Decrim Petition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
    What we're doing now isn't working. Nixon started the "War on Drugs". In the 40+ yers tht war has been going on, it's cost federal and state governments over $1 trillion. That number is from a Harvard economist. Some of you will doubt the veracity of anything out of Harvard, because that's a bastion of Liberalism.

In 40+ years of the War on Drugs, we've seen no decrease in the use of the major illegal drugs - marijuana, cocaine, and heroin. There has been a decrease in the use of LSD - apparently no one is making that any more. We've seen crystal meth use rise from virtually none in 1971. We've seen the emergence of ecstasy and the abuse of prescriptions drugs, such as Xanax and pain killers appear and grow exponentially.

Since the War on Drugs was begun, we've seen the rise of drug cartels in South America and Mexico. We've seen urban gangs that are funded by selling illegal drugs. The import into and sale of illegal drugs in the USA has become so lucrative, that private armies can be raised and street gang leaders can become millionaires if they live long enough. The people making that money don't care if they kill someone. They're already breaking the law and subject to lengthy prison sentences, so killing someone is only a marginally more severe penalty if they're caught.

One problem with the Colorado implementation is that the legal sales are at a higher price than the illegal sellers were charging before the legal industry existed. That doesn't remove the illegal dealers, the illegal market, or the profits from the illegal markets.

Marijuana is incredibly easy to grow. 16 square feet per plant, some fertilizer, maybe some water, and that's about it for outdoor growth. The labor factor is identifying and eliminating the male plants. That part is commonly eliminated by planting clones of female plants so there are no males.

One plant will easily produce a pound of product. Retail in Colorado is running in the range of $200 - $400 an ounce, depending on the quantity purchased.

The legal pricing strategy is to be "just close enough" to the illegal dealers so that it's less likely customers will seek out the illegal dealers. That's not an effective strategy for eliminating the illegal dealers.

Right now, anyone who wants to do illegal drugs has no problem finding them. I think that if everything were legalized, the numbers of users wouldn't change by any statistically significant numbers. It would eliminate the drug cartels, the income source for street gangs, and greatly reduce prison populations.

The Libertarians and Tea Partyers out here should embrace this, because it would constitute a significant reduction in the government's interference with our personal lives and decisions. Or does that philosophy only apply when the government tells us we have to have health insurance?
    I'm on board.
    Livin the dream

Comment

Welfare debit cards can be used at marijuana shops:

Welfare recipients can’t use their EBT cards at liquor stores but they can at marijuana dispensaries in states such as Colorado that have legalized pot, Sen. Jeff Sessions revealed Tuesday.

I just LOVE what the government does with the hard earned money they tax away from us.
      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Welfare recipients can’t use their EBT cards at liquor stores but they can at marijuana dispensaries in states such as Colorado that have legalized pot, Sen. Jeff Sessions revealed Tuesday.

I just LOVE what the government does with the hard earned money they tax away from us.
        Oh no! Hasn't the government seen the movie "Reefer Madness"?
        Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
          Oh no! Hasn't the government seen the movie "Reefer Madness"?
          I'm missing the humor. HHS allows food stamp money to be used for Marijuana purchases? Seriously? Nobody closed this loophole like, well, within seconds of marijuana being legal in Colorado? I'm stumped.
          There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
            I'm missing the humor. HHS allows food stamp money to be used for Marijuana purchases? Seriously? Nobody closed this loophole like, well, within seconds of marijuana being legal in Colorado? I'm stumped.
            I actually 100% agree with your take. I'm just not funny.
            Livin the dream

Comment

I had never heard of the Washington Times, so I decided to check it out a little bit. I'm a bit skeptical of any "news" publication with this headline "A foreign policy conducted in a drug-addled haze".

See, kids, this is why you don’t do drugs. And this is why you will always eventually regret voting for somebody who boasted of all the coke and dope he did while smoldering about his absentee father.

I get the feeling that there's some editorial things going on even in their headlines.

A little more digging led to a couple more gems about the Washington Times.

It was founded in 1982 by the founder of the Unification Church, Sun Myung Moon, and until 2010 was owned by News World Communications, an international media conglomerate associated with the church.

When the Times began it had 125 reporters, 25 percent of them Unification Church members.

I try to get my "news" from sources that make some effort to report facts and let me draw conclusions, rather than those sources that pander to my leanings, have the conclusions to their reporting defined in their headlines and reporting, and exist to give justification to those who share their pre-conceived ideologies.

It would not surprise me if there is no federal regulation that states marijuana cannot be obtained using food stamps. It would surprise me if anyone has even attempted to buy recreational pot with food stamps. It would surprise me even more if any pot shops accepted food stamps as payment.

Actually, the Washington Times did a huge disservice by publishing this rather obscure oversight. Otherwise, I doubt any food stamp recipients, or any pot shops would be aware of this.
              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

I had never heard of the Washington Times, so I decided to check it out a little bit. I'm a bit skeptical of any "news" publication with this headline "A foreign policy conducted in a drug-addled haze".

