This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dwbarcl View Post
    Probably not the right place but this kind of thing isn't going to help the growth of WSU.

http://thesunflower.com/17914/opinio...-kiah-duggins/
    How about going to college to get an education, rather than an "experience"? Want more scholarships for low-income students? Go get a real job in the real world, make real money, and create one.

Isn't saying black students are more likely to be low-income stereotypical and racist?

"The alleged anti-Black attack on May 4th was neither random nor surprising." Hmmm, she says it's just alleged, yet claims it wasn't random. Logic problem. Furthermore, where is her proof it wasn't random? Or maybe this is a little slip to say that it was planned, but not by those she's insinuating.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
      Aside from her completely illegitimate point, didn't she receive some big scholarship from WSU to go to WSU?

I'm unaware of what concrete benefits "non-marginalized" students receive that "marginalized" students do not. If someone can provide me with evidence of that claim, great, let's work together and solve it. But it's not.
      I would to. Is the scholarship issue simply total dollars problem or a dollars -per-student issues? I find it hard to believe they are giving a black student less money for the same scholarship as they are to a white student, but I could be wrong. If that is the issue, then that is a problem. Since the White population still makes up around 64% of the population, if they only issue is that the White population receives more money than the population of other races, math will explain that issue.

Also, based on my experience they didn't require White students (or Male students for that matter) to do less work to get an "A" or take less classes to get a degree. That piece of paper was indifferent. Either do the work, or fail.

I don't want to say there are not real issues that people face and I would be more than happy to address those problems, but sometimes it seems people just want a reason to be upset.
      Last edited by Shock Top; May 10, 2017, 12:19 PM.
      The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
        How about going to college to get an education, rather than an "experience"? Want more scholarships for low-income students? Go get a real job in the real world, make real money, and create one.

Isn't saying black students are more likely to be low-income stereotypical and racist?

"The alleged anti-Black attack on May 4th was neither random nor surprising." Hmmm, she says it's just alleged, yet claims it wasn't random. Logic problem. Furthermore, where is her proof it wasn't random? Or maybe this is a little slip to say that it was planned, but not by those she's insinuating.
        I didn't have a scholarship the 2.5 years I went to Wichita State. I lived an hour away, had two jobs and paid my own way without debt. Granted that was a whole 15-17 years ago. I didn't ask for things. I was there for an education. Didn't participate in any on campus extra curricular activities sure didn't give a flying bluejay about the SGA. But im white so I'm not supposed to understand.

Comment

• The "can't afford college" concept (similar to the tact of the editorial author above) is a false narrative at a state school like WSU, and is intellectually dishonest.

If you are truly low income (ignoring the racist "but what about me because I'm not white" pretext), then here's how it works:

WSU tuition plus student fees - $255.47 x 30 hours = ($7664.10/yr)

Pell Grant - $5,920/yr (if you're really "disadvantaged" you should have zero problems securing this)
          Perkins Loan - $5,500/yr (see note immediately above)
          Stafford Loan - $5,500/yr (available to everyone - goes to $6500/yr at sophomore level, and $7500/yr at junior level and above)

That leaves $9225.90 (as a freshman) to live off of throughout the year, which breaks down to almost $800/mo. Plenty of people make it through college with this sort of "income" by living with roommates or parents (gasp!) and generally pinching pennies. It's not "poverty"; it's just "going to college", and the standard of living that goes along with such. This worst case even assumes you find your studies too difficult and time consuming in order to get a part time job to supplement your income. Suffice to say, unless you are an engineering or natural science major of some sort, you should have zero problems handling school plus part time job, even at average intelligence.

It isn't rocket science as to how to pay for school at the vast majority of state schools in the US. People arguing otherwise usually have ulterior motives and are setting up a logical straw man.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
            That leaves $9225.90 (as a freshman) to live off of throughout the year, which breaks down to almost $800/mo. Plenty of people make it through college with this sort of "income" by living with roommates or parents (gasp!) and generally pinching pennies.
            Rent $300 Utilities $100 Phone $100 Starbucks $100 Weed $150 Drank $250 Drank for friends $250 = Way more than $800 and I haven't eaten yet!

