This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ShockBand View Post
    This is a really good article from a couple years ago I just stumbled upon, and think it is relevant to the SGA issue.

https://www.vox.com/2015/6/3/8706323...ofessor-afraid
    . . . The identity of the victims overrides the identity of the harasser, and that's all the proof they need.

This is terrifying. No one will ever accept that. And if that becomes a salient part of liberal politics, liberals are going to suffer tremendous electoral defeat.
    He called it.

Teachers and academics are the best candidates to foster this discussion, but most of us are too scared and economically disempowered to say anything.
    Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but I find the word choice interesting. Why not say "unempowered"? Saying "disempowered" implies wealth was taken away.
    Last edited by RoyalShock; May 12, 2017, 01:36 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
      Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but I find the word choice interesting. Why not say "unempowered"? Saying "disempowered" implies wealth was taken away.
      Ah, yes... the tried-and-true educators live in poverty thing. The MO that their unions are oh so happy to keep alive. We won't bring up the fact that a married set of USD 259 teachers come in somewhere around $90K/year household income their first year out of college (plus months of vacation and $0 premium, top shelf health insurance), or that most of the professors at the state university they went to made $100K-$300K per year.
      Last edited by SHOCKvalue; May 12, 2017, 02:35 PM.

Comment

• The top 1% of earners WORLDWIDE earn $34K per year. People on welfare in the US are in the top 20% of earners worldwide. Any American that protests against wealth disparity is suffering from their Anerican priveldge.
        Livin the dream

Comment

• Wish a lot of the Sheppard crap would go to the political board.

With the upcoming merger between WSU and WATC, does anyone know whether WSU will see that translate into an enrollment jump?

Comment

• Originally posted by Veritas View Post
            Wish a lot of the Sheppard crap would go to the political board.

With the upcoming merger between WSU and WATC, does anyone know whether WSU will see that translate into an enrollment jump?
            http://www.kansas.com/news/local/edu...104277236.html
            Today's on-line WBJ has a 'subscriber only' cover story; here's a brief excerpt that might answer your question:

"WSU’s move to the American Athletic Conference also would aid in marketing the Campus of Applied Sciences and Technology, nationally, Bardo says. WATC and University estimates have Wichita State growing its enrollment more than 15,000 students by 2020, possibly as high as 17,500 with more aggressive estimates. WATC’s enrollment is expected to climb to around 4,100 students by 2020, according to HLC documents. That would be an increase from the 3,592 students the school reported for its official 2016-2017 headcount last fall. “This really (would) strengthen the Shocker Pathway,” Utash says. “Day one, every student is a Shocker.”"

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post
              Today's on-line WBJ has a 'subscriber only' cover story; here's a brief excerpt that might answer your question:

"WSU’s move to the American Athletic Conference also would aid in marketing the Campus of Applied Sciences and Technology, nationally, Bardo says. WATC and University estimates have Wichita State growing its enrollment more than 15,000 students by 2020, possibly as high as 17,500 with more aggressive estimates. WATC’s enrollment is expected to climb to around 4,100 students by 2020, according to HLC documents. That would be an increase from the 3,592 students the school reported for its official 2016-2017 headcount last fall. “This really (would) strengthen the Shocker Pathway,” Utash says. “Day one, every student is a Shocker.”"

http://www.bizjournals.com/wichita/n...173&j=78159661
              Thank you...
              Is that growing its enrollment TO more than 15k? No way to grow enrollment 15k by 2020.
              Regardless, looks like some healthy gains.

Thanks for sharing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Veritas View Post
                Thank you...
                Is that growing its enrollment TO more than 15k? No way to grow enrollment 15k by 2020.
                Regardless, looks like some healthy gains.

Thanks for sharing.
                The article was a little confusing. I’m assuming WSU and WATC enrollment numbers will be combined when the merger/affiliation takes place.

“Day one, every student is a Shocker.”

2020 conservative estimate - 15,500 + 4,100 = 19,600

2020 aggressive estimate - 17,500 + 4,100 (same) = 21,600

Go Bardo Go!

"Liz Koch, left, talks with Wichita State University president John Bardo and his wife"
                "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post
                  The article was a little confusing. I’m assuming WSU and WATC enrollment numbers will be combined when the merger/affiliation takes place.

“Day one, every student is a Shocker.”

2020 conservative estimate - 15,500 + 4,100 = 19,600

2020 aggressive estimate - 17,500 + 4,100 (same) = 21,600

Go Bardo Go!

"Liz Koch, left, talks with Wichita State University president John Bardo and his wife"
                  That is fantastic.
                  Bardo and his vision is truly transforming Wichita State into something very few of us envisioned 5 years ago.

Comment

• Athletics and Academia. One hand washes the other.

Comment

• 25K, I wanna see 25K. We're the largest city in the state. Doesn't the increasing cost of higher education lead to staying home in order to avoid the extreme debt associated schooling far from the homestead. Is partying worth thousands of dollars of debt.
                      Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• Originally posted by wusphlash View Post
                        25K, I wanna see 25K. We're the largest city in the state. Doesn't the increasing cost of higher education lead to staying home in order to avoid the extreme debt associated schooling far from the homestead. Is partying worth thousands of dollars of debt.
                        Quite a few find it is worth it for one semester.:)

Comment

• So help me God, if something like this ever comes to Wichita State, I will not be donating another dime (not that I donate much beyond the athletic stuff, but you get the point).
                          "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
                            https://heatst.com/culture-wars/ucla...nd-patriarchy/

So help me God, if something like this ever comes to Wichita State, I will not be donating another dime (not that I donate much beyond the athletic stuff, but you get the point).
                            I don't think this will happen in Wichita, Kansas. This is the kind of crap that pushes my moderate thinking more to the right.

There are some thought leaders in the communities of color who seem to think declaring war on whiteness is a blood sport. I was raised, and remain, someone who does not see skin color. And I am far from a young man.

Whether it's the KKK or these folks, this is flat-out racism. Communities of color need to realize before we can have a reasonable dialogue on race relations in this country, we need to call out the ugly practices the extremes on both sides practice.

Comment

• Originally posted by wusphlash View Post
                              25K, I wanna see 25K. We're the largest city in the state. Doesn't the increasing cost of higher education lead to staying home in order to avoid the extreme debt associated schooling far from the homestead. Is partying worth thousands of dollars of debt.
                              I agree totally, and being in an urban area, it's much easier for our students to find jobs so that they graduate without the student debt that someone in Manhattan or Lawrence probably ends up with.

I have known a number of lawyers through the years who came to Houston to matriculate (and attend law school) for exactly that reason.

Comment

• One day after Wichita State police handed over the findings of their investigation of Student Body President Paige Hungate’s parents to the Sedgwick County District Attorney Marc Bennett, his office determined not to file charges in the case. According to a Wednesday statement to WSU Police Chief Sara Morris, Bennett’s office found the “evidence presented...

This should be fun

Comment

Working...
                                X