Bicycle riding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm not very fast since the covid.
    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Can you quantity “not very fast”? 18 or 19 mph?

Comment

• Rode 29 on the new bike this morning doing the tour of Andover. Visited that wonderful new section of pavement on the Redbud west of 159th. Looks to me like they should be able to finish the pavement to 143rd in short order. They have 3/4 of that mile complete. Also visited the bridge work west of 143rd. Long way to go as JV noted. What I found interesting was the number of people out on that very unfinished path leading to the bridge. Bikers, walkers, families with small kids and baby carriages. Apparently there is a lot of demand to get those three miles of path paved.

Also rode the entire Redbud to the eastern end. Riding on the crushed limestone on my road bike I was doing 12-13 mph. On the gravel bike easily doing 15.

A couple more impressions of the new bike.... first, at least the way I ride, it’s every bit as fast as my road bike on streets and bike paths, and probably faster on the paths as you don’t have to worry near as much about FOD and what is lurking around the next blind turn, as the hydraulic disk brakes seem to be far superior to the mechanical disk brakes I have on the road bike.

The other thing I noted was just how much easier the new bike is to ride. This is borne out on my Fitbit stats. I’m seeing about a 10 beats per minute decrease in heart rate over the same ride with the road bike. The downside to that, of course, is less calories burned.

So JV, I think you need to strike a grand bargain with your wife. I’d start off with the safety angle and show her that little video clip of that guy wiping out in that bike race you previously posted. That’s exactly how I wiped out earlier this year. Those smaller higher inflated tires can take you down with no advanced warning. Then the second part of the bargain is to tell her you will sell your road bike to help pay for the new bike. My new bike is so much better than the old road bike that I’m having a hard time imagining riding the old bike again.

Comment

• Originally posted by MadDog View Post
          Rode 29 on the new bike this morning doing the tour of Andover. Visited that wonderful new section of pavement on the Redbud west of 159th. Looks to me like they should be able to finish the pavement to 143rd in short order. They have 3/4 of that mile complete. Also visited the bridge work west of 143rd. Long way to go as JV noted. What I found interesting was the number of people out on that very unfinished path leading to the bridge. Bikers, walkers, families with small kids and baby carriages. Apparently there is a lot of demand to get those three miles of path paved.

Also rode the entire Redbud to the eastern end. Riding on the crushed limestone on my road bike I was doing 12-13 mph. On the gravel bike easily doing 15.

A couple more impressions of the new bike.... first, at least the way I ride, it’s every bit as fast as my road bike on streets and bike paths, and probably faster on the paths as you don’t have to worry near as much about FOD and what is lurking around the next blind turn, as the hydraulic disk brakes seem to be far superior to the mechanical disk brakes I have on the road bike.

The other thing I noted was just how much easier the new bike is to ride. This is borne out on my Fitbit stats. I’m seeing about a 10 beats per minute decrease in heart rate over the same ride with the road bike. The downside to that, of course, is less calories burned.

So JV, I think you need to strike a grand bargain with your wife. I’d start off with the safety angle and show her that little video clip of that guy wiping out in that bike race you previously posted. That’s exactly how I wiped out earlier this year. Those smaller higher inflated tires can take you down with no advanced warning. Then the second part of the bargain is to tell her you will sell your road bike to help pay for the new bike. My new bike is so much better than the old road bike that I’m having a hard time imagining riding the old bike again.
          Never sell a bike. Horde it.
          There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Reason #11 Riding with your wife can kinda suck.
            Rode the Godforsken MoPac today. Regardless of anything else, why can't women just get out of the truck, grab their bike and ride? F@#k... I got both bikes off the rack, put the water bottles in the cages, mounted her God Damned Garmin and waited. And waited. Finally, I just started riding slow circles in the parking lot. It's a big lot. Here is a zoomed in picture of the map with me riding friggin' circles. They were slow circles, too.
            Screenshot_20200823-155954_MapMyRide.jpg

Comment

• LMAO
              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Did not go bicycling this AM. Instead I talked the wife into the late night bike ride. Gotta start somewhere, right? A simple 11.5 mile ride in the dark, almost an hour, so nothing for me to write home to MVJ about. Got her a light and tail light. Sharing a photo of one of the parks.

