No announcement yet.

General News in the 316

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obviously first step is to get the service. Scheduling of arrival / departures will play into the success.
    I’m not sure of the schedule but catching a train to Forth Worth at 4:30am or to Newton at 12:30am with connections East and West will impact ridership.
    I’m not a big fan of small city stops in Kansas and Oklahoma which will lengthen travel time to OKC or FW but it’s a start.

One step at a time.

Comment

• WBJ - Quebec official comes to Wichita to talk about increased aerospace trade

Representatives of the Quebec government are in Wichita this week ahead of the upcoming Kansas Global Holiday Market to build greater economic connections, particularly in the aviation sector.

Wichita already has at least one significant tie to Quebec.

Bombardier, which has international headquarters in Quebec, designated Wichita as its U.S. headquarters last year.
      "The goal of this trip is to find a way to identify how we can build on this relationship; 70% of our exports come to the U.S.," said Jean-Francois Hould, an official with the Quebec government, in a Thursday interview with the WBJ. "The aerospace industry is $8.6 billion at home, and 57% of it goes to the U.S."

Quebec started Canada's first aerospace hub, having 50% of the country's aerospace sector capability. In addition, both the province and the Canadian government, according to the Quebec Government Office, pledged more than $2 billion to support the growth of aerospace.
      Hould compared the aerospace ecosystem of Wichita with that of Quebec, noting there are smaller Canadian companies wanting to grow in the U.S., and hoping the same is true for Kansas manufacturers.

"There's like a kind of gap, and we want to move the needle in the right direction ... between Canada and the U.S.," he said. "How can we find the gaps in the supply chain and make sure that we identify key suppliers who can be players to do a kind of win-win for Kansas and for Quebec?"

Similar to Wichita, defense and space make up a growing part of aerospace in Quebec.

Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• WBJ - Amtrak route through Wichita takes a needed federal step

“The extension of the Heartland Flyer passenger rail would further connect Kansans to Oklahoma City and north-central Texas, unlocking business, educational, and cultural opportunities to Kansans and enabling our neighbors to the south to add to the Kansas economy,” Kelly said in a statement. “One of Kansas’ greatest assets is that we are in the center of the country, which is why my administration has supported rail projects like this to build on that strength.”

The Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas transportation departments submitted the application for funding for the extension of Amtrak's Heartland route. KDOT, according to the release, has completed a scope, schedule and cost estimate to determine feasibility for the railroad's expansion. The FRA's study to scheduled to be completed in the spring.

In 2013, then-Wichita City Council member Pete Meitzner, and other railroad advocates, started trying to land an extension of Amtrak's existing Heartland Flyer. Although the passenger route would run on existing freight track, infrastructure improvements are needed.
        I know my niece has used rail services to travel from KC to Chicago a time or two. She seemed to enjoy it. At the time, she also didn't have a car because she'd been living in San Francisco for work and her boyfriend is from the Chicago 'burbs and was having medical issues. My brother is living in KC so she'd fly in and see him and then travel to and from Chicago as needed. Her firm also has a Chicago office so she'd work out of there when in town.

I don't know how much it costs to travel, but you do relieve some of the stress of driving, or if you don't have a car it simply gives you the ability to travel.

It would be nice one day if rail services made even more sense and connected more areas. I don't know if that day will ever come, but one can wish. I know CA has had the high speed boondoggle that was supposed to connect I think LA and SF and cost billions of dollars and has never been completed. I also saw a report of funding for high speed rail from LA to LV is being planned. We'll see how that goes.
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• I guess I don’t understand the market for Amtrak. Costs nearly as much as airfare, but is slower than just driving due to the stops and limited routes.

Just seems like something we’re holding on to for bygone reasons.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
            I guess I don’t understand the market for Amtrak. Costs nearly as much as airfare, but is slower than just driving due to the stops and limited routes.

Yeah but airplanes can only seat a limited number of people and Texas needs to migrate millions of illegal immigrants to the north, so this makes that way more efficient.
            Last edited by Kung Wu; December 12, 2023, 11:31 AM.
            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• WBJ - Wichita regional psychiatric hospital site narrowed to 4 locations

The former Riverside Hospital complex near Central Avenue and McLean Boulevard is one of four sites identified by Sedgwick County and the Kansas Department for Aging and Disability Services for the home of a new south-central regional psychiatric hospital project.

Three other sites — Meridian and MacArthur in southwest Wichita, 53rd Street North and Greenwich Road in Bel Aire, and 85th North and I-135 in Park City — are undeveloped parcels.

"The review committee is excited about the progress being made toward opening a new regional psychiatric hospital and selecting a location is an important step forward in the process," KDADS deputy secretary of hospitals and facilities Scott Brunner said in a statement.

