Coronavirus 2019-nCov: Political Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post

Because we are shutting down basically all college sports, I would assume we have had a large number of college athlete deaths, right? Or has it been a large number of college athlete hospitalizations? Been looking over the interwebs and can't seem to find any stats on this at all.
    I only know of one D2 baseball player death as far as college athletics go. Not saying there aren't more, but that's the only one I know of.
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

I only know of one D2 baseball player death as far as college athletics go. Not saying there aren't more, but that's the only one I know of.
      Ok then...... you know my next question KungWu . What the hell is the reason then???

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

There’s not even anecdotal evidence.
        Not true.
        https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/...244812487.html

Then there's the major league pitcher (Red Sox) who has inflamation of his heart mucsle:
        https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/r...-19-infection/

I think you are practicing a little transferrence here, white people are relatively unaffected by the virus. Black and Latin people have a much different experience. I pointed this out last week. All you have to do is read news reports from the Lower Rio Grande Valley (LRGV) and it is very obvious. Corpus seems to have a lot of the same issues, they also have a very large latinx (couldn't resist) population.

While I think conditioning will help prevent adverse effects of the virus, I'm thinking that money is driving this decision. Very few kids will get sick, but if even a few of them are in sports (especially the big money-making ones), as ofthers have pointed out, this is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Comment

• Originally posted by revenge_of_shocka_khan View Post

Not true.
          https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/...244812487.html

Then there's the major league pitcher (Red Sox) who has inflamation of his heart mucsle:
          https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/r...-19-infection/

I think you are practicing a little transferrence here, white people are relatively unaffected by the virus. Black and Latin people have a much different experience. I pointed this out last week. All you have to do is read news reports from the Lower Rio Grande Valley (LRGV) and it is very obvious. Corpus seems to have a lot of the same issues, they also have a very large latinx (couldn't resist) population.

While I think conditioning will help prevent adverse effects of the virus, I'm thinking that money is driving this decision. Very few kids will get sick, but if even a few of them are in sports (especially the big money-making ones), as ofthers have pointed out, this is a lawsuit waiting to happen.
          Thanks for the correction. One anecdote for hospitalization = large number of college athlete deaths and hospitalizations. Also an anecdote for a pro baseball player (which I was aware of) and POC that aren’t young or athletes suffer.
          Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post

Ok then...... you know my next question KungWu . What the hell is the reason then???
            Because POC in the rio grande valley are dying.
            Livin the dream

Comment

No, more like this:
              https://www.wdsu.com/article/coronav...s-us/32960962#

"If you see an ambulance, can a personal injury lawyer be far behind?"

Risk analysis as it relates to legal liability is definitely driving this. And if the kids get sick, they can call "El Martillo Tejano"
              For over 50 years, Jim Adler has been helping Texans injured in accidents get the justice they deserve. Call us today. Consultations are FREE.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Dillon's, Walmart, QT, Target, home depot, Lowe's, Menard's, best buy, Sam's, Costco, PetSmart, car dealerships, gun shops, sports stores. ask any retail worker that worked during that.. they were busier than they have been in a long time during that. Especially Home Depot and Lowe's. The list of exceptions was huge.

I'll agree with you on the economic shutdown though. We managed to shut down our economy without actually accomplishing the goal of a shutdown. We also managed to prop up the big box retailers in the process while really killing the small guy

Did you work continuously? We can agree it's a good thing to not even consider doing it again, in any form. Take that experiment off the board. There's smarter, better ones out there.

Comment

SMH. Once flu season gets here, this country is going to go bat **** crazy.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

Did you work continuously? We can agree it's a good thing to not even consider doing it again, in any form. Take that experiment off the board. There's smarter, better ones out there.
                    I did. I have the ability to work remotely and stay as productive or actually more productive.

I agree it's a good thing to not consider it... But probably not for the same reason for you. We shouldn't consider it because there is no way to do it properly in the US. If done properly, it works and has been proven in other countries. What we did in April-Juneish was but an example of a shut down. It was a half measure. It is not evidence that shut downs don't work.

Either way.. yes we need to find a better way to manage this, but frankly I think that ship has sailed anyways. It was made political and now there is no way to get agreement or compliance on anything. Not even whether data is true. Doesn't mean we shouldn't do anything and just move on.. but it's going to drag on a hell of a lot longer than if we could just step back from politics once in a while

Comment

• The debate with reality wages on...

Meanwhile, we had 1,500 deaths yesterday. And death is not the only bad outcome with Covid-19.

There's an incredible amount of wasted effort being expended in this forum attempting to answer a very simple question while staying married to their political biases:

How should we proceed in the face of a novel and uncertain threat?

That question is fairly easy to answer for even the most borderline of rational people in normal circumstances: erring on the side of caution and care.

But in this fine forum, only a handful of people can come to that conclusion. Is it a coincidence that they are also the most politically unbiased as well?

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
                        The debate with reality wages on...

Meanwhile, we had 1,500 deaths yesterday. And death is not the only bad outcome with Covid-19.

There's an incredible amount of wasted effort being expended in this forum attempting to answer a very simple question while staying married to their political biases:

How should we proceed in the face of a novel and uncertain threat?

That question is fairly easy to answer for even the most borderline of rational people in normal circumstances: erring on the side of caution and care.

But in this fine forum, only a handful of people can come to that conclusion. Is it a coincidence that they are also the most politically unbiased as well?
                        What does erring on the side of caution look like to you for someone that has to physically work with other people everyday?
                        Livin the dream

Comment

What does erring on the side of caution look like to you for someone that has to physically work with other people everyday?
                          Wife had a coworker come down with Covid from a family member. He has worked in what is effectively a closet with 3 other people on a rotating basis. Everyone wore masks. No one else got sick. Anecdotal? Yes. But there are a number of these anecdotes. Where you are cooped up with others everyone should wear a mask. Large gatherings and small spaces should be avoided. Other than that, get on with life. Schools, assembly lines, packing plants are problematic. All windows and doors at schools, groceries, stores, restaurants, etc...should be open with fans creating positive airflow into the hallways and blown out. Take as much classwork outside as possible. All well and good until late October...

edit: you are nuts if you are taking a group exercise class indoors
                          Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Does anyone even know of a serious athlete that has had COVID, and suffered a life altering change? Anywhere?
                            ESPN has a story reporting that they may have found a link between Myocarditis and COVID. Big 10 has multiple athlete diagnosed with Myocarditis and may have driven the B10 to make their decision on football at this point.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ason-viability

Comment

• Originally posted by BOBB View Post

Wife had a coworker come down with Covid from a family member. He has worked in what is effectively a closet with 3 other people on a rotating basis. Everyone wore masks. No one else got sick. Anecdotal? Yes. But there are a number of these anecdotes. Where you are cooped up with others everyone should wear a mask. Large gatherings and small spaces should be avoided. Other than that, get on with life. Schools, assembly lines, packing plants are problematic. All windows and doors at schools, groceries, stores, restaurants, etc...should be open with fans creating positive airflow into the hallways and blown out. Take as much classwork outside as possible. All well and good until late October...
                              late October? The election is in early November

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post

late October? The election is in early November
                                Talking about Kansas weather, dude.
                                Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Working...
                                X