Sliver of Hope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
    Man Trapped In Submerged Truck On Live TV, Off-Duty ER Nurse Dives Into Floodwaters To Save Him

The live video of the rescue is in the article. Pretty crazy story.
    I'm thinking to myself ... "There's at least a freaking camera man, a reporter, and a policeman there watching the guy stuck in a truck in water that you can literally walk over to and smash the window. PUT THE CAMERA DOWN AND GO HELP THE DUDE!?"

Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• I love things like this. The reaction and emotion is beautiful. There's a 90 second video at the bottom of the article.

High Schoolers Surprise Ghanaian Janitor with Dream Car: a Cherry Red Jeep in Time for His Birthday

These high school sophomores recently raised over $20,000 to surprise their favorite school janitor with a brand-new car.

The fundraiser kicked off in advance of Francis Apraku’s birthday, whom the boys describe as “super kind and friendly.”

They asked him what he wanted as a present, and, joking, the Ghanaian immigrant replied that he’d love a new Jeep Wrangler.

Bennett, Nick H, Nick T, Artin, Joey, Yousif, and Logan, hoped to have enough by the time they graduated from James Maddison High School in Vienna, Virginia, to give Apraku his Jeep.

After creating their GoFundMe in May, however, they had enough by summer’s end to give him his surprise.

With the help of their community, they raised $21,000 which they used to buy the Jeep in candy apple red, surprising Apraku in the parking lot of the school last Monday.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Eagle - K-State QB Avery Johnson raising money to help Maize principal in battle with cancer

Avery Johnson is dedicating the remainder of his season with the Kansas State football team to his former principal at Maize High.

Johnson, a sophomore quarterback for the Wildcats, has launched a fundraising campaign for Maize principal Chris Botts, who is battling cancer.

The goal is to raise $20,000 for Botts with every touchdown (both passing and rushing) that Johnson scores this season boosting the donations total. K-State fans and other supporters began donating to the cause on Wednesday. Because Johnson has already thrown for six touchdowns this season, the campaign immediately raised a few hundred dollars in less than one hour.

Johnson explained the campaign in a conversation with Botts, which he shared on social media.

“Every touchdown I score this year we are going to be able to donate some money to you through fans and everything like that,” Johnson said. “I just really want you to know how much I appreciate you and how excited I am. You are really a motivation to me just for how strong you are. I want you to know you aren’t going through this fight alone.”

Botts was diagnosed with large-cell neuroendocrine thymic cancer in March 2022, according to Johnson’s fundraising page. He is currently undergoing clinical trials in Houston, which requires extensive travel costs for him and his family.
        Outside of his ugly ass car, I haven't seen or heard anything bad about Avery. Props to him for using his position to help raise funds for someone who apparently has meant a lot to him.

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Follow up on Avery.

WIBW - BYU fans help K-State QB Avery Johnson raise nearly 50K for high school principal

Botts said last week when his wife surprised him with a Facetime call from Avery Johnson, he thought it’d be a warm-hearted message from his former student that he’d be devoting the upcoming season to him.

Little did Botts know, Johnson would be devoting more than just the season to Botts. He’d be donating $1,000 of his NIL money to Botts for each touchdown he scores the remainder of the season

While Johnson didn’t score a touchdown in the Wildcats’ ensuing 38-9 loss to BYU, the original $20,000 goal set for the fundraiser has already been surpassed. Twice.

Why?

The generosity of BYU fans.

“Since this thing has been live, it’s just been unbelievable,” Botts said. “The original goal they had set, I thought it was very ambitious and I thought there’s no way we’re gonna get there, and then we hit it, so they wanted to raise it. And then we hit it again, and now they want to raise it again. Like, this whole thing is crazy.”

As of Tuesday afternoon, BYU, K-State, and other Big-12 fans have teamed up to raise nearly $50,000 for Botts.

“Seeing the love from BYU.....holy......what? What a great testament to the people of Utah and Brigham Young University,” Botts said.
          As of this posting, the total raised is at $49,477.44.

If you want to make a pledge or donation, link is in the article.
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• N. Carolina High Schooler Pulls Couple and Dog from Pickup Truck Sinking in Floodwaters

A North Carolina high school athlete recently rescued a man and woman from being drowned after their truck slid into deep floodwaters.

