K State Athletes show their cancel culture and Snowflake attitude

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K State Athletes show their cancel culture and Snowflake attitude

K State athletes including starting QB Skylar Thompson threatened not to play until the K State administrators enact a policy against racist comments. On the surface, that isn’t a bad policy if comments are threatening,etc.

The racist statement was another K State student on social media congratulated George Floyd for successfully completing a month drug free.

Questions:
    Was the comment nice? No
    Disrespectful? Definitely
    Mean? Yes
    racist? Possibly if one can prove it. He would have had to tell someone his racist intentions and then it would have be a disruption to the university environment.
    https://www.kansas.com/sports/colleg...243834117.html

Originally posted by Shockm View Post
    K State athletes including starting QB Skylar Thompson threatened not to play until the K State administrators enact a policy against racist comments. On the surface, that isn’t a bad policy if comments are threatening,etc.

The racist statement was another K State student on social media congratulated George Floyd for successfully completing a month drug free.

Questions:
    Was the comment nice? No
    Disrespectful? Definitely
    Mean? Yes
    racist? Possibly if one can prove it. He would have had to tell someone his racist intentions and then it would have be a disruption to the university environment.
    https://www.kansas.com/sports/colleg...243834117.html
    I would argue it is already disruptive.

Of course, if a student at every college did this and the athletes threatened not to play, then there would be no sports (or sports with blacks participating at the very least) and no scholarships for those not participating. Kind of a "force your hand" movement by those wishing to disrupt things. I don't believe the schools could legally expel these disruptors without good cause (basically, making a bad spirited joke is probably not grounds). This would also hurt those athletes with professional aspirations along with not getting a higher education. I guess sports at black colleges might flourish assuming the funds are there to support it.

So, it comes down to a "sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me" situation. Are you the bigger person or a little child who's going to hurt yourself? Do you believe in free speech or not? Now that you have free speech yourself, are you willing to shut others up as was done to your forerunners? Are you really that much better than the bigot who held you down for so long in the past? Showing strength in numbers is one thing. Showing strength as a person is another. Respect is not something you get on a piece of paper, it's something that is earned. First, respect for yourself and then, respect by others.

Comment

Hey, I heard David Koresh finally quit smokin........

Comment

I would think a reprimand and probation would be appropriate.

I wouldn’t think a state run school should have the ability to expel a student for speech.
        Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
          I would think a reprimand and probation would be appropriate.

I wouldn’t think a state run school should have the ability to expel a student for speech.
          If you don't think a state run school should have the ability to expel a student for speech then why do you think a reprimand and probation would be appropriate? Why does K State need to to do anything other than say they disagree with the tweet. Does K State really want to go down the road of checking all students social media and expelling them for inappropriate remarks? I agree with you most of the time just not the the reprimand and probation part.

Comment

The issue is that the statement made was not a racist comment. I would have not problem with a student being disciplined for a comment like Kill all N____________. Truly threatening and outrageous racist comments should be disciplined. However, the comments need to be truly racist and threatening. The danger is that comments or arguments against Affirmative Action (for example) will be stated as racist and they are not racist. I'm not sure I trust administrators and students to make these decisions.

Comment

Sometimes I cannot believe what people write on here, maybe some of you should wear the others shoes and see how these comments sting. "basically, making a bad spirited joke is probably not grounds" Really a bad spirited joke, think about it, this is just keeping the hate going.

Comment

I like tasteless humor.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOXJOCK View Post

If you don't think a state run school should have the ability to expel a student for speech then why do you think a reprimand and probation would be appropriate? Why does K State need to to do anything other than say they disagree with the tweet. Does K State really want to go down the road of checking all students social media and expelling them for inappropriate remarks? I agree with you most of the time just not the the reprimand and probation part.
                  I think you could call it out as some level of non-directed harassment if you really wanted to, but I get your point.
                  Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by B1ShockFan View Post
                    Sometimes I cannot believe what people write on here, maybe some of you should wear the others shoes and see how these comments sting. "basically, making a bad spirited joke is probably not grounds" Really a bad spirited joke, think about it, this is just keeping the hate going.
                    Disregard my previous comments. Since it was a joke, they shouldn’t even comment on it. Fair play! He should continue to speak his mind and be allowed to say more!
                    Livin the dream

Comment

In today's day and age, people have to be smarter on social media. Cancel culture is the new norm, I know we're all in the midst of the adjusting to its learning curve, but it's not going away any time soon. Millennials and Gen Z'ers are the future of this country and they all think this way.

My only question, where was the football team's outrage back in 2018 when a black student reported racist graffiti on his car to the Police, only to later retract his story and admit he did it himself as a 'hoax'. This student pulled a Jussie Smollett and nary a peep out of the football team.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/loca...183086416.html

Comment

This comes from a guy that founded a white supremacist group on campus. What would you expect. If athletes want to boycott practice, games, fund raisers for the University that should be a personal decision for them to make. I would think that such decisions would negate their scholarship. This looks to have a lot of ramifications down the road. Good luck

Comment

He started a white supremacist group? Seriously? I ask because it is now said that police are white supremacist groups as well as corporations and republicans. I kinda wants see what group is white supremacist this time.
                          Livin the dream

Comment

Looks like it was the “America First Students” group that supports Trump. All white supremacists I assume. The Black Student Union President said so.
                            Livin the dream

Comment

Free speech is not without consequences. If you choose to exercise your free speech in a way that others feel is threatening, racist, or just distasteful, be prepared to live with the consequences.

If you buy that this was a joke... It is well established that jokes can represent sexual harassment and support termination in the workplace. The intent of the person saying the joke doesn’t matter - if it is reasonably perceived as harassment, it is harassment.

Granted one action probably doesn’t get you fired if you apologize and commit to avoiding similar actions in the future. If you stand up for your right to make others feel unsafe in the workplace on the grounds of free speech, you can and should be canned.

If this kid doesn’t have the decency to recognize that he is in the wrong here, he’s gotta go.

SN is mostly gross recently. I hope that what I’m reading here is a vocal minority and not representative of what our university community stands for.

Comment

Working...
                              X