General News in the 316

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General News in the 316

I'm not sure if there's a better title for what I'm going for here, but during my stint on another now defunct Shocker board, we had a general thread of things going on, new development, whatever, in regards to the greater metro area. Some things may not deserve a new thread for themselves, but could be collected in a general grouping. We have a specific thread around Wichita State's growth potential and what's going on there, but it doesn't hurt to have a similarish thread for the region. If this is a bad idea, we can abandon this line of thought. If it doesn't work, it'll die out and be relegated to the depths of ShockerNet. But I'm going to give this a try.

Many of us have talked over the years about diversification and getting more tech related businesses to Wichita. Recently, a cyber security company has set up shop at Epic Center and is already talking about expansion here in ICT.

“I’m just overjoyed about the experience that we’ve had here opening the office and then subsequently doing the hiring,” he said. “The pool of talent here has far exceeded my expectations. So, you know, my growth expectation for Wichita now is much higher than when we first come here, but we’re already trying to expand the office space even though we just opened it.”

Anderson said his company had had conversations with all the local universities about the training curriculum for roles with Novacoast, but everything has been great so far.

“The nice thing about us is that we hire at so many different levels that we don’t even need people to come out of university-specific education,” he said. “We’ll take people who are very green and build them from the ground up.”
    I may need to sign back up for the WBJ.

Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

I like the idea of this thread. I don't watch much news so if it isn't on SN I don't usually hear about it.
    Go Shocks!

Comment

I've been meaning to resubscribe to the WBJ and will eventually. If anyone currently has a subscription and wants to give us a bit more info on these, please do. Otherwise, I'll come back and do it when I get the chance. I tried reactivating my account some time last week but was getting errors and it wouldn't go through.

Metropolitan Baptist Church sells in first major step of Riverfront Village development

Cargill's $2 million grant launches Wichita Collective Impact

NCAA women's basketball expected to bring in $1M in economic impact to Wichita

Apparently they're planning activities in Naftzger Park for Saturday.

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Riverfront Partners has partnered with another Wichita based development company in Birds Eye Holdings. No immediate plans for the space, but deals will be made with tenants before construction begins. Saw something about Texas St. having been extended for easy access to a future parking garage and then talk of a pedestrian walkway between Texas and McLean. So nothing new in regards to actual construction beginning, but it's another step towards the development. They really do have the opportunity to make a really nice, destination area in the Delano area. I know I'm excited about the potential that is there for the area.

Education focused grant. Initial use appears to be focused on early childhood education in whatever area is ZIP 67214. Partners of the program include Greater Wichita YMCA, United Way of the Plains, Public Policy and Management Center at WSU and Wichita Public Schools. They're hoping to expand the area served in the future. I'll never complain about private entities investing in education and opportunities for others.

NCAA women's basketball expected to bring in $1M in economic impact to Wichita

Apparently they're planning activities in Naftzger Park for Saturday.
        Should be some good games on Saturday, with Louisville vs Tennessee and Michigan vs South Dakota.

Didn't realize that Louisville has a guard, Payton Verhulst, who is from DeSoto.

Also interesting is that the travel party from each team is expected to be 75 to 100 people. They're also expecting up to 4k visitors from outside of the metro area. Not a huge number, but it is women's basketball.

Interesting other events that have or will take place. We apparently hosted the NAIA men's wrestling championships March 4-5. Also hosted NAIA men's and women's regionals March 11-12. Obviously the women's regional this weekend. Goddard is hosting the US trials for baton twirling at GHS the 25-27. And then the Wheelchair basketball national championships will be hosted at the Wichita Sports Forum and Wichita Hoops from March 30-April 3.

Some of those obviously don't appeal to many, most or all of us, but they still bring in money. That list is expected to bring in 3M to the local economy.

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

NXTUS betting on Wichita with new startup accelerator program

Apparently hosting a bootcamp of sorts for 10 regional companies.

• 2U Auto, which provides mobile auto detailing.

• Cognition Med, a mobile medical collaboration platform.

• EZ Later, an app that manages the repayment of buy-now, pay-later loans.

• Fair Market Health, which is an online health-care marketplace.

• Retention Engine, which handles customer cancellation requests using AI.

• The Thread, a leadership collective that works to empower women in their careers.

• Unified, which facilitates gaming competitions.

• Virtual Goals Assistant, an online business manager that can help with administrative services, content creation and social media management.

