No announcement yet.

Severe Weather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Between @IlliniShocker: and @wsushox1: this has to be THE most well informed and weather covered sports message board in the country, and that's not even considering the other meteorologically inclined (or more) posters such as @SB Shock: and @ShockerFever:, to name just a couple.

And I shouldn't fail to mention the dedicated work @WstateU: puts in as well, keeping us safe and well informed.

Very much appreciated fellas!

Comment

Well that was a bust.

Comment

Dewpoint trends - moisture has came back quicker than I thought

Capture.JPG

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
          Dewpoint trends - moisture has came back quicker than I thought

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1468[/ATTACH]
          We'll see if it can avoid being mixed out.
          The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Originally posted by wsushox1 View Post
            We'll see if it can avoid being mixed out.
            it getting mixed out pretty bad...

Comment

Here is a screen grap from a weather model that can model convection. This is for 5AM Sunday morning.

These storms would be in an environment favorable for large hail and damaging winds.

Comment

seeing the two extremes that chasers hate:

1. Saturday - Cap-festivas
                2. Sunday - Grunge-festivas

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                  seeing the two extremes that chasers hate:

1. Saturday - Cap-festivas
                  2. Sunday - Grunge-festivas
                  3. Monday - Ford Festivas

Comment

4. Tuesday - A Festivas for the rest of us?

Comment

Bummer that SC KS couldn't get more rain out of this system.

Comment

Yep, this is brutal. Each system they talk about rain, then it materializes into next to nothing for Sedgwick County. I know my yard is of little concern to farmers, etc....but I can usually hold off on watering until at least May each year. My yard is struggling so I've fired up the sprinklers a little earlier than usual.

Comment

Dust is blowing in Great Bend. Visabiity can't be 1/4 mile. If it would try to rain, it would be "mud hail."
                          "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                          ---------------------------------------
                          Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                          "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                          "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
                            Dust is blowing in Great Bend. Visabiity can't be 1/4 mile. If it would try to rain, it would be "mud hail."

Comment

How'd that large tornado outbreak over Kansas do this weekend, DOoFOus?
                              Deuces Valley.
                              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

About that chase this weekend... ouch. We ended up busting pretty bad haha. We knew going in that Saturday was probably going to be a longshot, but we figured we'd still give it a shot if anything popped up. Camped out in Lawton, OK and then headed southwest when some small cells popped in the evening. We ended up stopping just east of Quanah, TX to catch a storm passing west of town. Nothing spectacular, but it's always nice seeing something to end the day. And we beat that d-bag Reed Timmer to the storm and saw them all flying by while we were pulled off the highway watching it.

Sunday we targeted Fort Smith, AR as our base in the morning. With Arkansas's terrain, we really only saw three good areas for chasing in Sunday, and out of those we thought conditions looked best along the Arkansas River valley. From Fort Smith we headed east to Ozark and then south to Booneville to get us in position for our target storm. The storm we were targeting was tornado warned for awhile to our southwest, but it was in mountains and a forest at the time so we couldn't go after it. Of course, by the time it was crossing out of that forest and into the river valley, it had lost its lowest level rotation and was no longer tornado warned. It kept teasing us, maintaining an upper level circulation and showing signs of reorganizing, but nothing ever materialized from it.

Oh well, just one of those days I guess. I was perfectly happy with the thought process and decision making with our positioning. Just sucks that nothing panned out for us. In Booneville, we were as far south as we were going to go. The team I was with plays it pretty conservative, but even without that there's no way in hell that we were heading into a forest and hills to chase. And based on where people needed to head home after the chase, Little Rock was never a real possibility for us. Aside from not being a great spot to chase anyway, it sounds like that tornado was rain-wrapped anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                X