No announcement yet.

Bicycle riding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I only got 21.75 today, wanted to do more, but I'm putting my house up for sale in Houston and wanted to get it fumigated against COVID, Jerks only want cash/check, had to paypal money. That created some level of distraction/coordination, don't want to elaborate, but I bet you'd get it (renter).

Why can't vendors just tack on an extra 5% for credit cards? I'd gladly pay an 'aggrevation fee'.....I get that they are in high demand these days.

Will post some pictures of the Saharan dust. It's heavy here today, but it was ridiculous in Houston yesterday, only had minor problems (one coughing fit), but I kept away from a strenuous workout, kept my HR average at 140 for the hour and a half I was riding.

Good news is that someone wants to see the house today. Perhaps an omen of good luck?
    Last edited by revenge_of_shocka_khan; June 27, 2020, 02:53 PM.

Comment

• This is why I was asking you guys about whether you had heard about this up there. Seems like the way this one moved in, the further east you go, the thicker it is getting.....to a point. It's not that bad here, but it is a brownish haze and you can definitely see it. Also keeping the temperature down, which helped me get my ride in. It also seems like once it hits a land mass it loses some of its intensity.

https://www.kvue.com/article/weather...a-3cabce20925b

saharan dust.png
      And since it's hard to see this picture, here's a ink to Houston Transtar and a better shot:
      https://twitter.com/houstontranstar/...674496/photo/1
      Last edited by revenge_of_shocka_khan; June 27, 2020, 02:57 PM.

Comment

• Clear as a bell in Omaha. No Saharan Desert. We do have protesters that can't spell, though.
        20200623_090043.jpg
        There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Got 20 in yesterday. Launched at 6:30 am and found this to be an exceptional time to ride. Rode the K96 path and never had to get off the bike to stop for traffic (which those that ride the path will know that is rare indeed!). Nice to be on the road home by 8:30 before the 95 degree heat and 20 mph winds really kicked up.

Comment

• Originally posted by MadDog View Post
            Got 20 in yesterday. Launched at 6:30 am and found this to be an exceptional time to ride. Rode the K96 path and never had to get off the bike to stop for traffic (which those that ride the path will know that is rare indeed!). Nice to be on the road home by 8:30 before the 95 degree heat and 20 mph winds really kicked up.
            I'm really taking a liking to riding at night. Less traffic on the trails, no kids on training wheels, less wind and heat. I'm beginning to ride some bike lanes on streets. I've always avoided them in the past, as I don't want to end up as roadkill, but the more I do it, the more comfortable I've gotten.

I often ride at 7am on Saturdays, but I draw the line at 6:30. Too damned early.
            There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Somebody in Wichita should sack up and ride through your old town and downtown entertainment districts at night. Take pictures. I'm telling you, I did it up here the other night and it was big, big fun!

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post

I'm really taking a liking to riding at night. Less traffic on the trails, no kids on training wheels, less wind and heat. I'm beginning to ride some bike lanes on streets. I've always avoided them in the past, as I don't want to end up as roadkill, but the more I do it, the more comfortable I've gotten.

I often ride at 7am on Saturdays, but I draw the line at 6:30. Too damned early.
                Your biking habits must play hell with you never getting less than 12 hours of sleep. Or can that 12 hours be over more than one day?

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

Your biking habits must play hell with you never getting less than 12 hours of sleep. Or can that 12 hours be over more than one day?
                  I take lots of naps.

Comment

• 25.5 miles today, first time over 100 in about 15 years (106).

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
                      Clear as a bell in Omaha. No Saharan Desert. We do have protesters that can't spell, though.
                      20200623_090043.jpg
                      I kin spel gud.......:)

Comment

• So good to be back on the bike after 3 days off (driving moving van from OK.) Thursday had fast fast ride out east to check out work along railroad corridor near 127th street east. I'm really hoping this is work to finish some rails to (paved path) trails for us road bicyclists. I'm hoping its not just some sort of draining improvements for the area. Can anyone in the area confirm? Wanted to get out there quickly and road city streets (which I don't usually do). First 6 miles or so was an almost 19.5 MPH average. Fun times. Took it easy for much of the rest of the ride but still got 28 miles in. The way back through Eastborough I noticed this (see photo) where some doofus ran his car into the (east side) Eastborough sign. That could have been a cyclist. CYCLIST LIVES MATTER. Especiially mine. Now its back to safe riding for me again, back off the streets and onto more secure and safe areas. Monday another fast ride in neighborhood areas and safe bike paths where available. There are lots of stop signs and maor street crossings, but I still managed almost 9 miles in 31.5 minutes. (had to work late and make dinner and didn't get to ride until late in the evening - so short ride.)

Comment

• Drug my butt out of bed At 5:30 am so I could get my 20 miles in this morning before it got too hot. Unfortunately it was already plenty hot and windy even at that time of the morning. JVShocker, I was on the K96 path and glanced over towards the bike path work you described. I could be mistaken, but it looked like there was a very nice new bridge going in on what would be the extension the Redbud path. I may do the same ride tomorrow and detour over there to get a better look. I’ll try to snap a picture if I can.

Comment

• 20.6 miles today. Slow-Moderate pace and then the last 3 miles were very slow, easy and relaxed. Crossed the 1,900 miles point (1901) from the battery reset of my cyclometer from last fall (October). Should cross 2,000 by Saturday-Sunday (weather permitting).

Comment

• 22.6 miles/16 mph yesterday. My Polar finally gave out, ordered a new Vantage M https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/polar-vantage-m. Did not want to buy another 600, I'm thinking that they will discontinue this model soon (reviews are four years old). I had to rely on my Strava application to track my ride. I had noticed the Polar seems to 'cap' at about 23 mph, so I was wondering if it underreported my distance (primarily because if I got over 23 I was figuring that it just quit tracking) and Strava seemed to confirm that. On the other hand, Strava said my max speed was 46.5 mph, I'm not sure that is correct, and if it was, it would have been downhill and/or with the wind. However my speed graph seemed to show I spent a lot of time at or above 20, with dips down to around 10 for the hills so I know it was a fast ride.

Trying for a similar distance today.

I will be packing up my folder to take to Houston for the long weekend, it's my understanding that the Hershey Park trails are still somewhat bicycle friendly.. I'll load pictures of my folding bike at lunch or this evening, and may take some pics of Buffalo Bayou (I don't usually stop when I'm riding, so we'll see on that, not only that, my turn-around point is at Barker Dam, so not much of a chance for pictures of trees and water - just prairie grass and a berm.

Comment

• image_7344.jpg20200701_071758.jpg

This is the bike. I have MTB clipless pedals,
                                it's a little slow, but I love this bike because it's easy to take anywhere. Just load it up in the hatchback. I put a frame for panniers on it, too, as you can see.

I'm not too happy with the Dahon panniers, would prefer to upgrade those, they dont carry much. I found a solution from a German company, but they ate $200 a pair, so I'm waiting until I really need them.

New brake calipers in the pic on the right, of course.

Comment

Working...
                                X