No announcement yet.

June 5, 2008 weather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That seems like a good thing to me. I'd prefer not to have too many more Greensburg's.

Comment

Early and linear.. go figure.

As always, any expectations anymore for a major tornado outbreak always are let down by a number of factors. Good news for the public, bad news for weather enthusiasts and storm chasers.

I bet we'll be lucky to get 1 F-3 out of the whole deal.
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

AT 108 PM CDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE METEOROLOGISTS WERE TRACKING A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING UP TO QUARTER SIZE HAIL...AND DAMAGING WINDS UP TO 60 MPH. THIS STORM WAS LOCATED 31 MILES SOUTH OF DORRANCE...OR NEAR GREAT BEND...AND MOVING NORTHEAST AT 64 MPH.
        64!!! :shock:

Talk about "chase"!

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever
          As always, any expectations anymore for a major tornado outbreak always are let down by a number of factors. Good news for the public, bad news for weather enthusiasts and storm chasers.
          Well that area is out west and moving northeast. If Wichita is going to get hit by a tornado, it`ll come from Clearwater or any area SW of town. That area is still juiced and untouched by any storms.

Comment

I'm not a weather-watcher, so I guess my uninformed mine is curious about one thing as far as the doom and gloom forecast goes for this afternoon:

Aren't we lacking one significant ingredient for serious storm cells (at least as far as the cloud-covered Wichita area goes), that being hot temperatures. I know it's fairly disgusting out, but my little accuweather bar on my firefox browser only shows a current temp of 79 degrees- far from hot. Won't our cloud cover, and resultant cooler temps, mediate the storm formation somewhat?

Comment

We're showing 85 degrees here just NE of Wichita. Temps were expected to get into the low 90s
              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

That cloud cover could burn off and allow some fairly quick surface heating later this afternoon. If that happens and the storms develop SW of Wichita, there wouldn't be too much impedence for them to turn severe.

Comment

AT 130 PM CDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE METEOROLOGISTS WERE TRACKING A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING UP TO QUARTER SIZE HAIL...AND DAMAGING WINDS UP TO 60 MPH. THIS STORM WAS LOCATED 12 MILES SOUTH OF WILSON LAKE...OR 16 MILES WEST OF ELLSWORTH...AND MOVING NORTHEAST AT 75 MPH.
                  For cying out freaking loud. 75?!?!?!?

Can we give that thing a speeding ticket?

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock
                    AT 130 PM CDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE METEOROLOGISTS WERE TRACKING A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING UP TO QUARTER SIZE HAIL...AND DAMAGING WINDS UP TO 60 MPH. THIS STORM WAS LOCATED 12 MILES SOUTH OF WILSON LAKE...OR 16 MILES WEST OF ELLSWORTH...AND MOVING NORTHEAST AT 75 MPH.
                    For cying out freaking loud. 75?!?!?!?

Can we give that thing a speeding ticket?
                    lol!!

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
                      We're showing 85 degrees here just NE of Wichita. Temps were expected to get into the low 90s
                      The highest I could find was 82 currently at McConnell AFB on weather.com.

I know it's supposed to hit the low 90's today, but barely breaking 80 at mid-afternoon isn't really indicative of jumping another 15 before evening cooling starts to take affect (barring some change like RS mentioned). I think it was already 77 when I flipped on the TV at 6:45 this morning before work, so it's only risen 5 or so degrees in over 7 hours with the clouds.

Thanks for the feedback on my Q though guys.

Anyways, here's to hoping that we return to a more normal late-spring weather pattern, and it's dryer and cooler 82-83 degrees. It's way too stinking early to feel like this until October. :-x

Comment

We finally have enough instability in place for supercells. The clouds broke up just in time to get some heating in place. The sun angle at this time year warms the surface up pretty quick, so heat isn't a factor. In fact for severe weather purposes, the clouds have been kind of a blessing in the dewpoints are staying up with the lower temps. In Woodward, OK, east of the dryline, temperatures are up to 91, but the dewpoint is only 57. Not as much moisture out there..

The cells have some pretty good cores on em. They seem to be separating ever so slightly.

So far though, no eastward movement with the entire line at all whatsoever.
                        Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

The clouds really are moving along at a pretty decent pace. We keep getting sunshine here for a couple of minutes then it disappears for a few before coming back out. I'm not really in a position to check the south and west of my location though.

Is some of the cloud cover breaking up?
                          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Here's a link to a page that refreshes with all the latest warnings. I find it useful.

Comment

I really don't care what happens, I just hope all this mess waits to invade Wichita metro until after 5:00 so I can get home to the....

The hail we've been having lately is really starting to grate on my nerves and make this car guy paranoid.

Comment

You're Ricky Bobby. Don't you have a backup car in the trailer?

:lol:

Comment

Working...
                                X