No announcement yet.

Orlando

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Developed for the military, the AR-15 has been used in every war since Vietnam. It's also used in mass shootings.

Why the AR-15 is the weapon of choice for mass shooters.

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
      This is a simple definition (some would say too simple) but my stab at it would be a military weapon as compared to weapon intended for civilians.
      Ugh. Many believe that civilians shouldn't have weapons. The truth is that "assault" rifles are hunting rifles with handles and short stocks.
      Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
        Ugh. Many believe that civilians shouldn't have weapons. The truth is that "assault" rifles are hunting rifles with handles and short stocks.
        and high capacity clipazines.

All my hunting rifles are modified decommissioned military weapons. They are so heavily modified that they dont even look like military rifles. In fact, the best bolt action rifles are rebarreled Mauser actions with custom stocks. The AR platform is the new mauser. There are so many different calibers that it is crazy. You can put a bolt action .50 cal on an AR 15 lower. You can put a 300 win mag on a AR 10 lower. Standard ar15s shoot a 223/5.56 bullet. Standard AR10s shoot a 308/7.62 bullet. Here is a 223, 308, 300 win mag.

Now what people are doing is putting the 308 bullet in a 223 case. 300 blackout.

Scary? Good. Thats how democrat leaders want you to feel. Most of the democrats calling for confisaction and bans are lifetime politicians. They are interested in increased power only. They are the ones that want riots, violence, and even killings because they want the public to be afraid. The more afaid the public is, the more likely they are to turn to a higher power for protection. Its all a game of cat and mouse.
        People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Does anyone know if Syria and Iraq have banned large knives, rocks, acid, water, and the acceleration due to gravity?

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post
            and high capacity clipazines.

All my hunting rifles are modified decommissioned military weapons. They are so heavily modified that they dont even look like military rifles. In fact, the best bolt action rifles are rebarreled Mauser actions with custom stocks. The AR platform is the new mauser. There are so many different calibers that it is crazy. You can put a bolt action .50 cal on an AR 15 lower. You can put a 300 win mag on a AR 10 lower. Standard ar15s shoot a 223/5.56 bullet. Standard AR10s shoot a 308/7.62 bullet. Here is a 223, 308, 300 win mag.

Now what people are doing is putting the 308 bullet in a 223 case. 300 blackout.

Scary? Good. Thats how democrat leaders want you to feel. Most of the democrats calling for confisaction and bans are lifetime politicians. They are interested in increased power only. They are the ones that want riots, violence, and even killings because they want the public to be afraid. The more afaid the public is, the more likely they are to turn to a higher power for protection. Its all a game of cat and mouse.

So we should allow our brothers and sisters to get senselessly slaughtered so you can make people feel afraid of you?
            The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Also, you guys do know that Raegan, the right wing messiah, supported the assault rifle ban in the 80's?

Don't take me as anti-gun, i just purchased my first pistol to conceal and carry. But assault rifles that have been heavily modified, armed with legally bought high capacity magazines are weapons of mass destruction
              The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
                So they are hunting rifles who allow one to hunt and kill many animals or humans in a very short burst of time. I get it.

Comment

My son who works at Disney knew one of those killed at the Pulse and knows another that was on the back patio when things escalated and got away unharmed. He met them both working at Disney.
                  "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                  ---------------------------------------
                  Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                  "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                  "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post

This is beginning to transcend political parties. I have republican friends who believe that there ought to be limits on who should be allowed to buy an assault rifle, and especially how large a clip they can purchase.

The NRA and the republicans they bankroll are ignorant and tone-deaf to the fact that there are a whole lot of people who aren't extreme on this issue (and who are republicans) who think that the time is way past for continuing to stonewall this issue.

You, as law-abiding citizen, want to use these weapons to hunt with (and I bet you don't have a 100 bullet drum, either), and I believe you have a right to be able to do this. I just don't think you ought to be able to buy two 30 bullet clips, or a 100 bullet drum or anything similar. You get a 10-shot clip and that's it. If you want to shoot 20 rounds, you will have to change clips. Sorry for your inconvenience, but if you're using this gun for sport, then I would like to hear you explain the justification for having to shoot 20 times to hit a target.

