Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2022 - Severe Storms (T-Storms and Blizzards)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

I can tell you that you can have any forecast you want on this storm depending on the model you prefer. The prediction at this moment is:

4-6 Inches

low end possibility: 2-4 inches
    High end possibility: 8-10 inches
    Yeah, I'm hearing wildly different predictions from one source to another.
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

It seems to me that predicting snowfall in Kansas has not exactly been or is an exact science.

The ice generally is our biggest issue with winter precipitation and I suspect the forecast for temp and wind chills are not that far off with wind chills of -10 degrees Thursday morning. Wednesday and Thursday will not be pleasant days irrespective of how much snow we get.

Comment

Looks like Wichita and surrounding schools cancelling school for Wednesday - https://www.ksn.com/weather/closings-delays/
        Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Lasso's Neighbor View Post
          Looks like Wichita and surrounding schools cancelling school for Wednesday - https://www.ksn.com/weather/closings-delays/
          I'll still never forget the time they did that and then there was no percipitation of any kind the next day and I believe temps were in the 50s or something. I do know it was a beautiful day.

Guessing that's not the case this time, but I won't forget it.
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

When I was a freshman in high school, our principle slid off the road on the way to school due to a bit of ice. He called off classes that day. We were the only school in the state out that day. He made up for it though, we were the only school in the area in session one day later that winter.....lol.
            Go Shocks!

Comment

The snow is back.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                The snow is back.
                I know, my achy knee predicted it.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOXAAC View Post

I know, my achy knee predicted it.
                  Yes, I have one of those, unfortunately it hurts all the time (at least when I am standing and walking) so I can't really tell. But I have heard those joint barometers work pretty well.

Comment

The snow is back.
                    Amazing how the town shut down for 6 inches of snow.
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Looks like Wichita 259 and other nearby districts are closing on Thursday as well - https://www.kwch.com/2022/02/02/wich...rsday-classes/

WICHITA, Kan. (KWCH) - Wichita Public Schools USD 259 cancelled school for Thursday, Feb. 3 due to anticipated snow accumulation this evening, and the time needed to assure campuses are cleared and safe for staff and students.

Augusta, Renwick, El Dorado and Valley Center have also canceled Thursday classes and we are waiting to hear from other districts in the area.
                      Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Lasso's Neighbor View Post
                        Looks like Wichita 259 and other nearby districts are closing on Thursday as well - https://www.kwch.com/2022/02/02/wich...rsday-classes/
                        lol the rural districts I get, but Wichita?

At least say it’s because of the morning wind chills or something. That’s actually believable.
                        Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

This morning the hourly forecast showed the snow continuing through midnight. Now the forecast is it will be done around 5:00 pm or so. That's a welcome revision. But the cold and wind chills will continue pretty much through Thursday but the winds will start backing off Thursday evening.

The temps Friday morning will be around 4 degrees but the winds will be down to 5 mph so won't feel any colder than today and tomorrow. Plus the sun is supposed to make an appearance on Friday.

By next Friday they are predicting we will be back into the upper 50's.

Update: Now they a forecasting the snow to go to 7:00 or 8:00 pm. LOL.
                          Last edited by 1972Shocker; February 2, 2022, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

lol the rural districts I get, but Wichita?

At least say it’s because of the morning wind chills or something. That’s actually believable.
                            Turn on a police scanner for a few minutes. Nothing but accidents. I don’t know whether that’s a function of weather, infrastructure design, or piss poor driving skills but the police are overwhelmed with crashes.

Comment

Closing the schools today and tomorrow was absolutely the right decision to make. There is no doubt the School Buses would have been running late with the kids in many case stuck out in 0 degree wind chills. Plus right now they have about 1,000 teachers out due to Covid protocols. Not a difficult call at all. I wouldn't be surprised if the Schools just call it a week and say see you all on Monday.

Comment

Closing the schools today and tomorrow was absolutely the right decision to make. There is no doubt the School Buses would have been running late with the kids in many case stuck out in 0 degree wind chills. Plus right now they have about 1,000 teachers out due to Covid protocols. Not a difficult call at all. I wouldn't be surprised if the Schools just call it a week and say see you all on Monday.
                                With so many teachers out, that actually does make a ton of sense to just cancel Friday as well.
                                Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Working...
                                X