Bicycle riding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MadDog View Post
    So about 2 1/2 weeks ago BP told me based on what was showing in their system that it would be a Jan 2021 delivery, “but a lot of times they come earlier”. They also told me they would get with their sales rep To see what could be done and get back to me. After a week I had not heard anything so I went back to BP to find out what the sales rep said. BP looked up my bike again and this time it was showing late October. Still no good. I grumbled some more and they looked up one other screen and low and behold there was my name, and the bike had a FedEx Ground ticket assigned. Now I ain’t too smart, but smart enough to know that if there is a FedEx Ground ticket, the bikes not in Taiwan any more. BP called me a few days later when I was in Colorado and my bike was waiting on me when I got home.

I don’t know if it was me dogging them, or if I just got lucky, but I guess it was my day :)

And no worries JV, both bikes are locked up every night.

Its a case of squeaky wheel syndrome.

Never made sense to me that dozens of bike shops across the country were getting shipments of this bike NOW through 2nd week of September yet you had to wait till January??

Comment

• Thought this one was funny....

Comment

• Originally posted by JVShocker View Post
        Thought this one was funny....

That policeman could play in the NFL...
        "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• I am still loving the mtn bike. Went out for 30.5 miles tonight 2 hrs 15 minutes. Hit the Redbud trail tonight. My first trip east of Andover, KS. I'm like halfway on my way to Augusta, KS, and finally decided crap, I need to go home! Made it home at 9:30. LOVE the trail. Can't wait to make the trip to Augusta for lunch or something. News to report on the trail. The trail will not be paved by Labor Day. I know they have road closure signs up on the trail, but I rode it in the dark anyway. One of the segments is partially paved (finally) out east between K96 and Andover (proper). It was pitch black without the light and they had boards laid out across some of the path, but it was easy to navigate and once you got past the boards it was smooth paved sailing (even on a mtbike). There is actually a stretch (paved) that road bicyclists could easily touch 30-35 mph on traveling west (as it goes downhill).

That was the good news. The bad news is I rode through the closure signs headin west it became not so good. At some point I'm riding through rock/sand mixture (?) and almost end up walking. There is one bridge that has yet to be constructed and there is a lot of buildup that looks like they have yet to even START. I'm guessing next spring before they get finished (paved) (with what I saw in the dark). They have a LOT of work to do. I'll try and take a good camera and get some pics Saturday/Sunday.

Loving the nighttime bicycling, too.

Comment

• Got in a little over 30 on the new gravel bike this morning. We rode streets and parts of the Redbud and K96 paths. The new bike is awesome and I’m questioning whether I’ll ever ride the old road bike anymore. The bike handles great. No more worrying about wiping out when hitting loose sand, cracks in the asphalt, small rocks and twigs and other loose impediments. It’s also considerably more comfortable to ride with the wider tires at 40 psi, and the FutureShock handlebar suspension system absorbing some of the beating from crummy asphalt roads. As a result my hands didn’t fall asleep and I wasn’t having to drop down to the lower bars as much to keep them comfortable. At the end of the ride there was no sense of feeling “beat up” and it felt like I could easily have done another 20 or 30 miles.

We also road part way down the unpaved and unimproved portion of the Redbud just east of Woodlawn. The bike went through all the rocks and loose stuff like a champ. It looks like it’s going to do just what I wanted and I’d have to say I’m very pleased with the purchase.

One other interesting thing about this bike is the number of mounting points. In addition to the standard two cup holder mounts most bikes have, there are mounts on the outsides of the front fork, mounting screws on the top bar, and a final set of mounts on the bottom of the frame. With all these mounting points you could carry six water bottles if so inclined.

Speaking of which, does anyone have any experience or recommendations for “bolt on” bags for the top bar? I’m looking for a carry bag that would sit on the top bar instead of behind the seat. I’m thinking bolt on would keep in place better than Velcro straps. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Comment

• Meant to ask, cause cars do. What about the smell on that new bike maddog?

