X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WstateU
    replied
    Also posted this in the movie thread…

Good for Hollywood and director Lee Isaac Chun.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/twiste...reach-audience

Leave a comment:

• pinstripers
    replied
    Put this in the category of “not shocked” We have covered this story closely and reported on the environmental threat posed by wind turbines. /Vineyard Wind shut down after turbine failure sends "sharp fiberglass shards" onto Nantucket beaches - CBS Boston

image.png

Leave a comment:

• Atxshoxfan
    replied
    Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Because if you go through the records, there's NEVER been a 4th of July on a Thursday where the temperature was an EXTREME 80+ degrees due to man made global warming while a Democrat was in office and a hurricane was hovering over Cancun while the Chiefs were the reigning Super Bowl champions.

It's never happened!!
    That explains it. How stupid of me!

Leave a comment:

• WstateU
    replied

Leave a comment:

• WuDrWu
    replied
    It's LITERALLY never happened.

Leave a comment:

• Kung Wu
    replied
    Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post
    Call me stupid, but how is it record setting if it's happened as bad or worse prior.
    Because if you go through the records, there's NEVER been a 4th of July on a Thursday where the temperature was an EXTREME 80+ degrees due to man made global warming while a Democrat was in office and a hurricane was hovering over Cancun while the Chiefs were the reigning Super Bowl champions.

It's never happened!!

Leave a comment:

• Atxshoxfan
    replied
    I was watching the weather on one of the main stream media national broadcasts the other day when they said that the heatwave was record breaking. Followed by, we haven't seen a heatwave like this in over 18 years.
    Call me stupid, but how is it record setting if it's happened as bad or worse prior.

Leave a comment:

• ShockerPrez
    replied
    I wasn't alive during the dust bowl years, but I'm guessing it was worse then. I know that there were other issues with the land/farming, etc that contributed, but still. I'll take this climate.

Leave a comment:

• ShockTalk
    replied
    Originally posted by ABC View Post
    I'm really getting fatigued with all of this talk of "unprecedented" heat waves. Some commentators use the word unprecedented at the same time they talk about current temperature highs matching highs in 1912, 1925, 1936, 1955, 1966, 1973, 1980, 1988, etc etc. That is not the proper use of the word UNPRECEDENTED !!!
    Number of 100-degree days for Wichita, 2011 (56 days) and 2012 (36), is the most in back-to-back years. While not consecutive years, 1934 (40) and 1936 (50) totaled 90.

Leave a comment:

• ABC
    replied
    I'm really getting fatigued with all of this talk of "unprecedented" heat waves. Some commentators use the word unprecedented at the same time they talk about current temperature highs matching highs in 1912, 1925, 1936, 1955, 1966, 1973, 1980, 1988, etc etc. That is not the proper use of the word UNPRECEDENTED !!!

Leave a comment:

• SubGod22
    replied
    Pioneering Zero-Emissions Hydrogen Fuel-Cell-Powered Ship Successfully Tested in Japan

A consortium of Japanese firms has conducted successfully a demonstration of the first ever zero-emissions ship above 20 gross tons.

Sailing 30 kilometers between the Port of Kokura and the Shirashima Offshore Wind Farm, the HANARIA was powered entirely by hydrogen fuel cells.

An island nation, 10.25 million tons of carbon emissions from Japan’s transportation sector came from coastal shipping and transport. In 2015, former Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga outlined carbon neutrality by 2050 as a major component of Japan’s development strategy, in line with the Paris Climate Agreement, and major steps need to be taken to achieve that.

The Nippon Foundation, a research and development fund dedicated to passing the riches of the sea intact to future generations, worked in tandem with manufacturers and shipping operators to develop a suite of hydrogen-powered, zero-emission vessels for use in shipping and coastal transport.

Hydrogen is manufactured by using an electrical current to split water molecules into hydrogen and oxygen. The pure hydrogen can then be used as a substitute for heavy engine fuels like diesel and kerosene in a fuel-cell vehicle. If the hydrogen is manufactured with green energy, it’s known as ‘green hydrogen’.

A passenger ship, HANARIA spans 108 feet, (33 meters) weighs 248 gross tons, and is equipped with a hydrogen fuel system. She is expected to be used for transporting personnel to the offshore wind farm and for site tours.
    They also plan to test a yacht and tanker powered by hydrogen in the next couple of years.

Leave a comment:

• WuDrWu
    replied
    When it improves my quality of life and pocketbook, I'll be a buyer.

As long as I have to have plan one extra second to drive out of town, I wouldn't give an EV the time of day.

Leave a comment:

• asiseeit
    replied
    There are many significant factors that keep me from ever buying an EV but THE biggest factor, for me, is the government wanting to force me into it. It's also the reason I never took the COVID shot.

Leave a comment:

• SubGod22
    replied
    Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
    The biggest reason EV owners cited for wanting to return to owning a gas-powered vehicle was the lack of available charging infrastructure (35%); the second-highest reason cited was that the total cost of owning an EV was too high (34%). Nearly 1 in 3, 32%, said their driving patterns on long-distance trips were affected too much due to having an EV.
    This has always been my concern with EVs and why I wouldn't buy one right now. If charging was a quicker process with good to great range and readily available everywhere like gas stations are they'd make much more sense.

This could begin to change and change some minds down the road as new and improved batteries and charging stations come online and the infrastructure grows. I know there are areas of the country that continue to add to the network of chargers. My employer does some work and has some contracts for installation and maintenance of such things. Not a huge part of our business, but a part we got into because of the expected growth within the industry.

When I travel my general rule is I'm not going to go more than 12 hours away from where I'm at. If I'm in an EV and have to charge a time or two it would really cut down on the radius of where my destination could be. I believe going from KC to Denver takes an extra two hours in an EV than it does in a gas vehicle. For some people, that's not a big deal but for others it's a deal breaker.

Leave a comment:

• 1972Shocker
    replied
    Buyer's Remorse: Nearly half of American EV owners want to switch back to gas-powered vehicle, McKinsey data shows

McKinsey & Co.'s Mobility Consumer Pulse for 2024, released this month, found that 46% of EV owners in the U.S. said they were "very" likely to switch back to owning a gas-powered vehicle in their next purchase.​

The high percentage of Americans who want to make a switch even surprised the consulting firm.

"I didn't expect that," the head of McKinsey's Center for Future Mobility, Philipp Kampshoff, told Automotive News. "I thought, 'Once an EV buyer, always an EV buyer.'"

In the poll of nearly 37,000 consumers worldwide, Australia was the only country with a greater percentage, 49%, of EV owners than the U.S. who said they were ready to return to owning an internal combustion engine.

The other countries included in the survey were Brazil, China, France, Germany, Italy, Japan and Norway. Across all countries surveyed, the average share of respondents who want to ditch their EVs was 29%.

The biggest reason EV owners cited for wanting to return to owning a gas-powered vehicle was the lack of available charging infrastructure (35%); the second-highest reason cited was that the total cost of owning an EV was too high (34%). Nearly 1 in 3, 32%, said their driving patterns on long-distance trips were affected too much due to having an EV.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X