Residents can weigh in on the sites during a town hall meeting from 5 to 7 p.m. Tuesday at Wichita State University's Hughes Metropolitan Complex, 5015 E. 29th St. N. A livestream of the meeting is scheduled on the KDADS YouTube channel.
              Curious to see how this plays out. I don't think most people would object to the need of such a place, but I wonder how much NIMBY will play into discussions.
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• KAKE - Preparations underway for 2024 Wichita air show featuring the Blue Angels

Preparations are underway for the next air show in Wichita. For the first time in 17 years, the Blue Angels will headline the Frontiers in Flight Air Show.

Two pilots flew to McConnell Air-force Base to lay the foundations of the event.

Lt. Conner O’Donnell said,We're making sure that we have all the ground support equipment we need as well as a good plan for the layout of the show.”

The air show director, Capt. Ryan Shaive said he wants this show to be bigger and better than last year’s, and that, “Wichita gives so much to us at McConnell so it’s time we give back to them.”

You can catch the Blue Angels at McConnell Air-force Base on August 24th and 25th, 2024.
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• I'm personally more concerned with and focused on K-254, but this is probably important as well.

Audacy - Sedgwick County looks at improving K-15 corridor

At Tuesday's meeting the Sedgwick County Commission will consider an agreement with the Kansas Department of Transportation to study the K-15 corridor ... with an eye toward improving safety and traffic flow on a very busy highway. Sedgwick County Commission Chair Pete Meitzner tells KNSS News that corridor between Wichita and Derby has been a "problem" with the railroad tracks running next to the highway for many years.

This week the federal government allotted $500,000 to fund a plan studying passenger rail service between Oklahoma City and Newton, through Wichita. Commissioner Pete Meitzner tells KNSS News it looks as if passenger rail service will be returning to Wichita, after an absence since 1979.

Meitzner commented during his weekly appearance with Steve and Ted in the Morning on KNSS.
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• I don't see a link to a story yet, but did see a FB post by KAKE that water is being shut off to stores in Towne West. I'm guessing it has to do with failure to pay. So they have electricity for now, but water is iffy...

KAKE - Water service shut off at three Towne West stores, more possibly coming

Three stores at Towne West Square have had their water shut off this week, with more facing a possible service shut off due to non-payment.

While the stores are unnamed, the City has confirmed that two had their water disconnected Tuesday, with an additional store following suit on Wednesday. Four more stores are scheduled for shut off next Monday, unless the city receives their payment.

This is not the first time utilities had been disconnected to stores at the mall. Earlier this year, Evergy shut electricity service off two separate times, one in September, the other in November, and was facing a third shutoff in June, but mall owner Kohan Retail Investment Group was able to pay their bill.
                    Last edited by SubGod22; December 13, 2023, 04:15 PM. Reason: Link to story added
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• WBJ - Derby City Council approves Greenwood Village mixed-use development district

Tim Garvey's plans for a transformative, 154-acre development in Derby are marching forward.

Earlier this week, the Derby City Council unanimously approved a mixed-use planned unit development district for Greenwood Village, which would bring unique residential and commercial options to the growing suburb southeast of Wichita.

Located at the northeast corner of 55th Street South and Rock Road, the developer's vision would create a walkable, mixed-use community featuring 950 dwelling units, 450,000 square feet of non-residential development and over 14 acres of open space.
                      It's an ambitious project that could be quite the add once it's up and running.

Plans call for eight residential types on site, ranging from apartments to estate homes, as well as multiple small-lot, single-family housing options not currently present in Derby.

On the commercial side, a wide range of potential uses include office, restaurants, retail and a hotel. Renderings presented to both the City Council and planning commission have included a possible microbrewery and a grocery store, among other options.

"I think the product that you're going to offer to Derby is going to be different," mayor Randy White said. "And I'm excited to see a new jewel come to Derby, Kansas."

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                        I guess I don’t understand the market for Amtrak. Costs nearly as much as airfare, but is slower than just driving due to the stops and limited routes.

I do understand the viability for certain highly populated areas. Especially the northeast corridor of the country. But here? Just for fun, I checked around the AAC tourney. As long as I don't mind driving to Newton at 3am, then enduring an 8+ trip with change of train in OKC, and paying for transportation once I get there, then basically having no way back to Newton for a week (at least) and paying $250 a head for the privilege....like you said, who exactly are they catering to?

Even if there's a Wichita station, who will use it? You couldn't find a corporate person to take the train. College students? I suppose best case scenario 300 DFW area students going home 3 or 4 times a school year, if they don't mind the price. The Amtrak site itself is actually as useless as you'd expect a government subsidized site to be...it's not user friendly, AT ALL, certainly not compared to say United Airlines. Imagine that..private sector doing a better job.

