No announcement yet.

2022 Masters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scottie Vs Cam Smith today is a great showcase of 2 of the hottest young men on tour. It should be a great afternoon.
    "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

There's little doubt he is hurting and limited physically at this point.

Just my .02 (admittedly worthless) on Tiger. In the golfing world, I find Phil far more annoying than Tiger when it comes to how they treat the media/fans.

Tiger isn't perfect. And I despise driving impaired probably more than most. Tiger's a hell of a lot more perfect, in general, than I am or most people I know (perhaps I need to hang out with a better group of people IDK) and I'll take what he's done for kids to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars raised by him or on his behalf and gladly forgive the missteps elsewhere.

Much like Gregg, but on a much larger scale, Tiger has been a huge net plus for humanity. I'd happily take several more Tiger Woods.

And he's the best golfer of all time, Jack is 2nd, and it's not particularly close in my mind, and it's even further back to whomever you think occupies the #3 spot.
      Not particularly close? Really?

Equipment, courses, and competition benefited Woods during his peak. Though I do think Woods plays with a blade which somewhat negates the equipment argument. My competition comparisons are subjective but if I have time, I’ll back up my belief.

Tiger equals Snead with total tournaments won with Jack at 3rd. Tiger leads being atop the money list though competition was easier. Nicklaus has more majors, and completely dominates top 5 and top 10 major finishes over Tiger by a substantial margin. Tiger made more consecutive cuts against inferior competition.

Tiger wins the media hype for sure but still does not take over Jack as the greatest.

A better argument could me made for 2nd best. I’ll go with Bobby over Tiger.

Comment

I had a great championship Sunday with my cousin. If our government was run how they operate at August National our country would be in great shape. Over 40,000 patrons grace the hollowed grounds of the course the great Bobby Jones built. They navigate you through the multiple golf merchandise shops, check you out and immediately send you to UPS to ship your shirts, flags and hats home. They don't recommend carrying around a merchandise bag because it slows you down from buying beer, pimento and cheese sandwiches and ice cream. Speaking of concessions, you can buy a beer, pimento and cheese sandwich and chips for under $10. No, this is not a typo. Get this factoid...The Masters generates $850,000 per HOUR...again not a typo. When you go the restrooms they have several attendants asking the question "Sitting, or standing." They also ask not to shake it more than once, because it delays the next patron from the joy of relieving the bladder pressure.

The golf on Sunday was really good. Scheffler was solid until the 4-putt to close out his Masters win, but who cares, he could have 6-putted and still won. I saw part of Rory's amazing 64...the roar after his "bunker dunk" on 18 was really loud. Shane Lowery's 69 was much better than that, but his triple bogie on #4 cooked his goose. I followed Will Zalatoris tied Colin Morikawa for the second lowest score of the day (67). This kid finished 2nd last year to go along with his t6 this year. He will be a huge factor in big events going forward. Tiger...well I am not a great fan of his, but I did peep in on him for a few holes. He has lost his power advantage of yesteryear, but who could blame him with his many physical transformations due to injury. He gimped around August National like Kirk Gibson rounded the bases after his homerun in the 1988 World Series. It was obvious he was compromised physically. Walking August National is no Sim Park stroll, let me tell you.

All in all, what a treat it was to be witness to a great tournament and great performance by Scotty Scheffler. I got to play some good courses in the Augusta area and reconnect with some buddies I haven't seen in awhile. Now back to the reality of how can the Shockers rebound and sign some players to compete next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Veritas View Post

Not particularly close? Really?

Equipment, courses, and competition benefited Woods during his peak. Though I do think Woods plays with a blade which somewhat negates the equipment argument. My competition comparisons are subjective but if I have time, I’ll back up my belief.

Tiger equals Snead with total tournaments won with Jack at 3rd. Tiger leads being atop the money list though competition was easier. Nicklaus has more majors, and completely dominates top 5 and top 10 major finishes over Tiger by a substantial margin. Tiger made more consecutive cuts against inferior competition.

Tiger wins the media hype for sure but still does not take over Jack as the greatest.

A better argument could me made for 2nd best. I’ll go with Bobby over Tiger.

One could make the same argument of the equipment Old and Young Tom Morris, Willie Park, Harry Vardon, Bobby Jones, Gene Sarazen, Tommy Armour, Byron Nelson and Ben Hogan used. Then you become completely incoherent about competition. Jack played in an era that had significantly less great players. I am not bringing Jack down because he absolutely dominated. I am not going into detail because it is a silly argument. Over the past 20-30 years with the presence of the rest of the non-American boom of world-class golfers, fields are so much more competitive it isn't even funny. For anybody to believe otherwise is just not educated...sorry. Again, I am not a big Tiger fan, but he is the greatest talent the game of golf has ever seen.

