No announcement yet.

I Don't Know Where To Put This, But...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something about this story makes me feel all warm and fuzzy in my tum-tum.

Dozens of Messages in Bottles Tossed by a Nantucket Fisherman are Found Around the World

Ms. Cassidy Beach was recently the latest in a long chain of people to be walking along a beach or a harbor and see a dark green bottle with a letter in it.

This one she found on a beach in the archipelago of the Turks and South Caicos Islands, in the Caribbean north of Haiti. Dated September 20th, 2004, it was cast adrift by Mr. Pennel Ames, a commercial fisherman from Nantucket.

Between 2000 and 2006, Ames threw hundreds of these bottles off his boat into the Great South Channel. They have washed up and been found in Portugal, Spain, France, Ireland, Great Britain, Florida, all over the Caribbean, and the Canary Islands.

80 people have taken the time to remove the artificial corks, read the letter inside, and write back.

Together with his wife Sharon and their two daughters, Pennel Ames perfected the techniques for preserving penned paper inside glass, and have every once in awhile enjoyed pulling a strange letter out of the mail and reading where their bottles have arrived.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Thrown out from LF

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
        Thrown out from LF

Can't imagine there have been too many 7-3 outs in this fashion before.
        "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Since the runner was forced, there's no error there, correct?

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
            Since the runner was forced, there's no error there, correct?
            I think that is correct. Although they more or may not have ruled that an error if the batter has run it out. 50-50 call in my estimation. Pete Rose probably ends up with a double on that play.

Comment

An impressive feat for a good cause.

65-Year-old Paddles Into Record Books With Epic 6800-mi Solo Kayak Quest - From Tip of Canada to Florida and Back

After 268 days in his kayak, a 65-year-old has completed his epic ‘Reverse the Bad’ expedition, becoming the first person to solo kayak the Greater Loop across Canada and the United States.

The journey of almost 6,800 miles (11,000km) required Mark Fuhrmann to paddle for 1,643 hours—which is the equivalent of paddling 68 days straight without stopping.

A smiling, but exhausted Fuhrmann, stepped out of his kayak on August 2nd for the last time, greeting well-wishers with the memorable line: “Can I get a beer please?” (He got more than one.)

Paddling for positivity

The Canadian native who lives in Oslo, Norway set out from Halifax last year on June 2nd with an aim of raising much needed funds for Doctors Without Borders and Captains Without Borders, while pushing a message of “positivity for our troubled times.”

“It’s been a hell of a trip,” he exclaims, “but worth every minute of exertion, discomfort and pain. Not only to raise money and awareness, but also to connect with nature, people, and something deep within myself.”

“I’m truly grateful for the immense and touching generosity of an army of supporters en route—but that doesn’t mean I’m planning another trip anytime soon!” he joked.
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

KAKE - Wichita WWII airman identified after being MIA for 80 years

A Wichita airman killed during World War II has been accounted for 80 years after being declared missing in action, The Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency announced Monday.

Staff Sergeant Wesley Leon Jones, identified March 16, 2023 by the DPAA, was assigned to the 345th Bombardment Squadron (Heavy), 98th Bombardment Group (Heavy), 9th Air Force. On Aug. 1, 1943, the B-24 Liberator bomber on which Jones was the gunner was hit by enemy anti-aircraft fire and crashed during Operation TIDAL WAVE, the largest bombing mission against the oil fields and refineries at Ploiesti, north of Bucharest, Romania.

Four crew member's remains were identified after the incident, but SSgt Jones' remains were not among them. The remains that could not be identified were buried as Unknowns in the Hero Section of the Civilian and Military Cemetery of Bolovan, Ploiesti, Prahova Romania, the DPAA said.

In 2017, DPAA began exhuming unkowns believed to be associated with unaccounted-for airmen from Operation TIDAL WAVE losses. Remains were sent to the DPAA Laboratory at Offutt Air Force Base, Nebraska, for examination and identification.
                He is coming home and will be buried in Wichita at a future date and time.
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Largest Organized Search for Loch Ness Monster to Have Byproduct of Mass Scientific Study of Britain's Largest Lake

This weekend, the Loch Ness Center is holding the largest-ever search for the mythical monster, and will feature a horde of volunteers wielding hi-tech equipment never-before-used on the lake.

It will be the biggest organized search since 1972, and so many “Nessie” enthusiasts signed up for the search they had to close the web portal.