Wife had this to say: "It was another thing we can do when it gets dark out, AND we get to keep our clothes on."

Oh, and that little circle of MVJ riding in a circle before the ride started, I had the same issue when I posted the distance around Sedg County Park. Someone (Maddog?) corrected my distance, but if you recall, I added to my post later saying "the wife wasn't quite ready so I was circling around in the parking lot waiting. That's why our two measured distances around the park were different."

Its the old joke that everyone knows: MVJ and wife are going on a bike ride. They want to leave on the ride at 8am sharp. At what time does wife have to get up in the AM and get her spit together so she can be at the start at 8am? Answer: It doesn't matter what time the start is or what time she gets up, she's going to be running about 5-10 minutes late.

Comment

• Originally posted by MadDog View Post
                  Rode 29 on the new bike this morning doing the tour of Andover. Visited that wonderful new section of pavement on the Redbud west of 159th. Looks to me like they should be able to finish the pavement to 143rd in short order. They have 3/4 of that mile complete. Also visited the bridge work west of 143rd. Long way to go as JV noted. What I found interesting was the number of people out on that very unfinished path leading to the bridge. Bikers, walkers, families with small kids and baby carriages. Apparently there is a lot of demand to get those three miles of path paved.

Nice to hear you got your new bike (finally). It's always nice to get a new bike. You will probably ride more, further and faster at least for a little while.

I had an interesting weekend.....by LBS cleaned up. Picked the folder up on Saturday and went out for the ride on Sunday and realized I had a problem with one of my shoes and had to cancel the morning ride to get over there and buy a new pair of shoes.

Comment

• In spite of all my problems, I barely got my 100 miles in last week. I've been really busy lately, that will probably extend into this week, so I may not be lurking as much as usual.

Comment

• Originally posted by JVShocker View Post
                      Did not go bicycling this AM. Instead I talked the wife into the late night bike ride. Gotta start somewhere, right? A simple 11.5 mile ride in the dark, almost an hour, so nothing for me to write home to MVJ about. Got her a light and tail light. Sharing a photo of one of the parks.

Wife had this to say: "It was another thing we can do when it gets dark out, AND we get to keep our clothes on."

Oh, and that little circle of MVJ riding in a circle before the ride started, I had the same issue when I posted the distance around Sedg County Park. Someone (Maddog?) corrected my distance, but if you recall, I added to my post later saying "the wife wasn't quite ready so I was circling around in the parking lot waiting. That's why our two measured distances around the park were different."

Its the old joke that everyone knows: MVJ and wife are going on a bike ride. They want to leave on the ride at 8am sharp. At what time does wife have to get up in the AM and get her spit together so she can be at the start at 8am? Answer: It doesn't matter what time the start is or what time she gets up, she's going to be running about 5-10 minutes late.
                      It's getting to be that time of year. I decided to not take my lights last night, left about 6:50 and had to cut my ride a little short because the days are getting shorter. I'm taking the day off today, so everything will be getting charged. I need to buy another light, hopefully I can find one online.....

Comment

• Originally posted by revenge_of_shocka_khan View Post

It's getting to be that time of year. I decided to not take my lights last night, left about 6:50 and had to cut my ride a little short because the days are getting shorter. I'm taking the day off today, so everything will be getting charged. I need to buy another light, hopefully I can find one online.....
                        Screenshot_20200824-164912_Samsung Internet.jpg

Comment

• MVJ - That light. Wow. Its like high school all over again.

Comment

• Bell makes a pretty good (inexpensive) USB rechargeable light (about $25). Target.

Comment

• Oh, and 24 miles tonight. Crappy day at work so was NOT in the mood to do anything, but felt much better. Super easy ride. 1 hr 50 min. Redbud trail in the dark is one of our favorite rides. I kind of hope they never install llighting.

Comment

• 33 for me this morning. Checked out the new bike path connecting Derby and Mulvane. That stretch of path is kind of hilly for these parts if that’s your thing.

Comment

Working...
                                X