Comment

Thats the thing. You give Jack Nicklaus one of these new drivers and a Pro V1 back in his prime and he's gonna be bombing drives like Tiger too.

Fred Couples and Davis Love were able to hit bombs when Tiger was a rookie as well.

I would agree that there is more competition now. Whether it's better or just more, who knows. Law of averages will say that with that many more players, the number of higher quality players is bound to be higher too, so tough to say the competition is worse now then in the past, for sure.
            "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Originally posted by SHOXAAC View Post

One could make the same argument of the equipment Old and Young Tom Morris, Willie Park, Harry Vardon, Bobby Jones, Gene Sarazen, Tommy Armour, Byron Nelson and Ben Hogan used. Then you become completely incoherent about competition. Jack played in an era that had significantly less great players. I am not bringing Jack down because he absolutely dominated. I am not going into detail because it is a silly argument. Over the past 20-30 years with the presence of the rest of the non-American boom of world-class golfers, fields are so much more competitive it isn't even funny. For anybody to believe otherwise is just not educated...sorry. Again, I am not a big Tiger fan, but he is the greatest talent the game of golf has ever seen.
              Here’s a bit more objective analysis which provides additional perspectives on both sides of the discussion.
              Interesting info on competition. Enjoy

https://www.sportscasting.com/is-tig...-goat-in-golf/

Comment

After watching this weekend, I got hyped and went and bought some clubs, threw on my old copa mundials and a tank top and launched my new pro golf career at the range. I can already tell I have "it", because people were watching my every move. BTW, it took a LOT of practice, but I found out if you use a wedge on the putting green when you have a real long putt, your ball will stop quicker than if you smack it with a putter. Make sure to fix the grass chunkers though, because people were getting PISSY. ALSO, ALSO, VERY IMPORTANTLY if it's super windy outside, make sure to stomp your stoagie COMPLETELY out before driving to the next tee box, for obvious reasons. Seems obvious now, looking back on it.
                Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                  After watching this weekend, I got hyped and went and bought some clubs, threw on my old copa mundials and a tank top and launched my new pro golf career at the range. I can already tell I have "it", because people were watching my every move. BTW, it took a LOT of practice, but I found out if you use a wedge on the putting green when you have a real long putt, your ball will stop quicker than if you smack it with a putter. Make sure to fix the grass chunkers though, because people were getting PISSY. ALSO, ALSO, VERY IMPORTANTLY if it's super windy outside, make sure to stomp your stoagie COMPLETELY out before driving to the next tee box, for obvious reasons. Seems obvious now, looking back on it.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Here’s a bit more objective analysis which provides additional perspectives on both sides of the discussion.
                    Interesting info on competition. Enjoy

https://www.sportscasting.com/is-tig...-goat-in-golf/
                    I am open to Jack being number one due to majors. He might be third all-time in wins to Tiger and Sam Snead, but number one in majors. As far as the competition debate, it isn't even close people. Tiger's competition is soooooooooooooo much more difficult. Kyle Dalton is as short-sided in his thinking is you are. His rationale is Jack's era was tougher because players like Trevino, Watson, Miller had so many more majors than the typical player today. The reason is there were a handful of great players in Jack's era, so they will get many of the majors Jack didn't win. Today there are literally 60 players or more with the ability to win majors. The depth in Jack's era isn't even on the same map. The other short-side thinking on Dalton's part is addressing the health of golf outside the United States. Back in the day Player, Bob Charles and Peter Thompson were the best non-Americans. Today there isn't enough fingers and toes to count the great players capable of winning majors. So let's stop being silly about the competition unless we are willing to be rational about it.

Comment

Most golf scholars or those that truly know the game disagree with you. Not all, but most.
                      Somehow, I don’t think it will change your beliefs,

Comment

Most golf scholars or those that truly know the game disagree with you. Not all, but most.

You did not quote a golf scholar.

Comment

Scheffler is on a tremendous run right now. He's won 4 of his last 6 tournaments including a WGC event and the Masters. And to think he hadn't won a PGA tournament before this year.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
                            Scheffler is on a tremendous run right now. He's won 4 of his last 6 tournaments including a WGC event and the Masters. And to think he hadn't won a PGA tournament before this year.
                            His accent to number one after his first Tour win was 42 days. Tiger’s was 240 days or somewhere in that range.

Comment

Plus the development of the Korn Ferry Tour over the past 30 plus years has only added to the level of competition. The author didn’t address that either.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOXAAC View Post

His accent to number one after his first Tour win was 42 days. Tiger’s was 240 days or somewhere in that range.
                                That's because the competition isn't as tough.
                                Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Working...
                                X