First reported by Columbus County News, Kenji “Flash” Bowen, a standout baseball and football player, was driving home last week with his girlfriend and their baby near Wilmington in the midst of a near-tropical storm that flooded parts of the state.

Nicknamed “Flash” by his teammates at East Columbus High School for his speed, he needed every bit of it when after being turned back by floodwaters on a secondary road, he saw a pickup truck inching along towards the torrent on the opposite side of the road, which according to Flash looked a lot more like the opposite side of a river.

“We turned down Woodyard Road, and got to the place where it was flooded,” Bowen told Columbus County News. “There was no way I was going through that with my family, so I got ready to turn around.”

“There was a truck pulling into the water from the other side, and I tried to flash my lights at him to tell him to stop, but I guess he didn’t see me.”

Though the man from nearby Kelly realized he couldn’t make it through the water, he was too late, and his tires began to spin while reversing as the water gradually shifted the car to the side. The truck started to float towards a ditch on the side of the roadway where the water was much deeper—then began to sink.

The young father then lept into the water and moved as fast as he could towards the truck. “That water was flowing stronger than anything I had ever seen. I got to the truck and grabbed hold, then started working toward them,” he remembered.

Inside the cab, the man and woman began making the mistake of trying to open the doors, which can’t be done once the car is partially submerged. Bowen helped the woman crawl out through the window, where Bowen’s girlfriend Caitlyn was waiting to help her make it up the grassy bank to dry land.

Bowen then went back to rescue the man and his dog—both through the window as the car was sinking.

Though a standout athlete, Bowen has no interest in swimming, and generally doesn’t like deep water, he said laughing.
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Ryan Reynolds Surprises 8-Year-Old Cancer Patient With A Superhero Visit

Ryan Reynolds brought a moment of magic to an 8-year-old cancer patient named Nash in Boston, delivering a heartwarming surprise that has touched many. The Deadpool and Wolverine actor visited Nash at Mass General for Children, as seen in a video shared on social media.

Reynolds, 47, entered the room with a bag of goodies, shaking Nash’s hand and sharing a special moment over a decorated Deadpool mask. The actor spoke to Nash about the work he does with the SickKids Foundation, an organization dedicated to supporting children with serious illnesses. Reynolds praised Nash for his incredible strength, telling him, "Everything you've gone through, that is a lot for an 8-year-old kid to shoulder. I hope you know that."

Adding to the fun, Reynolds even Facetimed his friend and Wolverine star Hugh Jackman during the visit, bringing an extra layer of excitement for the young fan.

Nash’s mother, Angie Poirier, shared a series of heartwarming photos from the day, calling it a "fairytale." She revealed that Reynolds had responded to a picture she sent of Nash’s custom Deadpool radiation mask, offering to meet her son in person. "We kept it a surprise for Nash," she wrote. "Thank you for this memory, Ryan!"
              Pictures and video in the link if interested.
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                Thanks for posting this. Although sad, it still brought a smile to my Saturday morning.
                "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Dedication. Much respect.

Dad Treks 30 Miles Through Hurricane Debris To Walk Daughter Down The Aisle

Today's good news story comes from Johnson City, Tennessee.

Despite the catastrophic aftermath of Hurricane Helene, David Jones embarked on an extraordinary journey to ensure he could walk his daughter down the aisle on her wedding day.

What should have been a two-hour drive from South Carolina to Johnson City, Tennessee, turned into a grueling 12.5-hour ordeal, marked by treacherous roads, miles of walking, and near-death encounters.

Jones left home expecting a straightforward drive to his daughter Elizabeth Marquez's wedding. However, severe storm debris blocked multiple routes along Interstate 26, forcing Jones to navigate numerous detours. By 2 A.M., he finally crossed into Tennessee, only to be told by a state trooper that all roads ahead were impassable.

Despite the daunting news, Jones refused to be deterred. “You have to understand. My daughter’s getting married at 11:00 this morning, and I’m going to be there to walk her down the aisle,” he explained. With nothing but his cell phone light to guide him, Jones set off on foot through pitch-black debris fields.

His path was littered with challenges, including climbing over piles of debris six to seven feet tall, and at one point, becoming stuck knee-deep in mud as a backhoe worked dangerously close by. Jones recalled praying fervently as he struggled to free himself. “I was up to my knees in mud and couldn’t move... Really, I’m thinking this could be it.”

