Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joking is wrong.

Comment

The comment was very much over the top, disrespectful, and tasteless. But those types of comments are made billions of times on BOTH sides EVERY day on social media. And now you have an entire collegiate football team threatening to boycott playing if "change isn't made"? This generation is the softest generation ever to inhabit the earth.

And this is why you keep politics out of sports. Nobody agrees on everything and you likely aren't gonna change minds. It is what it is. And there will definitely be serious consequences down the road. You have large donors that help pay for your scholarship, room, board, etc. that may not agree with the same political things that you do. You better learn to agree to disagree. Canceling and boycotting everything is playing right into the communism playbook. And at least half of this country isn't inline with that philosophy.

On a side note, while Floyd's death was clearly wrong and disgusting, I do find it somewhat odd that he's made out to be a saint and a martyr and to have murals made of him in front of every corner store in Minneapolis. He had an extensive rap sheet and clearly had trouble obeying the law... which ultimately led to the unfortunate incident in the first place.
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I think calling police “pigs” is offensive, distasteful, and threatening.

No consequences.
        Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by shox526 View Post
          Free speech is not without consequences. If you choose to exercise your free speech in a way that others feel is threatening, racist, or just distasteful, be prepared to live with the consequences.

If you buy that this was a joke... It is well established that jokes can represent sexual harassment and support termination in the workplace. The intent of the person saying the joke doesn’t matter - if it is reasonably perceived as harassment, it is harassment.

Granted one action probably doesn’t get you fired if you apologize and commit to avoiding similar actions in the future. If you stand up for your right to make others feel unsafe in the workplace on the grounds of free speech, you can and should be canned.

If this kid doesn’t have the decency to recognize that he is in the wrong here, he’s gotta go.

SN is mostly gross recently. I hope that what I’m reading here is a vocal minority and not representative of what our university community stands for.
          What was threatening about his statement?
          Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
            I think calling police “pigs” is offensive, distasteful, and threatening.

No consequences.
            If you said it as a member of a police organization, I suspect they would kick you out.

Comment

If you said it as a member of a police organization, I suspect they would kick you out.
              Why shouldn’t a university kick them out?

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post

What was threatening about his statement?
                I didn’t say it was.

If your first reaction to this kid isn’t disgust, then I can’t help you. The particulars of what punishments are or are not permissible under the law can be argued I’m sure. But if you feel more compelled to defend him than you do to call out the destructive, incendiary nature of his comments... I hope you are the beneficiary of more empathy in your life than you are apparently capable of.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Why shouldn’t a university kick them out?
                  If you make comments that disrupt the operation of an organization to which you belong, you should expect to no longer be part of that organization.

Comment

Free speech is not without consequences. If you choose to exercise your free speech in a way that others feel is threatening, racist, or just distasteful, be prepared to live with the consequences.

If you buy that this was a joke... It is well established that jokes can represent sexual harassment and support termination in the workplace. The intent of the person saying the joke doesn’t matter - if it is reasonably perceived as harassment, it is harassment.

Granted one action probably doesn’t get you fired if you apologize and commit to avoiding similar actions in the future. If you stand up for your right to make others feel unsafe in the workplace on the grounds of free speech, you can and should be canned.

If this kid doesn’t have the decency to recognize that he is in the wrong here, he’s gotta go.

SN is mostly gross recently. I hope that what I’m reading here is a vocal minority and not representative of what our university community stands for.
                    It sounds like you are saying everyone should agree. If you disagree and say something publicly, be prepared to live with consequences. If what you say is perceived as harassment, you’ve gotta go.

Comment

If you make comments that disrupt the operation of an organization to which you belong, you should expect to no longer be part of that organization.
                      A university isn’t a CLUB with club membership. It is there to educate. A philosophy class should be about a range of views and disagreement of views. That subject isn’t about laws and absolutes. I think you have no clue what a university is about.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

It sounds like you are saying everyone should agree. If you disagree and say something publicly, be prepared to live with consequences. If what you say is perceived as harassment, you’ve gotta go.

If what I said made you think that, I wasn’t clear. My point was that IF he doesn’t have the sense to apologize, he’s gotta go.

Our society needs more empathy. I am realizing that SN is the wrong place to look for it.

Comment

If what I said made you think that, I wasn’t clear. My point was that IF he doesn’t have the sense to apologize, he’s gotta go.

Our society needs more empathy. I am realizing that SN is the wrong place to look for it.
                          I think you should apologize for that remark or be banned

Comment

What the guy said was mean. Maybe he should be a good person and turn around his statement by apologizing. However, he shouldn’t be expelled from a public university that all of our taxes help pay for because he was mean.

Comment

First time I have allowed myself to get into a political debate on SN. I regret it.

At a minimum I hope we can all agree that the comments served no positive purpose and that there is no place for them in a civil society.

Comment

First time I have allowed myself to get into a political debate on SN. I regret it.

At a minimum I hope we can all agree that the comments served no positive purpose and that there is no place for them in a civil society.
                                I'm not sure everyone on here would agree with you, but I do. Not only that, if it was my kid that posted that kind of stuff that started all this, Kansas State woudn't have to worry about it, I'd already have my foot about halfway up his butt.

Just about the first thing I would do is to get a list of charitable organizations and find the hottest, nastiest job, then I'd make sure he volunteered and showed up. About two weeks in the heat and dirt would probably do wonders for his entitled attitude Then, I'd make him apologize to the entire community for being such a douche'.

He needs to have his entitlement driven out of him and replaced with feelings of gratitude. When you're grateful to have something, rather than think you are entited to it, it does make a lot of difference in how you view things.
                                Last edited by revenge_of_shocka_khan; June 28, 2020, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X