General News in the 316

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shocker_torero View Post
    Thanks for summarizing and posting this.

The fact that the city manager is still talking like the Integra project is in play is a positive sign given the radio silence and delays on the funding front. We need to remember this project absolutely will not happen without government support through the CHIPs act, and we’re still not guaranteed to get any, or all, of what was requested. This funding is also dependent of state funding, which, if I remember correctly has a sunset window in April. That will either need to be pushed back by the KS legislature, renewed, etc.

Still crossing my fingers, but not overly optimistic. Integra expanding to that degree would be huge.

Integra, at least a month ago, through sources I cannot disclose, was still optimistic about federal funding and are still talking to those within various areas of the construction industry about the project.

I believe the KS legislature has already pushed it back once, as I believe the initial time frame was around the end of the year. I'm sure if there's still optimism about funding eventually being granted that they'll push it back again. I think this project is too important to let it fall apart just because DC is inefficient and slow.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Highway updates

KAKE - Four south-central Kansas highway projects added to IKE Development Pipeline

Four modernization or expansion projects located in south central Kansas totaling $453 million were added to the IKE Development Pipeline, Governor Laura Kelly announced Thursday.

This now clears the way for preliminary engineering work to begin on these four regional projects, according to the Kansas Department of Transportation.

“I’m pleased to see interchange improvements and replacement of the U.S. 50 bridge over Meridian Road and the BNSF Railroad southwest of Newton in Harvey County have been added to the IKE Development Pipeline, said Kansas Senator Carolyn McGinn. “This project, as well as other projects selected across south central Kansas, was identified as a top regional priority during last fall’s Local Consult community meetings. It’s heartening to know Kansans voices are being heard.”

The South Central Kansas Development Pipeline project types, description/scope and estimated cost are:
      • U.S. 54 expansion project, bypass/4-lane freeway from 1 mile west of K-11/U.S. 54 to existing 4-lanes east of Kingman in Kingman County, $173 million
      • K-254 expansion project, new interchange, overpass and connector road at Webb and Road roads in Sedgwick County, $50 million
      • U.S. 54/Kellogg Avenue expansion project, 6-lane freeway east of 159th Street and east to Prairie Creek Road in Butler County, $200 million
      • U.S. 50/Meridian Street interchange modernization and bridge replacement project in Newton/Harvey County, $30 million

https://ike.ksdot.gov/projects/devel...ouncement-2024

I believe in regards to K254, this only deals with one of the many intersections that have become quite dangerous, but it's a start.

It also seems to continue the expansion of 54 east through Andover.

I'm not familiar enough with the Kingman and Harvey County areas.
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
        Highway updates

KAKE - Four south-central Kansas highway projects added to IKE Development Pipeline

I believe in regards to K254, this only deals with one of the many intersections that have become quite dangerous, but it's a start.

The 254 upgrades excite me....hopefully it becomes a complete freeway all the way to the turnpike with a limited slow down interchange merging onto the KTA.

Comment

• this article and a few other resources mid-characterize the 254 upgrades. It should state Webb and Rock road interchanges. So, it should be two new interchanges not just one.

​​​​​​​
          Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
          Highway updates

Comment

this article and a few other resources mid-characterize the 254 upgrades. It should state Webb and Rock road interchanges. So, it should be two new interchanges not just one.

​​​​​​​
            I wondered about that as I'd only seen Webb not only in the article but on one of the links I looked at. Still, it's a start. Greenwich, Butler, Main (Benton), Adams (Santa Fe), River Valley (Towanda), and Ohio (also Towanda) will all need to be addressed as well eventually.

Both Greenwich and Butler have been bad. River Valley has been horrible over the years as well. But I always knew it would be very expensive to do what's fully necessary for 254. Hopefully they plan to come back to it in the near future.
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Robotic weeding for farms being developed in Sedgwick County.

GreenField Robotics started in 2018 and recently received an investment from Chipotle’s $100 million venture capital fund.
              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

• Just saw a post on FB about another horrible accident at 254 and Hunter (Towanda). I have no specifics other than people saying it is pretty bad.

The sooner they figure out all of 254 the better.
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Public service announcement: Reminder this is how Steve Irwin died. They still have the little mini goats you can feed instead.
                  Funny story. On a cruise my wife and I did a "swim with the stingrays" excursion. Toward the end she felt a sharp pain in her arm. Of course, we're thinking she somehow got stung. When we got on the boat to return to the island, she asked the Caribbean tour guides about it. They immediately said, you got scratched by a blade of sea grass. Apparently, it's a thing. That spot on her arm was very sensitive for at least a couple days after.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post

Funny story. On a cruise my wife and I did a "swim with the stingrays" excursion. Toward the end she felt a sharp pain in her arm. Of course, we're thinking she somehow got stung. When we got on the boat to return to the island, she asked the Caribbean tour guides about it. They immediately said, you got scratched by a blade of sea grass. Apparently, it's a thing. That spot on her arm was very sensitive for at least a couple days after.
                    I think the movie Jaws was pretty adequate in explaining that people don't belong in the ocean.
                    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• WBJ - Restoration of historic Orpheum Theatre boosted by 2% sales tax

Wichita's Orpheum Theatre will get a boost from a new city incentive to support its ongoing $9.5-million restoration that is expected to shutter the historic theater for a year.

