June 5, 2008 weather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• June 5, 2008 weather

Anyone that lives in North central down to South central Kansas better keep an eye on the weather tomorrow (Thursday). Some people are predicting that tomorrow could be bad or worse than June 8, 1974.

Here`s a link with info and photos from that day:

Why is it always when I have a softball game? Last night we played a lot longer than we should have considering the amount of lighting around. One of our players was preparing to leave before the game was called. Nobody felt safe on either team. Maybe we'll be staying in tomorrow...
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Keep an eye on this link: http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/outlook/

On the current day's outlook you can click the map for more detail and the individual probabilities for tornado, wind and hail. But keep in mind that the percentages are the probability that the event (tornado, wind or hail, whichever you are looking at) will occur within 25 miles of any point within the marked area.

Also watch this one: http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/watch/

It shows all the current convective watches. You can click on one of the "watch boxes" for more detailed information about what is going on and what is expected in that area. If a "PDS" (Particularly Dangerous Situation) watch appears, then the Storm Prediction Center folks are expecting some serious tornadic activity.

Comment

Im off tomorrow.
        But I plan on being in Derby all day for my sons baseball camp. And he has his first game at 6

crap

Comment

I was talking to my sister-in-law and she was saying that they don't expect the weather to hit until tomorrow evening. She said 830ish for this area. Not sure how accurate she is but I hope she's right. I'd hate to have another game cancelled due to weather. But thanks for the links. I'll check them out more later. I have a great deal of respect for Mother Nature. One of these days I'm gonna have to find a storm chaser to hang out with. I think my boy Swift is probably a little too busy anymore.
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

If you see these guys acting nervously, you should be, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkpl68bfCtM

Comment

Is that a home made tank of some kind? :D
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

That is the TIV (Tornado Intercept Vehicle). Some guys from California took a Ford truck chassis, built a frame and covered it in armor. The idea is to drive it into the path of a tornado and lower it down to the ground. The turret is made mostly of strong plexiglass with IMAX cameras.

They tend to hang around the DOW trucks (Doppler On Wheels), pictured above.

As for tomorrow, some of the chasers on the site Ben linked to (earlier today as I haven't had time to check for updates) seem to think storms will begin firing along the dry line in the heat of the afternoon.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock
                  That is the TIV (Tornado Intercept Vehicle). Some guys from California took a Ford truck chassis, built a frame and covered it in armor. The idea is to drive it into the path of a tornado and lower it down to the ground. The turret is made mostly of strong plexiglass with IMAX cameras.
                  whats to keep it on the ground once its lowered?

Comment

From what I understand, they try to assess how strong the tornado is and if it's too strong, they stay back. If not, I guess they figure the weight will be enough to keep it stationary in the strong winds.

I think they claimed to have had a successful intercept a couple of years ago, but I'm not sure. It might have even been the Mulvane tornado from 2004.

In case anyone is interested, here is some of the video I shot of that tornado: http://youtube.com/watch?v=UCHh8TeZ7MY

Comment

wxkid23 could probably provide more info on the TIV as I think he's still more into chasing than I have been.

EDIT: Intersting story about the video I posted. My wife and I headed out to chase. When we found the developing supercell we came up on a group of vehicles that were on a side road. I stopped and talked to a couple of them. They were all chasers, of course, and one of them invited us to tag along. I found out after the fact that one of the chasers in that group was none other than wxkid23.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock
                        From what I understand, they try to assess how strong the tornado is and if it's too strong, they stay back. If not, I guess they figure the weight will be enough to keep it stationary in the strong winds.

I think they claimed to have had a successful intercept a couple of years ago, but I'm not sure. It might have even been the Mulvane tornado from 2004.

In case anyone is interested, here is some of the video I shot of that tornado: http://youtube.com/watch?v=UCHh8TeZ7MY
                        That's amazing video! It gave me chills. Good luck out there tomorrow.
                        Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

There are some even better videos of that tornado on YouTube. Several are probably in the "related vides" of the one I posted.

Comment

have you guys had any tornadoes down there in KS yet this year? they've been in my area the past couple weeks here in NE but as with the other 33 yrs of my life none have hit the town i am in.

Comment

We've definitely had them, though most have been in the western half. There were three days in a row last week (Memorial Day weekend) where they got nailed each day.

Comment

Working...
                              X