No announcement yet.

Bicycle riding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks, I hope it never happens to me, but when you can smell them, they are close by and you could have an accidental encounter with them.

Comment

• Originally posted by revenge_of_shocka_khan View Post

I have been smelling one the last couple of days. Wish it would move out. We seem to have a lot of foxes, owls and, believe it or not, feral hog problems (periodically, at least according to NextDoor).

So if you have a chance encounter, what do you use to get the smell out of your clothes (and your skin)?
      One of my schnauzers was a skunk chaser; we always had success using tomato juice.... I still miss that 'yappin' pooch.
      "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Hey JV, how about some pictures of the cool new biking stuff? As MVJ would say... it didn’t happen if you don’t have pictures!

And no worries, I’m not getting rid of the other bike. I keep it as a hot spare and also hold onto it around in the rare event one of my boys would show up in town when the weather was decent enough to ride.

As for skunks, it seems like I’m always having encounters. I’ve come to understand one thing skunks really like to eat is skink lizards. Some skinks live in my outbuilding and one skunk and I have had a three year battle to keep the skunk out. Finally, this year with a strategically placed rock under the door, I won! So yes, I am smarter than a skunk!

Comment

• Beautiful Saturday morning for bicycling. Super relaxed fun day of exploring Old Town and the River Path out to the spillway and further north towards 29th street north and back. Of course that meant riding back south INTO the wind, not ideal, but was it sure nice out. 23.5 miles in 2 hrs 10 minutes. Took probably 40-50 photos while pedaling and am sharing some of them. Wife was particularly fond of the girl walking and how I managed to stay upright on the bike while taking the photo. Have to take one for her next time. Fall is definitely in the air (check out the colors on that tree), and will be here next week (again.) Lots of people on the paths, bicycling, skateboarding, walking, people on the river.....nice to get out and see people out enjoying things. Picked up some cheapo generic handlebar (padded) grips last night to go with the new gloves. Replaced the crappy foam pads that were standard with the bike, like, 20 years ago. Hope everyone else is enjoying this weather (mid upper 70s to low 80s).

Comment

• How windy was it? It was blowing 17-24 mph from the south when I rode this afternoon. Peddling into that was a nightmare. I think there was more gusts.... riding early morning, church, then the gym. Got almost 150 this week, I want as much or more next. Temps are ideal.

20200927_000738.jpg
            There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Saturday the wind was pouring out of the south at 15-20. You can see it in the last photo of the river. So at lunch time today, check radar, looks OK, we head out on a bike ride. Front has stalled a bit over the area, maybe it will pass through later today. Temperature was fairly mild, maybe upper 60s-low 70s and humid so it felt nice. About 4.5 miles into the ride something happened. The wind started blowing fierce out of the north and east, and then it started raining. So yep, we got caught in a short downpour and were completely soaked in a 3 minute span almost 5 miles from home. The cold wind picked up chilling the body even more, so we headed home. And as I look outside now, its windy, fairly cool (which is manageable) and dry out now. Short but memorable ride.

Comment

• Rode an easy 20 with my wife this morning. Little wind at all, but drizzling the whole time. The rain never was a factor except my clothes were drenched. In England, they'd call what I wear a kit, but I digress.

On another note, my front brake pads are shot. Very noticeable squeal. On to the LBS to see if they have pads in stock. I've never diy changed my pads, but I'm giving it a shot. shot that can go wrong is I mess everything up. No big deal.
                There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
                  Rode an easy 20 with my wife this morning. Little wind at all, but drizzling the whole time. The rain never was a factor except my clothes were drenched. In England, they'd call what I wear a kit, but I digress.

On another note, my front brake pads are shot. Very noticeable squeal. On to the LBS to see if they have pads in stock. I've never diy changed my pads, but I'm giving it a shot. shot that can go wrong is I mess everything up. No big deal.
                  thought you had disc?

Comment

• Originally posted by JVShocker View Post

thought you had disc?
                    I do. The pads are squeeling. Loudly and only in the front. I'm changing them today if the LBS has a set on hand. I know how to change rim brakes, never changed disc. I'll get it done and will have learned one more thing. I'm surprised they only lasted one season but I've put a lot of miles on the bike and ridden it hard, so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised.

Comment

• I was just reading and found out disc brakes are only good for around 1,200 or so miles. I'm well beyond that, so I'll go ahead and change both the front and back. I guess pads are cheap, too. I have a 1030 with my personal trainer, the LBS doesnt open until 1100, so I'll do them this afternoon.

I have very little on the plate this week, my wife is off tomorrow and wants to do 60. My wife is really starting to embrace long rides. Her speed has picked up as well. I may have created a monster.

Comment

• Comment

• Is the attached Trek a men's or women's bike?
                          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                          This gallery has 1 photos.
                          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• If the size is correct or feels good to you, ride it. Looks like a mtn bike to me. Lots of videos on Youtube to see that it isn't a complete incorrect size.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
                              I was just reading and found out disc brakes are only good for around 1,200 or so miles. I'm well beyond that, so I'll go ahead and change both the front and back. I guess pads are cheap, too. I have a 1030 with my personal trainer, the LBS doesnt open until 1100, so I'll do them this afternoon.

I have very little on the plate this week, my wife is off tomorrow and wants to do 60. My wife is really starting to embrace long rides. Her speed has picked up as well. I may have created a monster.
                              I have Ultegra and I've put about 2500 miles on mine, but I don't go off-road.

Congrats on getting your better half out on a bike. More mileage = faster speeds. Probably the best way to increase speed there is (it may not increase the intensity, though). When you ride a lot of miles, you naturally become a better grinder and that helps you push the more aggressive gears (and make you faster without a corresponding increase in HR).

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                                Is the attached Trek a men's or women's bike?
                                Trek sells by cm. My wife bought a Trek, same model men use, but in her size.

Comment

Working...
                                X