I would find it hard to believe that more than a dozen people outside largely populated commuter destinations would willingly take the train for anything other than nostalgia or something crazy, like fear.

Comment

• Local company gets large investment from national chain.

WBJ - Chipotle invests in a Cheney agricultural startup called Greenfield Robotics

Chipotle invested $50 million into a Wichita-area agricultural startup that makes robots to cut down weeds.

Cultivate Next, the investment arm of the global food chain Chipotle Mexican Grill (NYSE: CMG), last week announced its investment in Greenfield Robotics, a company headquartered on a farm in Cheney.

"It's exciting to get the investment from them," said Clint Brauer, founder of Greenfield Robotics. "They're extremely advanced in the way they think about their supply chains and the way they do things."

The agricultural tech company manufactures small machines that go between the rows of crops on broadacre farms — considered wheat, soy and barley crops — and cuts into the soil, tearing up weeds. By eliminating weeds by machine, farmers aim to limit the use of pesticides and its number of employees. The robots are powered from outside the crop's perimeter and work either during daylight or nighttime, making them versatile to a farmer's schedule.
                          I know nothing about farming, but I could see where something like this would have the potential to cut costs and lower the need for chemicals to be used.

"The work of Greenfield Robotics to build out a tech forward alternative to herbicides plays an important role in ensuring a more sustainable future for the agricultural industry," said Erin Wolfold, vice president of external communications for Chipotle, in an email. "We will help Greenfield Robotics scale their robotic offerings and explore how their robots can be deployed on farms within our supply chain."

With about 110,000 employees and more than 3,300 restaurants, Chipotle has eateries in Canada, France, Germany the United Kingdom and the U.S.

Chipotle, through its Cultivate Next venture fund, plans to use artificial intelligence, robotics and sensing technologies to make regenerative farming more efficient, cost-effective and sustainable. The intention is to increase soil health and help with water retention.

Chipotle said the $50-million investment will help Greenfield continue its efforts to build out its fleet of agricultural robots and develop additional capabilities such as micro-spraying, cover crop planting and soil testing.
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• NBC New York - Wichita, Kansas is the most affordable U.S. city for single renters, according to new report

In December, RentHop released its third annual Singles Index ranking the most and least affordable U.S. cities for single renters which calculates the housing burden in the largest cities in the country.

The report ranked the cities using the following statistics:
                            1. Median non-family household income from the U.S. Census
                            2. Median advertised prices for the "studio" unit type via RentHop data
                            3. Year-over-year price changes for the "studio" unit type based on RentHop data
                            4. Population count by city from the U.S. Census
                            The most affordable U.S. city for single renters: Wichita

Wichita, Kansas, ranked as the most affordable city with a median studio rent of $565 per month. With a median nonfamily income of $38,412, a single renter can expect to spend just 17.65% of their annual income on rent, according to RentHop.
                            New York's median studio rent for comparison is $3,308.
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• I Heart Dogs - Traveling With Your Dog to Wichita, Kansas: Pet-Friendly Flights, Hotels, Activities and More

Wichita, Kansas, is a welcoming destination for travelers with dogs, offering a blend of urban amenities and outdoor adventures. Explore the city’s dog-friendly parks like Sedgwick County Park, where your furry friend can romp and play off-leash in designated areas. Additionally, enjoy the scenic Arkansas River Trail, perfect for leisurely walks with stunning riverfront views. Wichita’s pet-friendly cafes and breweries, like Central Standard Brewing, provide a warm atmosphere where you and your pup can relax and socialize. With its pet-friendly accommodations and a range of canine-centric activities, Wichita promises a memorable getaway for dog-loving travelers.

Venture into Wichita’s vibrant downtown, where the Old Town district boasts pet-friendly shops and eateries, making it an ideal spot to stroll with your dog. The city’s numerous dog-friendly hotels, such as Hotel at Old Town, ensure a comfortable stay for you and your four-legged companion. Whether you’re exploring the city’s cultural attractions or enjoying its natural beauty, Wichita offers a pet-friendly experience that will leave tails wagging and memories to cherish.
                              Some nice info within and getting Wichita promoted from any source is a good thing.
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                                I Heart Dogs - Traveling With Your Dog to Wichita, Kansas: Pet-Friendly Flights, Hotels, Activities and More

Some nice info within and getting Wichita promoted from any source is a good thing.
                                Detroit surprises me. I’d think they’d have less demand and increasing inventory. The city is Detroit is a dump. Decent airport though. (Sorry… meant to quote the NY article)

Comment

Working...
                                X