Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rev Al To Minneapolis (what could go wrong?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rev Al To Minneapolis (what could go wrong?)

I don't think I would be attaching where I worked to something like this. It could cause dismissal with extreme prejudice.

As for Al, whenever I see this type of behavior (and it seems we see a lot of it on all sides, in many ways these days), I always think it is someone looking for trouble. And of course, when they find it, it usually does not go well for the 'looker'.

Comment

Reverand Algitator.

Comment

That guy’s still alive?
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Will the riots in Minne get worse going into the weekend?
          Livin the dream

Comment

I don't get the people that think the burning and looting is somehow justified

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
              I don't get the people that think the burning and looting is somehow justified
              It’s never justified. Acting out in such a manner is understandable, but still wrong, illegal, and should be prosecuted. It’s pretty simple...Gavin Floyd falling down instead of getting in the police car doesn’t justify his death. Gavin Floyd’s death does not justify burning down an autozone. At this point, the best we can do is put those responsible for his death in front of a jury.

When my 11 year old makes a face at my 8 year old, and my 8 year old hits him, they both get punished. If my German Shepherd is sad and eats my English Bulldogs toy, my GSD is still held accountable.
              Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post

It’s never justified. Acting out in such a manner is understandable, but still wrong, illegal, and should be prosecuted. It’s pretty simple...Gavin Floyd falling down instead of getting in the police car doesn’t justify his death. Gavin Floyd’s death does not justify burning down an autozone. At this point, the best we can do is put those responsible for his death in front of a jury.

When my 11 year old makes a face at my 8 year old, and my 8 year old hits him, they both get punished. If my German Shepherd is sad and eats my English Bulldogs toy, my GSD is still held accountable.
                I agree with everything you stated except that acting out in such a manner is understandable. In no possible way is it understandable. 2 wrongs do not make a right. They are burning businesses in their own part of town, which further hurts their economy....higher insurance for buildings, some companies don't come back, and others don't come in. It's stupid and puts a bad look on themselves, particularly when they go into the buildings they vandalize and start carry stuff out...….and this is all plastered on TV and videos.

There was absolutely no reason for that cop to do what he did, particularly for as long as he did it. Police departments need to get a handle on their personnel and convince them these kind of actions will be prosecuted.....successfully.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

I agree with everything you stated except that acting out in such a manner is understandable. In no possible way is it understandable. 2 wrongs do not make a right. They are burning businesses in their own part of town, which further hurts their economy....higher insurance for buildings, some companies don't come back, and others don't come in. It's stupid and puts a bad look on themselves, particularly when they go into the buildings they vandalize and start carry stuff out...….and this is all plastered on TV and videos.

There was absolutely no reason for that cop to do what he did, particularly for as long as he did it. Police departments need to get a handle on their personnel and convince them these kind of actions will be prosecuted.....successfully.
                  So, when I say I “understand” it, what I mean is that I understand the anger and outrage that it would instill in the local community. I don’t understand why someone would commit property damage against an innocent third party in retaliation. I get the emotion, but the actual escalation is never acceptable. I’m guessing we are aligned on this.
                  Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post

So, when I say I “understand” it, what I mean is that I understand the anger and outrage that it would instill in the local community. I don’t understand why someone would commit property damage against an innocent third party in retaliation. I get the emotion, but the actual escalation is never acceptable. I’m guessing we are aligned on this.
                    Yes. You can show your outrage and anger in a non-violent protest, but the other crap only hurts yourself (the people who live there) more.

Comment

Yes. You can show your outrage and anger in a non-violent protest, but the other crap only hurts yourself (the people who live there) more.
                      Absolutely, but Trump's comments are almost as bad as the looters ("When the looting starts, the shooting starts"). Where is the leadership from our President. My suggestions:
                      • Pretty obvious the officer did something illegal (i.e. official opression). Detain him until this gets sorted out. That gives the situation distance and distance and time will settle this down.
                      • President needs to strike a conciliatory tone while making statements that people who break the law will go to jail, instead of 1) advocating vigilante justice and 2) calling the mayor of Minneapolis 'weak' (instead of trying to help him).
                      #1 can happen, but I'm afraid #2 won't, given our President's track record in this space.

Comment

None of this should be particularly surprising with unemployment at 20%, the background of Philando Castile looming over the MPLS region, and the growing visceral rage over the spate of tragic deaths involving african americans.

I'm not excusing the behavior, as it is alarming, depressing, and sad. And as ShockTalk has said, ultimately hurts communities more than it helps. But it is not surprising. People are full of rage. People are unemployed. It's a tinderbox, no pun intended.
                        Last edited by wsushox1; May 29, 2020, 08:29 AM.
                        The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Originally posted by revenge_of_shocka_khan View Post

Absolutely, but Trump's comments are almost as bad as the looters ("When the looting starts, the shooting starts"). Where is the leadership from our President. My suggestions:
                          • Pretty obvious the officer did something illegal (i.e. official opression). Detain him until this gets sorted out. That gives the situation distance and distance and time will settle this down.
                          • President needs to strike a conciliatory tone while making statements that people who break the law will go to jail, instead of 1) advocating vigilante justice and 2) calling the mayor of Minneapolis 'weak' (instead of trying to help him).
                          #1 can happen, but I'm afraid #2 won't, given our President's track record in this space.
                          Are you trying some new bait on that hook? That dog doesn't hunt with me. (PS: I didn't vote for Trump, not in the primary or general)

I will, however, ask: Where are their community leaders to stop and not let this happen? Yes, the camera light is on brighter, but what outsiders see is not what they really what they want outsiders to see.

Comment

Are you trying some new bait on that hook? That dog doesn't hunt with me. (PS: I didn't vote for Trump, not in the primary or general)

I will, however, ask: Where are their community leaders to stop and not let this happen? Yes, the camera light is on brighter, but what outsiders see is not what they really what they want outsiders to see.
                            Community leaders across all levels spend too much time trolling and owning people on twitter instead of actually being in the community. It's an erosion of leadership at every level.
                            Last edited by wsushox1; May 29, 2020, 10:23 AM.
                            The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Originally posted by revenge_of_shocka_khan View Post

Trump says tons of things that are bad. I hadn’t heard this quote, but will take it at face value. It’s a bad look. It’s not helpful. It’s not as bad as looting, or close to it, just as looting isn’t as bad as murder. There are wide ranges of bad things.

Those that take serious offense at this quote, aren’t doing so because they were offended at Trump’s lack of leadership, but because they want to blame things on Trump. That’s also got its own degree of bad.
                              Livin the dream

Comment

Working...
                              X