After freeing himself and retrieving his lost shoe from the mud, Jones crawled through more debris until a miracle appeared in the form of a truck. The driver was a former colleague, who drove him the remaining eight miles to his destination.

Against all odds, David Jones arrived on time to walk his daughter down the aisle. The emotional moment wasn’t lost on Elizabeth, who was deeply moved by her father's dedication.

“That’s so emotionally moving, knowing that my dad loves me that much, that he’ll come and go through all of that to get to my wedding and be there on time,” she said.
                  News clip in the link.
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• As with Reynolds, now we have a Depp story.

Johnny Depp Dressed As Jack Sparrow Surprises Children In Hospital

Today's good news story comes from San Sebastián, Spain.

Johnny Depp, dressed as his beloved character Captain Jack Sparrow, made a surprise appearance at the Osakidetza Donostia University Hospital in Spain.

Depp was in the country for the San Sebastian Film Festival and took time out of his busy schedule to visit the pediatric and oncology wards, where he brought joy to young patients and their families.

The hospital staff and patients alike were thrilled to meet the famous pirate, and Depp didn’t disappoint. He stayed in character, sharing laughs and stories, helping the children forget about their current challenges, even if just for a little while.

The hospital shared that Depp’s presence was not only a gift to the children but also to the families and staff who witnessed the event.

"They shared laughs and anecdotes, helping the children forget their current difficulties for a few minutes," the hospital expressed. The staff further thanked Depp for his time and energy, calling it "a breath of fresh air" for everyone on the ward.
                    Video and pics in the link.
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Pilot Buys Pizza For 150 Passengers After Emergency Landing Leads To 7-Hour Delay

Today's good news story comes from Albuquerque, New Mexico.

A United Airlines pilot went above and beyond to comfort passengers after an unexpected emergency mid-flight led to a 7-hour delay.

The flight, traveling from San Francisco to Houston on September 13, was forced to make an emergency landing due to a medical emergency on board.

While one passenger was rushed off in an ambulance, the rest of the passengers were left waiting as their new flight was rescheduled for 11 p.m.

With 150 passengers grounded for hours, the pilot decided to turn the situation around by ordering 30 pizzas from a local pizza shop. Tanya Stamos, a passenger on the flight, shared the story on social media, praising the pilot for his thoughtful gesture.

"Our pilot is absolutely amazing," Stamos wrote, alongside a photo of the pilot handing out pizza to waiting passengers. "He felt so bad for the situation that he ordered 30 pizzas from a local pizza shop and had it delivered right to our gate."
                      Pretty cool gesture that didn't have to be made.
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Going above and beyond for loyal customers. It makes me smile.

Houston Chick-fil-A Team Helps Terminally Ill Guest Achieve Bucket List Item

A Houston Chick-fil-A recently went far above and beyond the typical customer service to surprise a terminally-ill regular with a bucket list experience… of sorts.

Bill and Becky decided 20 years ago as they approached retirement they’d set out to visit every state capital, but as the years went on they never found a good time to visit, Juneau, Alaska.

Now carrying a terminal cancer diagnosis, Bill and his partner Becky of more than 50 years had all but accepted this bucket list adventure would end on a dour note.

But when the Springwoods Village location of Chick-fil-A found out about Bill’s unfulfilled dream, they decided, in honor of the two longtime regulars, to contact a location in Juneau and concoct a plan.

“Bill and Becky mean so much to our team and we wanted to do what we could to help them complete their bucket list,” said Mike Magdaleno, local Chick-fil-A owner-operator. “We loved channeling a spirit for adventure from Alaska to Texas, and were honored to play a small part in helping them achieve this incredible milestone.”

The Juneau Chick-fil-A team got a hold of a photograph from Bill and Becky’s wedding day, blew it up into a cardboard cutout, and began placing it in front of iconic Juneau sites, including the state capitol building, and the Mendenhall Glacier, where a visual artist used their wedding photo as inspiration to draw them sitting comfortably in front of the Glacier as if they had visited in their twenties.
                        Pictures are intertwined with the rest of the story. It's a really nice gesture and effort made. Not surprised that it was done by two Chick-fil-A locations.
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                        X