• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vbird53
    Originally posted by BA2929
    Case study:

Hawaii Warriors.

Outcome: Undefeated 2007 season.

Consolation: No chance in hell at the BCS National Championship.

Could you imagine if Wichita State had absolutely no chance at the Men's Basketball Championship? What in the world are they playing for? Beginning the season knowing that there is no chance to accomplish your goal of being the best?
    If WSU ever went undefeated in College Basketball does anybody think they'd get a #1 seed in the tourny? I hate to say it, but I don't think they would.
    I never said anything about a #1 seed. They would certainly be in the dance with a shot at winning it all if they went undefeated. Hawaii has no chance. Big difference.
    I was agreeing with you. The only real similarity between the basketball tournament and the BCS are the rankings for teams in the basketball tourny. Since the BCS rules the world, the NCAA seems to reward them more in the basketball tournament, similar to rewarding BCS conference teams in the BCS bowl games. There is rarely a "mid-major" school that gets a top 4 seed in the NCAA Basketball tournament, unless they prove year in and year out that they can compete at a higher level (Gonzaga, SIU). - I was just pointing out that if WSU went undefeated next season in basketball with a less than amazing track record over the past 5-7 seasons, that they would probably get snubbed by the NCAA and get knocked out of a #1 seed and an easier road to a National Title.
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    -- Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
      What we keep forgeting is that the system works PERFECTLY and is not going to change for the benefit of the fans anytime soon.

The system was designed to generate and more importantly, keep and control, as much revenue as possible controlled by the small # of major schools. Period, end of story, good night.

It is exactly the same thing that ND has been doing for years. The BCS just wanted in on the gig.

They all make me puke and I am a fan of one of the biggest participants and I still want to puke.

I agree. The BCS was designed to get 2 teams into the national title game (as well as the money). What they should do in the future is only give out the top 4 teams of the BCS to the public, because that's all that really matters.
      And it failed. USC and OU are the 2 best teams in the country, IMO. In the current situation, you cannot tell me that LSU or Ohio State are better, and I can't tell you that USC and OU are better. In other words, it must be decided on the field. There is no proof either way, that any of those 4 is better than another.
      The BCS fails each year unless they get lucky. Its a joke and needs to be changed. If they want to keep using it, then use the top 8-12-16 teams in it to form a tournament.
      -- Yogi Berra

Comment

I was just pointing out that if WSU went undefeated next season in basketball with a less than amazing track record over the past 5-7 seasons, that they would probably get snubbed by the NCAA and get knocked out of a #1 seed and an easier road to a National Title.
        Probably would depend a lot on how strong the Valley was that particular year and of course WSU's ooc schedule. If those two things were in place...I think WSU would have a strong argument to get a #1 seed. What if we went undefeated last year with that schedule we played and how strong the Valley was? Plus all the good pub the Valley received. Geez we were up to #8 in a hurry. Imagine running the table. We would probably be ranked #1 at some point. Surely that would be good for a #1 seed. At least we would hope it would be. :good:
        FINAL FOURS:
        1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
        1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
        Number of Times Ranked: 157
        Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
        Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
        Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
        #3 - Dec. 2017
        #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
        #2 ~ March 2014
        Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Originally posted by AZ Shocker
          I was just pointing out that if WSU went undefeated next season in basketball with a less than amazing track record over the past 5-7 seasons, that they would probably get snubbed by the NCAA and get knocked out of a #1 seed and an easier road to a National Title.
          Probably would depend a lot on how strong the Valley was that particular year and of course WSU's ooc schedule. If those two things were in place...I think WSU would have a strong argument to get a #1 seed. What if we went undefeated last year with that schedule we played and how strong the Valley was? Plus all the good pub the Valley received. Geez we were up to #8 in a hurry. Imagine running the table. We would probably be ranked #1 at some point. Surely that would be good for a #1 seed. At least we would hope it would be. :good:

Good points, I had forgotten how quickly we jumped to #8. Saint Joseph's is in the A-10 ended the regular season in 2003/04 with a 27-0 record and secured a #1 ranking and a #1 seed in the NCAA tournament. I must have just been blinded by the BCS and all their shenanigans! - Hawii's SOS was 118th or 119th and I think that is why they were left out of the BCS national title game. But then again, KU's was 109th to Mizzou's 26th (?) and they got in, so who knows what those guys are thinking.
          -- Yogi Berra

Comment

I was agreeing with you.
            As you should.

:D

Comment

Hawaii played the 118th ranked schedule in the country. They beat 1 team with a winning record.

And just for comparison, last year Boise State beat 5 teams with winning records, and another with a .500 record. 3 of those teams were out of conference games.

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieHog
                Hawaii played the 118th ranked schedule in the country. They beat 1 team with a winning record.
                so there punished cuz they play in a non BCS conference. Its just not right. I think they are gonna Beat Georgia!
                Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

Originally posted by newshock1234
                  so there punished cuz they play in a non BCS conference. Its just not right. I think they are gonna Beat Georgia!

Of Boise's 5 wins against winning teams last year, 3 of those were OOC.

Hawaii did not play a team OOC this year that had a winning record.

I will give them credit for Washington since nobody expected them to suck.

I got Georgia in the Sugar Bowl.

Comment

I must have just been blinded by the BCS and all their shenanigans.
                    Easy to do. :(

Does anyone remember a few years ago when Oklahoma LOST to Kansas St. in the Big-12 Championship game but somehow still went on to go play in the National Championship GAME??? What ever happened to losing games late in the season??? :roll:

Why couldn't Mizzou have done the same then???

And of course everyone remembers K-State losing to A&M in the Big-12 Championship game but getting totally screwed and not even going to a BCS game at all.
                    FINAL FOURS:
                    1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                    1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                    Number of Times Ranked: 157
                    Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                    Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                    Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                    #3 - Dec. 2017
                    #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                    #2 ~ March 2014
                    Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

And of course everyone remembers K-State losing to A&M in the Big-12 Championship game but getting totally screwed and not even going to a BCS game at all.

I remember in 2002, Arkansas lost the SEC Championship Game and ended up in the MUSIC CITY BOWL. :(

Comment

Does anyone remember a few years ago when Oklahoma LOST to Kansas St. in the Big-12 Championship game but somehow still went on to go play in the National Championship GAME??? What ever happened to losing games late in the season??? :roll:

KSU went to the Alamo Bowl that year and lost to a Drew Brees led Purdue team. Sounds similar to Mizzou this year, except Missouri didn't get completely screwed over like KSU did that year. - When you are #1 in the country and lose your conference championship game, you should make a BCS bowl game. One Championship game shouldn't decide if you play for the National Title, or for the Cotton Bowl trophy against the #4 SEC team. (This is coming from a guy who HATES Missouri with a passion)
                        -- Yogi Berra

Comment

If there was a 16 team playoff, everybody would be bitching about that 17th team that got screwed out of their spot.

Comment

If there was a 16 team playoff, everybody would be bitching about that 17th team that got screwed out of their spot.

I'd rather have the 17th team complain than the #3, #4, #5, #6 and #7 teams who all have the same credentials as the two teams in the NC game.
                            -- Yogi Berra

Comment

o well Michael Bishop was a ***** and a dumbass, i got some stories i can share about him
                              Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

And just for comparison, last year Boise State beat 5 teams with winning records, and another with a .500 record. 3 of those teams were out of conference games.
                                But nobody would play them. Michigan State paid a $250,000 buyout and got out of their game. Typical big conference rhetoric....everybody jump on them and say they didn't play anybody, but those same schools are the ones who refuse to schedule lower level teams that can actually beat them.

Comment

Working...
                                X