See, kids, this is why you don’t do drugs. And this is why you will always eventually regret voting for somebody who boasted of all the coke and dope he did while smoldering about his absentee father.

I get the feeling that there's some editorial things going on even in their headlines.

A little more digging led to a couple more gems about the Washington Times.

It was founded in 1982 by the founder of the Unification Church, Sun Myung Moon, and until 2010 was owned by News World Communications, an international media conglomerate associated with the church.

When the Times began it had 125 reporters, 25 percent of them Unification Church members.

I try to get my "news" from sources that make some effort to report facts and let me draw conclusions, rather than those sources that pander to my leanings, have the conclusions to their reporting defined in their headlines and reporting, and exist to give justification to those who share their pre-conceived ideologies.

It would not surprise me if there is no federal regulation that states marijuana cannot be obtained using food stamps. It would surprise me if anyone has even attempted to buy recreational pot with food stamps. It would surprise me even more if any pot shops accepted food stamps as payment.

Actually, the Washington Times did a huge disservice by publishing this rather obscure oversight. Otherwise, I doubt any food stamp recipients, or any pot shops would be aware of this.
                Why waste so much time trying to discredit the source when you can simply look to see if other credible sources are printing the same thing?

Federal law doesn't prevent welfare recipients from using their benefits at dispensaries that sale marijuana, the heads of the Health and Human Services agency said in a letter to Sen. Jeff Sessions.

Comment

You haven't heard of the Times? Sure it's slanted to the right, that's obvious...but not heard of it?

Comment

If ya really wanna get mad, spend an hour or so researching all the things you can purchase with welfare credits. It is mind-boggling.

I have a relative who has a white collar job at one of the biggest rent-to-own companies. The stories would be hilarious if they weren't so sad.

Comment

The food stamp thing is confusing. So I researched it. Here is the bottom line. You cannot buy marijuana with food stamps or an EBT. That said, you CAN buy brownies laced with marijuana. But... there are no Colorado Marijuana stores set up to accept EBT cards??? (I haven't figured out the difference between a food stamp EBT card and a standard debit card) Lastly, some non food stamp government assistance is payable through ATM machines, many marijuana dispensaries have ATM's, so it is very possible that those funds are going to purchase marijuana.

So the answer to whether or not food stamps are paying for pot is NO, YES and MAYBE.
                      There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

And now Fox News is reporting this.

There's one thing that's being overlooked in this reporting. Pot shops don't use banks. There would be breaking Federal money-laundering laws if they used any bank, including State-chartered banks. Pot shops sell for cash and pay their bills with money orders.

Pot shops don't accept debit cards. It is not possible to buy pot with a welfare debit card. This is just being reported to stir up trouble when there really isn't a problem.

Comment

And now Fox News is reporting this.

There's one thing that's being overlooked in this reporting. Pot shops don't use banks. There would be breaking Federal money-laundering laws if they used any bank, including State-chartered banks. Pot shops sell for cash and pay their bills with money orders.

Pot shops don't accept debit cards. It is not possible to buy pot with a welfare debit card. This is just being reported to stir up trouble when there really isn't a problem.
                          Sigh.

There are ATMs placed within the marijuana shops that are accepting EBT cards (welfare debit cards).

Some in Washington:

In the first month of legal, recreational marijuana sales in Washington, two welfare clients withdrew cash at pot stores using their electronic benefits…

Some in Colorado (and this example was reported back in February!):

These are real cash withdrawals, using real EBT welfare debit cards, in real marijuana shops.

Comment

Do most ATMs accept EBT debit cards? I honestly don't know, but if so, this seems like sort of a non-issue.

Making people walk an extra block to a bank also doesn't seem like much of a deterrent.

It would be nice if Congress members focused their efforts on actual welfare reform instead of pandering for cheap political points like usual.
                            Last edited by Play Angry; September 13, 2014, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Sigh.

There are ATMs placed within the marijuana shops that are accepting EBT cards (welfare debit cards).

Some in Washington:

Some in Colorado (and this example was reported back in February!):

These are real cash withdrawals, using real EBT welfare debit cards, in real marijuana shops.
                              So, people with welfare debit cards can take them to an ATM and get cash?

If that's the case, people were buying pot with welfare money a long time before legalization happened. I was not aware that the welfare system had become "Here's your money, go do with it whatever you want". If that's the case, then welfare money is being used to buy heroin, cocaine, alcohol, hookers, dog food, even the dog to feed the dog food to.

I'm accustomed to people buying groceries with their cards, the computer checks for eligible items, and the clerk gives the person the amount they have to pay for items that did not qualify.

It makes sense for the pot shops to have ATM's. It does not make sense for welfare debit cards to work on them - or any other ATM.

Comment

You are confusing several programs.

1. WIC - Vouchers that can only buy specific approved items.

2. Food Stamps/Vision - Can be used to purchase most unprepared food. Cannot use at McDonalds, but can buy cold hot wings from Kwik Shop.

3. TANF - Can be used for most anything. Designed to be used to pay rent, electric, etc. Many use it for other purposes and then seek further assistance from various charities.

Comment

Working...
                                X