Comment

• 25.4 miles today. Not quite as much fun as bicycling at night. Not even close.

And now, as maddog got himself a nice new ride....time for a "you're brave than I thought moment"

This has been my ride for the last week. It has pedals and a kickstand. And I put just over 120 miles on it this past week, a lot of it trails. It gets dirty.

The chain is just covered in white crushed rock powder.

Here is the last major portion of the redbud that has to be finished. They still haven't paved from 96 to 127, but that seems minor looking at this. I see little to no way this gets done before spring. This is just east of 127th.

Finally, the portion between 143rd and 159 is almost completely paved....like maybe 60-70% from 159 towards 143. This last photo looks east and the gradient is maybe 1-2% uphill going east, so the speed freaks will be traveling west from 159 in the near future. If I had to guess good cyclists will easily reach 30mph on this stretch being wind protected and at a slight downhill.

Comment

• Thanks for the pics JV. I’m planning to ride around in Andover tomorrow and excited to try out that new section of path west of 159th. That section between 143rd and 127th actually looks quite a bit better than when I ventured down there a couple of weeks ago. The construction guy working there told me three months to complete that section, so that would put it in the November to December time frame.

Sorry, no new bike smell that I can tell. I guess that’s not a thing.

I think your trail bike looks good, but maybe kind of old? It also looks heavy. But hey, it’s getting the job done! I’m betting you would really enjoy the Prairie Spirit trail, even in the daylight. Time to load that beast up in the old pickup and head west. You might even encounter the famous KungWu out for a run.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
                    Because it sucked. I knew it was gonna suck, and it did. The limestone is course, not like the other limestone trails I've ridden. Some of it was good, but areas with what was rocky limestone. Also we went 12 miles uphill, away from the river, against the wind. When the limestone is as course as it was in places, much of the pleasure of returning mostly downhill with the wind are neutralized. It was a sucky, sucky ride. And the wife wants to do it again.
                    Whaaat? I suppose you need a mani/pedi half way through your rides too, Buttercup? Don't make your wife go out and buy you one of those Schwinn quilted, ultra-wide bike seats, now that's just embarrassing.

Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Whaaat? I suppose you need a mani/pedi half way through your rides too, Buttercup? Don't make your wife go out and buy you one of those Schwinn quilted, ultra-wide bike seats, now that's just embarrassing.
                      I rode the sum *****, then I rode her. It all worked out in the end. Were riding that monstrosity tomorrow. And yes, I'll ***** about it, but not to her, she loves it. Nothing better than 9-1/2 mph rides on crappy rocks. F@#k...
                      There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• every time I typed b!tch, the filter changed it to *****.
                        There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
                          every time I typed b!tch, the filter changed it to *****.
                          That's to stop a$$ho|es like you from cussing.
                          Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• Maybe that crappy path is the only way she can keep up with the speed demon?

Comment

I think your trail bike looks good, but maybe kind of old? It also looks heavy. But hey, it’s getting the job done! I’m betting you would really enjoy the Prairie Spirit trail, even in the daylight. Time to load that beast up in the old pickup and head west. You might even encounter the famous KungWu out for a run.
                              Yes, that bike may be 10-12 years old. It does not weigh as much as the wife's bike. Maybe you could talk to her and tell the importance of me getting a GOOD trail bike. Maybe throw in some stuff abaout safety, or making sure your husband makes it home to take out the trash, clean the kitchen, or some crap like that. LOL

I have been having loads of fun on it, probably because I just go where I want to, not like my road bike. Editor's note: Bike Exchange DID NOT call me to tell me my wheel was finished today. They said it would be ready Friday (yesterday) or today. So now maybe I just go in, pick up my unfinished wheel on Monday, and order the spokes online and replace them myself.

Comment

Maybe that crappy path is the only way she can keep up with the speed demon?
                                Yeah. MVJ's all time favorite movie.

Comment

Working...
                                X