At 22 square miles and with a maximum depth of 788 feet, Loch Ness is Britain’s largest lake, and its unique ecology will be recorded with hydrophones and surveyed with infrared drones.

Most claims of the Loch Ness Monster over the years have been admitted hoaxes, but it’s possible that once upon a time there could have been a giant wels catfish that would have looked perhaps like a serpent from the surface—imagine living in the 19th century and seeing the back of this great beast, caught this year in Italy’s Po River.

Another possible candidate would be a European eel. Eels are known to live in the river, according to a massive study that examined DNA of every animal in the Loch. European eels move snake-like through the water. Furthermore, they can live about 80 years—which would cover the vast majority of the 1,100 or so recording ‘sightings’ of the monster during the 20th and 21st centuries.
                  So a bit of fun looking for Nessie, but also sounds like a well funded exploration and examination of the Loch as a whole.
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Eagle - Investigating leads, Oklahoma officers dig on former property of BTK serial killer

Investigators from an Oklahoma sheriff’s office were digging on the former site of Dennis Rader’s home in Park City on Tuesday.

Rader is the BTK serial killer.

Osage County Undersheriff Gary Upton said they are looking for possible leads.

“The Osage County Sheriff’s Office is continuing to follow leads in unsolved missing persons and murder cases possibly related to BTK,” Upton told an Eagle reporter late Tuesday afternoon. “The investigation is ongoing at this time and I still have investigators out in the field.”

At the site where the home once stood in a Park City neighborhood, now an empty field, were two concrete blocks set aside to allow investigators to dig, an Eagle reporter at the scene described.
                    Seems odd to me as there was never any indication that he buried bodies. If I remember correctly, it was his shed that had all of his mementos that he'd taken to remember his kills.

This seems like a bit of a stretch, though I've seen some online comments that this could have something to do with things said on some documentary called Confessions of a Serial Killer (?) that recently popped up on Hulu. I cannot confirm any of that though.

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Maybe it wasn't odd.

MSN - Oklahoma law enforcement confirms 'something of importance' found in Rader's backyard

We expect to learn more about what authorities were searching for on Tuesday at the former property of serial killer Dennis Rader, who referred to himself as BTK, which stands for bind, torture, kill. The Osage County undersheriff confirmed that items were found in what was previously the backyard of the property.

He said it was not a body or bones, but related to cases in which they believe Rader to be a suspect.

Earlier on Wednesday, Rader’s daughter, Kerri Rawson, said she learned about the 1976 disappearance of 16-year-old Cynthia Dawn Kinney, possibly connected to her father. Kinney was last seen working at a laundromat in Pawhuska, Oklahoma, located in Osage County.

Rader confirmed to 12 News that he was questioned by Oklahoma investigators about the cold case because of visits he made to the area during the time of Kinney’s disappearance. He confessed in detail to other murders but has denied any involvement in the Kinney case.
                      Sounds like we may find out what that was sometime tomorrow.
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Maybe it wasn't odd.

MSN - Oklahoma law enforcement confirms 'something of importance' found in Rader's backyard

Nothing would surprise me; that evil bastard.
                        "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Eagle - Investigating leads, Oklahoma officers dig on former property of BTK serial killer

Seems odd to me as there was never any indication that he buried bodies. If I remember correctly, it was his shed that had all of his mementos that he'd taken to remember his kills.

This seems like a bit of a stretch, though I've seen some online comments that this could have something to do with things said on some documentary called Confessions of a Serial Killer (?) that recently popped up on Hulu. I cannot confirm any of that though.
                          If they find something is it possible it reopens the pathway to capital punishment?
                          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post

Nothing would surprise me; that evil bastard.
                            I just assumed he had everything together and thought the need to dig up the yard was odd.

I've been watching the BTK: Confessions of a Serial Killer on my phone today. It's interesting. The coldness shouldn't be surprising because it's something that's common with a lot of serial killers.

It will be interesting though if he can be officially linked to more murders now and what that will lead to.
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Maybe it wasn't odd.

Oklahoma re-legalized capital punishment in July of 1976. If they can pinpoint this murder to after that, can't he be extradited to OK and possibly executed?

Edit: Kinney went missing in June of 1976. Figures.
                              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

If they find something is it possible it reopens the pathway to capital punishment?
                                If he is linked to the murder of Cynthia Kinney in Oklahoma, capital punishment would become a possibility as I don't think it's ever been banned in Oklahoma like it was in Kansas during his known kills.
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                                X