On Tuesday, Wichita's City Council approved the creation of a new community improvement district, which will allow for an additional 2% sales tax on purchases within the theater, including ticket sales and concessions, to go toward the costs of interior rehabilitation, lighting system upgrades, new seating and other improvements.

Proceeds from the CID will reimburse up to nearly $1.1 million for the project — a small piece of the Orpheum's overall capital fundraising campaign.

"Our theater's aging obviously, she's in urgent need of repair," Orpheum executive director Rachel Banning said Tuesday to the Council. "These updates we'll be able to what we call run her a little bit faster and a little bit harder, so we might be able to host two events a day versus the one a day that we're currently doing."

Over the years, more than $10 million has gone into the Orpheum and "restoring it back to her former grandeur," Banning said during the Council meeting.

She added the theater has so far raised about $4.3 million for the latest restoration effort. That includes roughly $67,200 from a state grant that was approved in December.

With the improvements, Banning said the number of shows at the Orpheum is expected to increase about 25% to 124 shows each year. The project will also increase the number of annual guests from 60,000 to more than 100,000, she said.
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• I do enjoy me some Firehouse, and the fact that they do these things makes it even more worthwhile.

MSN - Firehouse Subs donates $91k to local fire departments

Three local fire departments received $91,211 in equipment grants from the Firehouse Subs Public Safety Foundation.

An equipment dedication event was held at the Firehouse Subs Derby Rock, where the Derby Fire Department, Mulvane Fire Department, and Sedgwick County Fire District 1 all received a check to purchase the equipment.

The Derby Fire Department received a vehicle stabilization kit valued at $35,936. A news release says stabilization struts are the first step in the extrication process and allow for a fast and safe rescue of patients following motor vehicle accidents.

The Mulvane Fire Department and Sedgwick County Fire District 1 both received extrication equipment valued at $55,275.
                        Rounding up doesn't cost much, but it adds up.
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Wichita by EB - Wichita Asian Night Market, one of Wichita's fastest growing events, returns this May

Put May 18 on your calendar now. It’s the return of the Wichita Asian Night Market which will once again take place at Riverfront Stadium.

The event started in 2022 and took place at Naftzger Park. After exceeding expectations with attendance, the event was forced to move to a bigger venue and that ended up being Riverfront Stadium in 2023. Event hosts also extended the Asian Night Market into the evening to give it a traditional nighttime feel.

In 2024, you can expect even more changes. This year, an Asian fashion show, fireworks show and extending the end time even later into the evening will be some new additions that attendees can expect.

If you missed it last year, the Asian Night Market is inspired by the late night bazaars of Asia. It’s an event where people come together to enjoy the many local eats, drinks, and arts of Asian cuisine, socialize and experience a new nighttime entertainment unlike others in Wichita. The Asian Night Market aims to unite and empower the community by serving as a platform for showcasing local talent, including performers, chefs, entrepreneurs, and fun for all ages.
                          Seems like a fantastic event that I hope to check out at some point.
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• WBJ - Cyber company Knowmadics will grow footprint in Wichita with U.S. Special Ops agreement

After opening offices in Wichita last fall, a cybersecurity firm has been offered a government contract that will help it expand locally.

Knowmadics, a Virginia-based cybersecurity and software company, was awarded an agreement in February from the U.S. Special Operations Commandto develop technology solutions designed to secure space and terrestrial operations.

Because of the nature of the contract, called an Other Transaction Agreement, or OTA, Knowmadics is not allowed to release either the dollars awarded or the project it will develop.

But, Paul Maguire, the company's CEO and co-founder, said "traditionally, OTAs have a substantial ceiling like in the hundreds of millions of dollars."

The Wichita office of Knowmadics, which operates a Cyber Center of Excellence at Groover Labs downtown, already has three employees, with Maguire ready to hire three more within the month and another three by year's end.

Maguire said he wants to hire people from the cybersecurity squadron at McConnell Air Force Base as they retire, and he expects Wichita State University will also need to hire more people as the project ramps up.

"We're going to be moving a substantial amount of revenue to WSU to help us with research," Maguire said. "They're going to be helping us take and create digital representations of physical devices and then securing that so that we can run tests and evaluation against it."
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

I’m not sure how to feel about this if Boeing did end up buying back their work. Lot of uncertainty around where work would go, commitment to the community, etc.

Boeing has never given me the warm and fuzzy that they’re all in on Wichita and the workforce there. Would hate to see Boeing buy it back just to long term plan to move all the work to Washington. If that happened, just start calling Wichita little Detroit.

The Boeing Corporation has been a troubled company for more than a decade. Recall when they attempted to move their corporate headquarters to Chicago for some esoteric reason...probably a lot of Illinois tax breaks promised or something like that. Have to agree...don't trust the company leadership.at this point.

Comment

• Originally posted by N Crestway View Post

The Boeing Corporation has been a troubled company for more than a decade. Recall when they attempted to move their corporate headquarters to Chicago for some esoteric reason...probably a lot of Illinois tax breaks promised or something like that. Have to agree...don't trust the company leadership.at this point.
                                I thought Boeing's stated reason to move to Chicago was to be close to their customers, which have HQ in Chicago or a major presence. Then they moved their HQ to Arlington, VA probably to be closer to another major customer, the Dept. of Defense . . . and Congress.

Comment

Working...
                                X