This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wichita State Poised For Massive Growth

Prez Bardo has frequently commented that he feels WSU needs an enrollment boost.
    He has targeted a figure of between 20-25,000 students which would reverse the stagnant growth since the residual impact of dropping football in 1986. In 1989, there were the greatest number of students at WSU with 17,189. However, total credit hours last fall exceeded those in 1989 though enrollment was just 14,898 for the fall semester of 2012.

A few triggers for future growth include The FF which has generated much more interest in WSU, as well as the new on-campus Dorm and parking garage. Are there any other trigger events?

Last edited by Veritas; May 13, 2013, 04:54 PM.

Worth watching when you have some spare time... I continue to be very impressed with Dr. Bardo.

Edit: He mentions basketball in his opening comments and again around the 29:00 minute mark

President Bardo Forum 2-24-14

Last edited by WstateU; February 26, 2014, 09:42 AM.
    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

I was told that there is now a waiting list to occupy the soon to be completed dorm at WSU.

Comment

There was an article somewhere last week that said they expect about 1000 more new students than last fall. That is a significant increase!

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
          I was told that there is now a waiting list to occupy the soon to be completed dorm at WSU.
          I drove through campus last month when I was back in Wichita to catch a Shocker baseball game. I was impressed with the size of the new dorm. Much larger than I anticipated.

Definitely like Bardo's vision and action for WSU.

Comment

Originally posted by Veritas View Post
            I drove through campus last month when I was back in Wichita to catch a Shocker baseball game. I was impressed with the size of the new dorm. Much larger than I anticipated.

Definitely like Bardo's vision and action for WSU.
            The new dorm is very nice, but it is my understanding that we are not increasing the on-campus capacity very much as the new Shocker Hall will be replacing the Brennan Hall complex located on the south side of 17th Street and the Wheatshocker Apartments located on the Southeast corner of the campus along 17th Street. However, the location, quality and amenities will be a huge improvement. A new 400-seat dining hall is part of the new Shocker Hall facility.

We will have two on-campus/near campus housing options. Fairmount Towers, located on the NW corner of 21st and Hillside cata-cornered from Koch Arena, with the capacity to house 550 student and the new Shocker Hall with a capacity of 784 students. However, many of the rooms at Fairmount Towers are being converted from double occupancy to single occupancy which will reduce capacity to about 400 students.

Dr. Bardo has said that "at a metropolitan-type university, a school like ours, you're going to want about 20-30% of your students living on-campus, rather than 8%." Obviously we have a lot of work to get our capacity from the current 1,200 student capacity up to 3,000 if we want to hit that 20% mark.

The first step though was to get our current housing stock up to snuff. WheatShocker Apartments and Brennan Hall were at the end of their useful lives.
            Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 20, 2014, 11:15 PM.

Comment

I am looking forward to seeing what the remodeled and expanded Rhatigan Student Center looks like once that construction is complete.

Comment

The new Shocker Hall dorms:

So to reach 20% we would need two more facilities of this size or a little larger and if enrollment grows to 20,000 and we want 20% on-campus students we would need to add an additional 1,000 student facility. Dr. Bardo is definitely a man of big ideas and big goals.
                Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 21, 2014, 12:19 AM.

Comment

Going to need that garage
                  People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                    I am looking forward to seeing what the remodeled and expanded Rhatigan Student Center looks like once that construction is complete.
                    I believe a good chunk of it is done. It all looks REALLY neat. I was quite impressed with the downstairs lounge/bowling area.
                    78-65

Comment

I walked in there last season and had no idea what building I was magically teleported into. I had no bearings of where anything was. It was just a complete new layout. Crazy.
                      Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

I know the new master plan shows three more new dorms when they become needed.

Comment

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                            I know the new master plan shows three more new dorms when they become needed.
                            And 3 parking garages, although maybe not exactly where some Shocker basketball fans might like them. Cutting Braeburn down to 9 holes.

See map posted by @ShockBand

1 parking garage replacing the east side of Cessna Stadium.

1 parking garage along 17th street with the Tennis Complex moved to just South of Eck Stadium.

1 parking garage on what is know the west side of Braeburn Golf Course to me near the planned Technology and Innovation Center.
                            Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 21, 2014, 01:35 PM.

Comment

An impressive and very ambitious plan.

Comment

Working...
                              X