This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WuTheOne View Post

There are names of some of my close friends on that memorial. I don't see the connection between observing that WSU's football program was crumbling (which was the past, present, and future of the program when it was dropped) and somehow trying to say that observation disrespects the memory of a tragedy that the program also endured.

I lived in the same dorms as the football players who were on that flight. I knew several of their family members. I played pickup basketball games with and against them.

And you're claiming that I'm disrespecting their memory. SMDH
    No, I do not think you would intentionally disrespect their memory. By what you say, I'm sure I didn't know as many as you, but I, too, was their classmate. I will never claim that what they were a part of was "ugly". Simply a difference of opinion and heartfelt feeling. It was just the first thing that entered my mind when you called the program that.

Comment

There are names of some of my close friends on that memorial. I don't see the connection between observing that WSU's football program was crumbling (which was the past, present, and future of the program when it was dropped) and somehow trying to say that observation disrespects the memory of a tragedy that the program also endured.

I lived in the same dorms as the football players who were on that flight. I knew several of their family members. I played pickup basketball games with and against them.

And you're claiming that I'm disrespecting their memory. SMDH

Comment

• Tear it down and build a world class track facility.

They already host the nation’s largest HS track Staye championship and the KT Woodman Invitational.

Think what else they could do with a world class facility. Become the Midwest version of the University of Oregon.
        The Assman

Comment

in its current condition, Cessna Stadium pretty much reflects the history of WSU football. Other than Prince McJunkins and Hank Schictle, it was an ugly, crumbling program.
          Linwood Sexton says hello. So does Bill Parcells (who massively supports ICAA).

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Yes, Sexton was a great one. We can probably even come up with a few more in the history of WSU football. Randy Jackson and Rick Dvorak come to mind from my era. Both were friends of mine. An occasional success story doesn't make a successful program.

I saw Gale Sayers at KU with 40,000 people in the stands. A few years later I was sitting in Veteran's Stadium on concrete bleachers built into the side of a hill with a couple thousand people there. Cessna was packed the first couple years after it was built. After that basketball had better attendance than football.

I was at the last football game at Cessna Stadium. I don't remember who we played. I remember we lost. I remember none of the fans (maybe 4,000) seemed to care if we won or lost. I do remember the amount of Jack Daniels we drank, which is why we went to the game.

There were a few great players over about 30 years (once we get back to Sexton), but the program was neither successful nor supported. Other than the McJunkins and Jeffries era and a few couple year blips, the program was unsuccessful.

Comparing the overall condition of the football program in its last 25 years to the condition of Cessna Stadium today isn't that far-fetched. Missouri Valley football is better today in FCS than it was when the Shox were in it at the highest level.

Did any of you defending the football program actually go to any games?

Comment

• Football was killed before I could. However, I'd be at nearly every home game I could make if we had it. It would be damn nice to be able to get into college football.

Soccer should absolutely be added though. It's a growing sport, isn't overly expensive, and is something I believe we could be competitive in as there is quite a bit of talent in and around the area.
              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Yes, Sexton was a great one. We can probably even come up with a few more in the history of WSU football. Randy Jackson and Rick Dvorak come to mind from my era. Both were friends of mine. An occasional success story doesn't make a successful program.

I saw Gale Sayers at KU with 40,000 people in the stands. A few years later I was sitting in Veteran's Stadium on concrete bleachers built into the side of a hill with a couple thousand people there. Cessna was packed the first couple years after it was built. After that basketball had better attendance than football.

I was at the last football game at Cessna Stadium. I don't remember who we played. I remember we lost. I remember none of the fans (maybe 4,000) seemed to care if we won or lost. I do remember the amount of Jack Daniels we drank, which is why we went to the game.

There were a few great players over about 30 years (once we get back to Sexton), but the program was neither successful nor supported. Other than the McJunkins and Jeffries era and a few couple year blips, the program was unsuccessful.

Comparing the overall condition of the football program in its last 25 years to the condition of Cessna Stadium today isn't that far-fetched. Missouri Valley football is better today in FCS than it was when the Shox were in it at the highest level.

Can’t remember missing many games… Ross and I enjoyed cheering on the WU in old Veterans Football Stadium.

Those were the days my friends…

https://www.ebay.com/itm/University-...5608181?_ul=IL
                "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Yes. Family had season tickets to the very end.

Comment

• Virtue signaling is unnecessary. While we are very grateful for the diehards who supported football, those who couldn't handle the losing, or the cold should not be shamed. Football is MUCH bigger now and I assure you it would be better attended today at WSU, than in the past.

What I would like to see is a nationally competitive MVC or even lower level football program (like Villanova). Do they have a league with maybe half the scholarships of 1A? Then we could have some foolsball in the fall and it would be OUR foolsball. Then maybe someday we move up. Who knows. But right now, we are dead in the water on all accounts: tradition, experience, and expansion.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Bob Long, although he played more basketball than football at Wichita State. Although he did pretty well with that 1 year of football eligibility.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Bob Long, although he played more basketball than football at Wichita State. Although he did pretty well with that 1 year of football eligibility.
                        I wish my last name was Long.....

I bet he wishes his first name was Richard.

Comment

• ADDB on the Drive pretty much states there are no plans, no fund raising, no timeline for Cessna demo or replacement.

I love that Koch is based in Wichita, but for a company as affluent as Koch industries it sure is a head scratcher on why they don’t do more for the city of Wichita. I don’t live there so I’m probably wrong about their contributions outside of employing a bunch of people and paying taxes.

Mark Arts is beautiful and a great homage to his mother, but what demographic of the population is using it? 0.001? Probably less than 500 people?

11:45 mark

Comment

• I think Koch does plenty just by having the Corporate Headquarters in Wichita. Those people that work in those buildings are very well paid and live and shop in Wichita. Thats money on products sold worldwide coming to Wichita in to pay their salaries. Could they do more....probably but they do a lot.

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
                              Virtue signaling is unnecessary. While we are very grateful for the diehards who supported football, those who couldn't handle the losing, or the cold should not be shamed. Football is MUCH bigger now and I assure you it would be better attended today at WSU, than in the past.

What I would like to see is a nationally competitive MVC or even lower level football program (like Villanova). Do they have a league with maybe half the scholarships of 1A? Then we could have some foolsball in the fall and it would be OUR foolsball. Then maybe someday we move up. Who knows. But right now, we are dead in the water on all accounts: tradition, experience, and expansion.
                              As I have stated many times before in other topics about the subject of a return of football it just isn't going to happen. Too much money to build a new stadium and practice facilities. No one can say that it would be better attended now than it was back in the day. Would I like it to return and would I go. Sure I would in a heart beat but me and 30-50 thousand people ins the seats aren't going to make it happen. The program would have to be endowed and that takes Koch or Knight or Pickens kind of money.
                              Last edited by pogo; August 6, 2021, 01:50 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

I wish my last name was Long.....

I bet he wishes his first name was Richard.
                                I knew you were a Dick.
                                People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Working...
                                X