No announcement yet.

Anthropogenic Global Warming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Priuses are ubiquitous in Cali. Would you believe they've been selling them in America since 2000?

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
      Priuses are ubiquitous in Cali. Would you believe they've been selling them in America since 2000?
      Yes, and people who drive them get made fun of...even in Cali.

Comment

Priuses are ubiquitous in Cali. Would you believe they've been selling them in America since 2000?
        I would like to emulate California, again said by no one ever.
        Livin the dream

Comment

• Technology usually finds a way to catch up. No one ever envisioned air travel at Kitty Hawk either.

Comment

• I think one thing we need to consider is that power, whatever the source, is a net good, and it’s not even close. Cheap energy = human flourishing.

We should be good stewards of the environment, and CO2 does impact it, but pollution should be the main concern, not temperature.
            Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post
              Technology usually finds a way to catch up. No one ever envisioned air travel at Kitty Hawk either.
              Speaking of technology...

And yes, this is really coming. And you better believe I plan to buy one some day.

Comment

• Can we just hold off on all the slowing of the average temps increasing (because I know that we obviously can control it), until our climate ticks up a few dozen degrees or so, please? I don't need February to be in the 50s, but FFS at least let us eliminate that week or 2 of sub zero highs.

I'm a simple man and don't ask for much. If we're gonna change the climate for the better, lets change it for the better!! I want to know, I'm getting my money's worth for that $10 gallon of gas.
                "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

Yes, and people who drive them get made fun of...even in Cali.
                  I doubt the laughter bothered them much being able to drive in the HOV lane and claw back years of their life from the daily commute.

P.S. Yesterday's Prius drivers are in Tesla's now. The humiliation has subsided for them.

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
                    I think one thing we need to consider is that power, whatever the source, is a net good, and it’s not even close. Cheap energy = human flourishing.
                    Maybe when we were all cavemen. But today? Your statement is patently false. China has cheap energy and citizens have to walk the streets in masks because of the high particulate matter floating around. Would you call that flourishing?

Originally posted by wufan View Post
                    We should be good stewards of the environment, and CO2 does impact it, but pollution should be the main concern, not temperature.

Reducing pollution takes care of the temperature problem - or at least in as much as we can realistically impact it.

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
                      I think one thing we need to consider is that power, whatever the source, is a net good, and it’s not even close. Cheap energy = human flourishing.

And the best and cleanest way to do that is nuclear energy.
                      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Your not the only one dreaming that way. I had a neighbor who had one of those in his garage, and I never spoke to him about it, or saw how he used it. But that technology will change our world. How many people will die in those machine crashes? Will seat belts be required on them or will they add parachutes? No traffic lights? Air traffic laws, and right of ways? Consumer peril, lawsuits, enriched lawyers, air traffic controllers, flight pattern observers, and government intervention will be endless. What a world to dream about, and look forward to.

Comment

• The regulations that THIS country would put on something like that will keep it from happening ever in our lifetimes or the next. We must protect everyone from everything.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Your not the only one dreaming that way. I had a neighbor who had one of those in his garage, and I never spoke to him about it, or saw how he used it. But that technology will change our world. How many people will die in those machine crashes? Will seat belts be required on them or will they add parachutes? No traffic lights? Air traffic laws, and right of ways? Consumer peril, lawsuits, enriched lawyers, air traffic controllers, flight pattern observers, and government intervention will be endless. What a world to dream about, and look forward to.
                            In the beginning it will be the wild west, kind of like riding a dirt bike. Anybody climbing into one will assume a great deal of personal responsibility. But eventually, as their popularity begins to affect other people, laws and regulations will be necessary. This is needed to protect the masses from the lowest common denominator. It's just like property rights, which are the cornerstone of our free society. People deserve to not get broadsided, disabled or killed because one guy decides he always has the right-of-way. Everybody can't have the right-of-way, all the time.

This is the foundation of my world view when it comes to civilization.

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post
                              Technology usually finds a way to catch up. No one ever envisioned air travel at Kitty Hawk either.
                              Your first sentence is probably accurate. Your second sentence not so much.

Early flying machines include all forms of aircraft studied or constructed before the development of the modern aeroplane by 1910. The story of modern flight begins more than a century before the first successful manned aeroplane, and the earliest aircraft thousands of years before.

For example, On the 19th September 1783 Pilatre De Rozier, a scientist, launched the first hot air balloon called 'Aerostat Reveillon'. The passengers were a sheep, a duck and a rooster and the balloon stayed in the air for a grand total of 15 minutes before crashing back to the ground.

The first manned attempt came about 2 months later on 21st November, with a balloon made by 2 French brothers, Joseph and Etienne Montgolfier. The balloon was launched from the centre of Paris and flew for a period of 20 minutes. The birth of hot air ballooning!!!

Ironically, fossil fuels and internal combustion engine were technological advances that resulted in and accelerated major advances in standards of living and the development of new technologies themselves.
                              Last edited by 1972Shocker; December 10, 2021, 11:13 AM.

Comment

I doubt the laughter bothered them much being able to drive in the HOV lane and claw back years of their life from the daily commute.

P.S. Yesterday's Prius drivers are in Tesla's now. The humiliation has subsided for them.
                                All it takes is two passengers to drive in the HOV lane. Or like me you buy the Express Pass and zoom by everyone in my gas guzzling truck.

Comment

Working...
                                X