Bicycle riding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Napoleon Dynamite View Post

Erythritol side effects typically include digestive problems and diarrhea. It may also cause bloating, cramps, and gas. Additionally, erythritol and other sugar alcohols frequently result in more water in the intestines, causing diarrhea. Nausea and headaches may occur as well. The latter symptom is often a result of excessive diarrhea because the body is dehydrated.

In other words. Science.
    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by MoValley John View Post

In other words. Science.
      Laughter actually burns calories. According to recent studies, you can burn between 10 and 40 calories by laughing for 15 minutes. In layman’s terms, this means you would have to laugh for about an hour and a half straight to work off a doughnut.

Comment

Originally posted by Napoleon Dynamite View Post

Laughter actually burns calories. According to recent studies, you can burn between 10 and 40 calories by laughing for 15 minutes. In layman’s terms, this means you would have to laugh for about an hour and a half straight to work off a doughnut.
        Then you could lose a shitload of weight reading phog.net. If you want to lose even more, read Rupp Rafters after a Kentucky loss. That will work off about a dozen apple fritters. And I mean the big apple fritters!
        There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Then you could lose a shitload of weight reading phog.net. If you want to lose even more, read Rupp Rafters after a Kentucky loss. That will work off about a dozen apple fritters. And I mean the big apple fritters!
          That's a doughnut-hole.right there.

Comment

Finally got to go bike riding. Out of town over weekend. Had to work late and had to p/u groceries by 8pm. I'm so jealous of you types that have quick easy routes to a decent bike path. I ride a "time trial" that I have mapped out in the area. 9 miles. Its my "go to" ride when I'm short on time. Its a challenging route that undulates short ups and downs. Lots of stop signs and lots of turns. 33:55 Still managed to get home, shower and pick up the food by 7:56 pm.

Comment

Originally posted by JVShocker View Post
              Finally got to go bike riding. Out of town over weekend. Had to work late and had to p/u groceries by 8pm. I'm so jealous of you types that have quick easy routes to a decent bike path. I ride a "time trial" that I have mapped out in the area. 9 miles. Its my "go to" ride when I'm short on time. Its a challenging route that undulates short ups and downs. Lots of stop signs and lots of turns. 33:55 Still managed to get home, shower and pick up the food by 7:56 pm.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

I used to run, until I hurt my knee playing volleyball a couple of years ago. Now I can only go a couple of miles until my knee says "no more". So when I go to the gym for cardio it's usually on one of the bikes. I have thought about taking up cycling to get my fix.

I don't want to use my old mountain bike, as most of my riding would be on paved county roads. Does anyone here ride a hybrid with more of a "road" tire, instead of all-terrain?

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                  I used to run, until I hurt my knee playing volleyball a couple of years ago. Now I can only go a couple of miles until my knee says "no more". So when I go to the gym for cardio it's usually on one of the bikes. I have thought about taking up cycling to get my fix.

I don't want to use my old mountain bike, as most of my riding would be on paved county roads. Does anyone here ride a hybrid with more of a "road" tire, instead of all-terrain?
                  Here's a nice one. Not too expensive, less than $1000. 25 lbs. Trek makes a similar hybrid bike (the Verve) that's a little less expensive, but Tomasso makes 'em look pretty cool. A lot to think about. Tubeless? Disc brakes?

Comment

Here's a nice one. Not too expensive, less than $1000. 25 lbs. Trek makes a similar hybrid bike (the Verve) that's a little less expensive, but Tomasso makes 'em look pretty cool. A lot to think about. Tubeless? Disc brakes?

I like that bike... I like it a lot.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Nice! I ride a Giant Toughroad, $1350. Hydro discs, tubeless, carbon seat post and forks. The bike comes with nobbies, so the first thing I did was trade them for narrower tires. Being a hybrid, it's not as fast as a road bike, but its comfortable as anything. If your goal isnt being the fastest on the bike path, there are hundreds of models in all price ranges. A decent commuter bike is a good place to start looking. The Trek FX Stagger is under $500. Great basic bike to start.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post

I have a gravel bike (also called a cyclocross bike, tourning bike - both are very similar and I think that is what is in the picture). My second one. Both high-end. One I now have has baloon tires and the old one with skinnier tires (just wider than a road bike tire). I'm thinking I might be a little faster if I changed out for skinnier rims, but seems like there are studies out there that say no.

I bought the frame on Ebay (to save a little money). It's a Lynskey, built by a guy who used to work for LiteSpeed and who built Lance Armstrong's bike when he won the downhill mountain bike championships years ago.

You will like a cross bike, you can take it off road (good for country roads and beginner mountain bike trails) but also get it out on the road for touring or long rides. The one in the picture has mountain bike bars, like MoValleyJohn has. The mechanics of that set up are good if you're old and don't like to be all scrunched up when you ride. Since I prefer a little more aggressive ride, I put ram's horns on mine. Your back is more bent over and you are a little more slippery from an aero standpoint.

That one also comes without pedals, I would recommend cleats get MTB cleats and pedals. My mountain bike has downhill racing pedals, which have a large platform that allows you to ride it without the shoes if you don't have them with you. Many MTB shoes have the cleats recessed, which I like better if I'm walking around after my ride. Plus I like the price. If you're just dipping your toes into bicycling, better to buy a reasonably priced and nicely equipped bicycle as opposed to buying something expensive, especially if you decide you don't like to ride it. My first bike I built like that sold for about 25% of what it cost me to build. When I buy a bike, I know I am going to put a lot of miles on it and I'm not necessarily thinking about selling at some future point.

One last point, if you use it for commuting, it has a chain guard, which 'should' keep you from getting grease on your pants in the event you want to ride it to work.
                        Last edited by revenge_of_shocka_khan; June 9, 2020, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by revenge_of_shocka_khan View Post

I have a gravel bike (also called a cyclocross bike). Both high-end. One had baloon tires and one with skinnier tires (just wider than a road bike tire). I'm thinking I might be a little faster if I changed out for skinnier rims, but seems like there are studies out there that say no.
                          I've read the studies, I got skinnier and went a lot faster. Feel the bumps a lot more, though. Since I started biking, I've found it no different then any other hobby, tons of opinions, not a lot of absolutes. Just talk to two different duck hunters on the proper way to lay out a decoy spread.

With that, I say find what works for you and enjoy it. My one piece of advise, buy and wear (ala commando) biking shorts. And for longer rides use the ass salve. I always thought seeing people out riding bikes in their spandex bike shorts were just being douchebags; they were in fact, protecting the goods.

Comment

This is my ride, a midlevel gravel bike with a few mods.
                            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                            This gallery has 1 photos.
                            Last edited by MoValley John; June 9, 2020, 03:35 PM.

Comment

This is the difference in tires size that came stock and I bought. I had the stock tires on for one hour, found them sluggish. If we were in Great Britain, we'd call them tyres. I think there's something nafarious going on across the pond.
                              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                              This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

This is the difference in tires size that came stock and I bought. I had the stock tires on for one hour, found them sluggish. If we were in Great Britain, we'd call them tyres. I think there's something nafarious going on across the pond.
                                Similar to the ones I have on mine. I don't like knobbies unless I'm going off road. And mine are 700C.

Comment

Working...
                                X