Decrim Petition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
    I attended WSU in the late '60's and early '70's. I was a dormie - lived in Brennan, Wheatshocker and Fairmount. I missed some time for participation in a military exercise active at that time. When I came back from my military participation, I don't know about the commuter students, the live-at-home part-time adult students, or the frats, but the dorms and the renters south of campus ...the non-users were the minority. I knew A LOT of pot smokers.

I've probably known over 100 pot smokers who quit. I've never seen any evidence of withdrawl. Some struggled a bit because they liked getting stoned and didn't want to give up that relaxation and enjoyment, but it wsa nothing like quitting smoking or an alcoholic giving up booze.

Take a 20-year study on almost anything and you're going to find problems. Welbutrin, Chantix, oxycontin, Lyrica, and a host of other common medications are brutal over a 20-year usage. Tobacco and alcohol have no beneficial qualities and a plethora of negative effects, but they're legal. Do a 20-year study on those and you'll find horror stories. The primary side effect of marijuana is a feeling of relaxation and happiness. I'm willing to give that choice to people, but I expect them to be responsible in pursuing that. Just like I expect them to be responsible in their use of other drugs they use for the same effect - alcohol.

In my experience, I'd much sooner be around bunch of people who've been smoking pot than be around a bunch of people who've been drinking alcohol. The alcohol consumers are more prone to erratic and violent behavior. The marijuanaa smokers are more likely to sit in a chair, listen to some music, say some things that make no sense, and from time to time laugh for no apparent reason.

I've given the topic considerable study and have some personal experience. Compared to alcohol, tobacco, heroin, cocaine, crack, ecstasy, and crystal meth, marijuana is relatively harmless. I say that even though I don't have experience with all of those.

By criminalizing pot, it is associated with meth, cocaine, and heroin. Teens are regularly exposed to marijuana and that is often their first illegal drug. Pot isn't the evil drug out of "Reefer Madness" that it's been made out to be and they are smart enough to figure that out. Pots' association with the hard drugs and the marketing of the hard drugs by the same dealers who sell pot is probably the major factor in marijuana being considered a gateway drug.
    Whether you want to believe it or not, this is the truth ^^

Comment

• Idk, whether it is pot, other illegal drugs, alcohol, glue, paint or whatever your choice - what is your pain that is causing you to want to kill your brain cells? I don't get it. And like '72 only have seen it cause pain (mainly for other family members).

Comment

• Because it's illegal, if you legalize it that problem goes away because you aren't a criminal for smoking marijuana and we would get a lot of tax revenue from it.

Comment

• Originally posted by DanielBryan View Post
          Because it's illegal, if you legalize it that problem goes away because you aren't a criminal for smoking marijuana and we would get a lot of tax revenue from it.
          perfect thx

Comment

Because it's illegal, if you legalize it that problem goes away because you aren't a criminal for smoking marijuana and we would get a lot of tax revenue from it.
            So is that how easy it is to solve problems in this world?

Got it.
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• It is obvious that I'm losing the debate on this forum at least. Very few seem to agree with my traditional, conservative, Christian views/values. I'll leave further debating to you and go back to praying for a world/country that in my opinion is in decline. I'm optimistic about the Shockers (and I hope we can all agree on that) but not about where everything else is going.

Go Shocks.

Comment

• There is some truth to what Shockmonster says. I was fervent believer in complete legalization/decriminalization. Until I visited Denver a few weeks back. The downtown area is completely overrun by bums and burnouts. Now maybe in a few years Denver/Seattle/Portland will figure it out, but I wouldn't want my town's downtown to be overrun like that. The states have always been laboratories for social policy to play itself out. Let's let it play out.
                Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                  It is obvious that I'm losing the debate on this forum at least. Very few seem to agree with my traditional, conservative, Christian views/values. I'll leave further debating to you and go back to praying for a world/country that in my opinion is in decline.
                  In all seriousness, maybe this is part of your problem? It must be hard to see all of us sinners from way up there- life as a righteous hammer of judgment is usually pretty lonely.

Christian and marijuana legalization are not mutually exclusive terms.

Comment

• Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
                    In all seriousness, maybe this is part of your problem? It must be hard to see all of us sinners from way up there- life as a righteous hammer of judgment is usually pretty lonely.

Christian and marijuana legalization are not mutually exclusive terms.
                    Well I am not without problems.

Please count me in as a sinner too. My bible tells me that we are all sinners and that there is only one way to cover that sin. Some may agree with this view and some may not. However, I don't rationalize sin, by going to confession but living however I want to in between. "Living and doing whatever feels good is not what brings true joy. The condition of the heart is what is important. I just try to live my life the best that I can. By the way, I'm not a total abstainer of alcohol but I thought that our debate was about the direction of drug policies.

Comment

• I didn't mention alcohol.

Comment

• Comment

You obviously haven't kept up with society. We learned with alcohol that prohibition doesn't work. Yet we have many children who don't have access to the medicine they need to keep them live, CBD oil. Yet almost everyone wants to impose their opinions/politics on others rather than look at the proven science that it cures epilepsy, glaucoma, cancerous cells, etc.
                          You obviously smoke pot every day or have moved to something even more damaging like glue. Proven science that it cures anything? If I wanted to compile a list of stupid comments based on drug induced hopes, this would be a fantastic place to start.

Look, I'm not saying @PlayAngry: isn't making a fair argument but if anything history should have taught you this is only going to make things worse. Also, don't compare this to prohibition. That was taking away something that was legal. This will only cause problems, whatever tax revenue it creates will disappear in the vast government takeover and our children and lower classes will suffer. Nobody is going to become brilliant overnight and we aren't going to have an influx of artists, musicians, poets and potato chip makers. All we'll get is more social dependents. Some of you need to grow a backbone.

Comment

• I posted this in the wrong forum ... LMAO ... so I'll put it here in the right thread:

One thing is for certain in the research I have looked at: It is pretty much impossible to smoke yourself to death in one sitting (unless you have cardiovascular disease). So if you are going to try pot just once, get you a Cheech and Chong sized super-doob and smoke the ever living snot out of it!!
                            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

You obviously haven't kept up with society. We learned with alcohol that prohibition doesn't work. Yet we have many children who don't have access to the medicine they need to keep them live, CBD oil.
                              There are now several strains of marijuana that have been developed that are very high in CBD (the stuff that makes pot particularly useful for medical purposes) but with nearly zero THC (the stuff that makes you "high").

Are you arguing that these special "medical" strains which don't have a negative effect on society should be legalized, while the "stoner" strains should remain illegal?
                              Last edited by Kung Wu; October 8, 2014, 09:37 AM.
                              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                                Actually, the answers are in the results and consequences that happen with the experiments in Oregon, Washington, and Colorado. If we would stand back and allow them to happen for 10 years and see what happens and the social consequences, etc. that occur, that would be fine. But there is an element that want their side to win and the consequences be damned. Then they will say that "the barn door has been opened" and we can't go back now. This happens all the time with a matter of societal problems (immigration, welfare, Obama Care, etc.). This is how bad decisions become a part of our culture.
                                And some would consider the war on drugs as a bad decision that has become part of our culture.
                                ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X