• Zeep & Co., which makes premium body care and home fragrance products.

• Soya, which is an on-demand fuel delivery service.
          List of companies and brief description. I'm all for anything that helps promote local entrepreneurship and hopefully future Wichita companies that grow and expand. One such success story is LawnBuddy. They now offer services coast to coast for lawncare and connect people to what they need.

NXTUS launches new round of fintech startup contest

Entrepreneurial group NXTUS Inc. is launching its next pilot competition through its NXTSTAGE arm, this time again focusing on financial technology startups.

Premiere sponsors for the competition are Emprise Bank and Fidelity Bank. The organization is also receiving support for the contest from Intrust Bank and grant funding from the Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation and the U.S. Economic Development Association.

Applications for fintech startups are available online, with a March 31 deadline.
          NXTUS is what used to be known as e2e, which we used to talk about quite a bit on the defunct board. They've been big in trying to encourage and support the entrepreneurial spirit in Wichita. I'll have to look into it, but I believe they used to have some space downtown that they offered to let startups use for a certain time to help them get on their feet. If it wasn't them, it was someone that they worked with.

Being able to create some successful startups, especially in tech related fields, doesn't hurt the attraction of Wichita to bigger companies looking to expand or possibly relocate if CA continues to tax and regulate businesses to death.

Speaking of which, [/url=https://www.bizjournals.com/wichita/inno/stories/news/2022/03/07/wichita-startup-plots-path-to-1m-sales-in-2022.html]Wichita startup plots path to $1M in 2022 sales[/url]

Kamsa Thephavong brought his K&G Digital 360 LLC business to Wichita in 2017 after two years in Des Moines following college in Iowa.

What launched as a one-person digital marketing business has since grown to 25 contract workers and a growing client list that should help Thephavong cross an important milestone this year.

“We should do $1 million (in sales) this year,” he says.
          He goes on to compliment the entrepreneurial organizations and support for and amongst startups here. He also believes Wichita has what he needs for future talent and growth.
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

I saw a headline recently (didn't read the article, couldn't get through the paywall) that because the Greenwich section is done, the city has paused on Kellogg construction for the first time since they started expanding it in the 1980s. Does anyone know if they intend to create interchanges at 119th and 135th any time soon?

I was in town last week visiting family. Seemed to me that 119th needs to be done pretty badly.
            "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Last I heard is that Kellogg is done for the time being with I believe only routine maintenance in the near-term. Though I'm sure that there will be future expansion and upgrades.
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                Last I heard is that Kellogg is done for the time being with I believe only routine maintenance in the near-term. Though I'm sure that there will be future expansion and upgrades.
                In the year...
                "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post

In the year...

Comment

They should continue with interchanges to try and stay ahead. The problem is they are 10 years behind when they should have built them.

But at this point, they have to be getting close to the city limit, so maybe they want some shared costs with the county and the Andovers and Goddards. At the very least, they should be making them 6 lanes.
                    "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

I don't have numbers, but it sounds like the women's tournament is well attended. There are a section of seats behind the Tennessee bench that aren't full, but most everywhere else in the lower bowl looks good from what I've seen. Also have a friend there who verifies that. Also sounds good on TV and the commentary crew has spoken about the support there.

All of this only helps Wichita land future men's and women's events at IBA. I really look forward to the next opportunity to host the men's tournament.
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                        I don't have numbers, but it sounds like the women's tournament is well attended. There are a section of seats behind the Tennessee bench that aren't full, but most everywhere else in the lower bowl looks good from what I've seen. Also have a friend there who verifies that. Also sounds good on TV and the commentary crew has spoken about the support there.

All of this only helps Wichita land future men's and women's events at IBA. I really look forward to the next opportunity to host the men's tournament.
                        The seats behind Tennessee’s bench are for Michigan fans. It will fill up before their game. Very good crowds.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

The seats behind Tennessee’s bench are for Michigan fans. It will fill up before their game. Very good crowds.
                          That would explain why it appeared a few more were taken during the 2nd half.
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

More in the future for US 54:

Kansas to spend $166 million on next Kellogg improvement project - KAKE

Kelly highway plan calls for $166 million in US-54 upgrades | The Wichita Eagle (kansas.com)

Comment

Interesting. Thought the Kellogg and 96 area was fine, but if they're expanding to six lanes all the way to Butler County it will have to be updated.
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                              X