheless, this is still where many children get left behind...… permanently left behind.

2) Too small array of jobs. Not everyone can be a techie, an actor, or sports pro. In less than 50-70 years, some of our largest areas of employment are a shell of what they were. Agriculture and manufacturing are two of the hardest hit. While most weren't making a lot of money, they were still in the middle class. Two of the largest now....personal service (think fast food) and domestic service, which is no longer middle class and, if personal service gets too high of cost, they get replaced by machines (not made here) or the internet. You have to have your people working and making a reasonable wage. Another problem, families with TWO bread winners also happened during that time. I have no real problem with that except for 2 things: 1) Many of those 2 income families are either upper middle class (or better) or, both are not making enough to get into the middle class (and have to work). Both groups of which leads to number #2. 2) Who's spending the "required" time raising the kids? I'm not saying it has to be one or the other, but the time needs to come from somewhere.

Our infrastructure is a mess. Roads, bridges, city sewers, and so forth. It could keep a lot of people working for a long, and on going, time. It's nice to have music and the arts in school, but few are ever going to pay the bills with it. Sports are great for school, too. But again, just how many are going to make a living on it. WSU is on a great path with the Technical School. This needs to be brought back in high schools. I liked history in school (and still do), but most people don't really learn from it seems. Maybe more "personal responsibility for ones self and family" needs to be taught.

Comment

• protest.jpg

Last night? Nope. Inauguration Day 2017.

Or, 6 months into "Crossfire Hurricane." It continues.
                      Last edited by ShockingButTrue; June 2, 2020, 02:49 PM.

Comment

• I am in the wrong business. I'll bet sales of ammunition and guns are skyrocketing.

Comment

• https://www.lawofficer.com/retired-s...-during-riots/

his life didn't matter

Comment

• Why is it the left wing media was calling out conservatives as gun toting radicals that want to start a civil war? Why was it they were calling for the populous to be disarmed? Why is it that they said thoughtless right wing protestors were spreading Covid? Why is it that they are Now supporting rioters? It all seems to be connected. It’s projection.

If this continues, it will be a civil war. The major cities will be deserted and as the rioters move to the more rural areas, more blood shed will ensue. We don’t tolerate bad manners around here. Hopefully this burns out this week.
                            Livin the dream

Comment

• This is pissing me off. Like a 12 year-old, my curfew is in 45 minutes. Walmart was closed when I went there an hour ago. They had their entrances barricaded. Nothing is going to happen. If it was, it would have last night. My freedoms and civil liberties are being taken away. If I were sick, I couldn't get medicine, even Walgreens is closed.
                              There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Statistics from last night Screenshot_20200602-192228_Samsung Internet.jpgScreenshot_20200602-192340_Samsung Internet.jpgScreenshot_20200602-192200_Samsung Internet.jpg j8

Comment

Working...
                                X