In addition, I also don't believe that everyone is a sane, law-abiding citizen. You might be, but there are a lot of people who aren't. We had a vet with PTSD here is Houston who killed 2 people and wounded 10 before a police sniper took him out a couple of weeks ago. At the beginning of his rampage, someone with a concealed permit tried to stop him and got shot four times for his trouble. If this vet had been in a nightclub or a shopping mall, there would have been mass casualties. We were lucky he was in an auto detailing business and shooting at people walking/driving by, as he got off 125 rounds before he got killed.

Cooling-off periods (for the purchase of assault rifles and yes, I do include the AK-47 in that group) for purchase, limiting the size of clips that can be purchased and not letting people who are crazy buy guns are all common-sense pieces of legislation that most people agree on. Most people, that is, who aren't drinking the NRA's kool-aid.

Like most other issues in this country, there are nuts who are extreme on both sides.

Comment

Originally posted by wsushox1 View Post
                      Also, you guys do know that Raegan, the right wing messiah, supported the assault rifle ban in the 80's?

Don't take me as anti-gun, i just purchased my first pistol to conceal and carry. But assault rifles that have been heavily modified, armed with legally bought high capacity magazines are weapons of mass destruction
                      You represent the people I'm commenting about to a "t". Thanks for your post. I was skeptical about concealed carry at one time, but I now am convinced it is a deterrent to most crime (unless you're face to face with someone armed with one of those assault rifles you talk about above).

Comment

Did anyone watch HBO's Real Sports a couple of weeks ago? They focused on the growing popularity among gun enthusiasts about the AR-15. It is being marketed as a "Sporting Rifle", not as an assault rifle. They also interviewed the original designer of the M-16/AR-15 and asked what the difference was between the two - he stated absolutely nothing.

To get away from the negative stigma the words assault rifle carries, the makers of the AR-15, dealers, advertisers, etc are using the term 'Sporting Rifle'. However, no matter what name these folks apply or call it, there is absolutely no difference other than semi-auto v. auto capabilities. It is an interesting view.

#HBO #RealSportsSubscribe to HBO Sports: http://itsh.bo/10qIJDlLawrence Keane, senior vice president and general counsel of the National Shooting Sports Foun...

Comment

An alternative proposal would be to allow an individual to buy an assault weapon (however defined) but they must keep it at a shooting range. You can go and impress your friends, get your thrills, etc. but can't take it off the premises. Ammo limited to shooting range as well. If you fear government takeover, the shooting range owner can open the case and allow access. While VERY unlikely, should suffice to calm the "fight off the government" fears.

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox View Post
                            Did anyone watch HBO's Real Sports a couple of weeks ago? They focused on the growing popularity among gun enthusiasts about the AR-15. It is being marketed as a "Sporting Rifle", not as an assault rifle. They also interviewed the original designer of the M-16/AR-15 and asked what the difference was between the two - he stated absolutely nothing.

To get away from the negative stigma the words assault rifle carries, the makers of the AR-15, dealers, advertisers, etc are using the term 'Sporting Rifle'. However, no matter what name these folks apply or call it, there is absolutely no difference other than semi-auto v. auto capabilities. It is an interesting view.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4ksHGaIoG4
                            Except the semi auto v. Auto is everything. The AR, which I don't own, is engineered the same as any semi, in any caliber. The gun is simply stylized and customizable. none of the customizations make it any more effective as an "assault" weapon. I've never seen marines storm the beaches with scopes. None of these shooters used tripods. Maybe one of them used a detachable flashlight, but I don't know for sure.

In close confines, a modified HMR 17 could do a shitload more damage. Smaller caliber, lightweight, concealable, super cheap ammo and simple to use. The AR simply has the bad reputation, so idiots search it out to do damage.

Ban the AR, so what? Terrorists will still get the AR that they want, or they'll move to a .243, HMR or .270. France has the most restrictive gun laws in the world, yet is the European hub for gun traffiking. The gun ban in France hasn't stopped any terrorist activities.
                            There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

"there is absolutely no difference other than semi-auto v. auto capabilities. It is an interesting view."

THAT IS ALL THE DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                                "there is absolutely no difference other than semi-auto v. auto capabilities. It is an interesting view."

THAT IS ALL THE DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD
                                I remember when the military quit buying fully automatic weapons because they were more impressed with currently available civilian assault rifles.
                                There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Working...
                                X