I don't know what planet you're on, but that's a clear case of the man keepin me down!

Comment

• My undergraduate college was paid for, I can hook a person up:

“Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                Rent $300 Utilities $100 Phone $100 Starbucks $100 Weed $150 Drank $250 Drank for friends $250 = Way more than $800 and I haven't eaten yet!

I don't know what planet you're on, but that's a clear case of the man keepin me down!
                Wait? Netflix and Spotify aren't included?
                The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by dwbarcl View Post
                  I didn't have a scholarship the 2.5 years I went to Wichita State. I lived an hour away, had two jobs and paid my own way without debt. Granted that was a whole 15-17 years ago. I didn't ask for things. I was there for an education. Didn't participate in any on campus extra curricular activities sure didn't give a flying bluejay about the SGA. But im white so I'm not supposed to understand.
                  I had almost the same experience. I worked full time. Went to Oklahoma (not OU) to finish my degree and worked two jobs, sometimes 7 days a week.

I think having to work hard to accomplish something you really want builds character.

BTW, my cumulative GPA was just short of qualifying me to graduate with honors. I always thought Wichita State (and most urban campuses) are a great experience and I make sure I tell everyone I know. I always think I owe the success I have had in my working career to this great university.

Comment

• Originally posted by DUShock View Post
                    My undergraduate college was paid for, I can hook a person up:

We were on the same plan. I had plenty of money left over for weed and drank. Friends can buy their own drank, but weed is better shared.
                    Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• I'm kind of curious as to when most of you graduated from college because I think many are remembering their relative costs and not understanding the differences. I had enough scholarships to pay for most of tuition, worked 20-25 hours a week while being a full time student and more during the summer, and barely got through without digging a hole. Oh and my parents were even able to help by covering car insurance and phone bill. And this isn't a woe is me post, I got a good education with a solid degree that has led me into some great jobs, but I certainly can see how the current economics of college entirely fails a lot of people even at a state school. Just because there are ways to get through with loans doesn't invalidate the point it's MORE difficult than it was. For reference I graduated from WSU in 2011.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockCrazy View Post
                        I'm kind of curious as to when most of you graduated from college because I think many are remembering their relative costs and not understanding the differences. I had enough scholarships to pay for most of tuition, worked 20-25 hours a week while being a full time student and more during the summer, and barely got through without digging a hole. Oh and my parents were even able to help by covering car insurance and phone bill. And this isn't a woe is me post, I got a good education with a solid degree that has led me into some great jobs, but I certainly can see how the current economics of college entirely fails a lot of people even at a state school. Just because there are ways to get through with loans doesn't invalidate the point it's MORE difficult than it was. For reference I graduated from WSU in 2011.
                        That may be true, but than it's more difficult for EVERYONE, not just "marginalized" students. They didn't have some secret meeting to make it to so that White people have an easier and cheaper path to success.

Again, I don't deny that there are challenges that some people have to face that others don't, but I am almost certain the university isn't on some racial witch hunt.
                        The Assman

Comment

• I think the key is avoid debt, unless one is going to medical school, maybe law school, etc. My graduate degree was in 2000 and I paid myself without loans/debt, and cable. My undergrad was 95, should have been 93 but a war and military training got in the way.

So yes, I readily acknowledge your point, however as a parent of a soon to be honor's college student, I am aware of tuition and living costs. I will soon be acutely aware.

“Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

• Unless you are going into a highly-selective field like law or medicine, there is not a darn thing wrong with going to a community college. No, it isn't sexy since there isn't a Greek system and there aren't 50,000+ who go to football games or 10,000+ who go to basketball games, but it can be a very productive way to start college. I went to a community college and between all the different scholarships available to me and having a good work study job, I had more than enough to cover my expenses. I didn't live like a king but I had what I needed.

Don't even get me started on the small private schools who basically charge six figures for degrees.
                            78-65

Comment

• Wonder what occupations will still be needed 20-30 years from now?

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                                Wonder what occupations will still be needed 20-30 years from now?
                                We’ll still need ‘robot makers’ until they figure out how to ‘make’ themselves.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
                                X