Coronavirus 2019-nCoV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

All that study says is that if you cough at a Petrie dish five times from a distance of 8 inches that droplets are going to end up on the Petrie dish. No ****. It’s a cloth mask not an iron lung.

It doesn’t attempt to determine how a mask of any construction limits how far the particles travel which is the point of the mask. Social distance + everyone wear a mask in a public place = extremely low risk of transmission. Even the elderly and at risk would have no worry.

I’m highly unlikely to be 8 inches from someone and I’m certainly not going to let them cough on me five times in a row.
    Enjoy wearing your mask. I will be along with the other 80% who won’t be wearing a mask.

Comment

• Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• In Kansas ...

0.9% of people checking into the ER on this date in 2019 and 2018 had severe flu like symptoms.

1% of people checking into the ER today, have severe flu like symptoms (which includes coronavirus and influenza).

Repeating: The risk of having a severe case of influeza or a severe case of coronavirus is now EXACTLY the same as it was to have influenza in the two years prior.
        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
          In Kansas ...

0.9% of people checking into the ER on this date in 2019 and 2018 had severe flu like symptoms.

1% of people checking into the ER today, have severe flu like symptoms (which includes coronavirus and influenza).

Repeating: The risk of having a severe case of influeza or a severe case of coronavirus is now EXACTLY the same as it was to have influenza in the two years prior.
          Question on this...are they still advising symptomatic patients to stay home? Could be a bias in the reporting.
          Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

The point of the cloth mask is not to protect yourself but to protect others in case you are an asymptomatic carrier. It’s an extra precaution. Yes, people should still practice social distancing and stay home when they’re sick. Wearing a mask while inside a store for 30 minutes doesn’t seem like that big of a deal but whatever.

A mask is a control mechanism similar to social distancing and other things you might do to reduce the inherent risk of getting this stuff.

To me a mask is cheap, easy and relatively effective.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

Enjoy wearing your mask. I will be along with the other 80% who won’t be wearing a mask.
              I don’t enjoy wearing the mask. Who would? It’s uncomfortable and I feel silly.

I wear the mask and maintain a distance from others when I need to go somewhere indoors where there will be crowds because, in my opinion and based on research, it is a very simple way to protect and show respect to others.

Comment

• Originally posted by revenge_of_shocka_khan View Post

A mask is a control mechanism similar to social distancing and other things you might do to reduce the inherent risk of getting this stuff.

How do you define effective?
                Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by revenge_of_shocka_khan View Post

My personal doctor who I’ve known for a very long time and who I fully respect, said last week that masks are not effective at all. He is a Scientist too. The media as a whole acts like you do and that it is settled fact and there should be 100 percent agreement and 100 percent OBEYANCE and acquiesce. No arguments please, and many of the public citizenry buy what the media spouts forth, lock, stock, and barrel. Obviously, you do too.
                  Last edited by Shockm; May 26, 2020, 03:55 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

Question on this...are they still advising symptomatic patients to stay home? Could be a bias in the reporting.
                    Not sure how that would skew numbers -- they might tell you to go home, but you're still an ER check-in. Not sure it would affect it hardly at all, but maybe I am missing something?

Comment

Not sure how that would skew numbers -- they might tell you to go home, but you're still an ER check-in. Not sure it would affect it hardly at all, but maybe I am missing something?
                      So, at my company, if you might be infected you call a number. The people on the other end of the call state that you need to quarantine until symptoms subside for a specified timeframe. If the symptoms worsen, you call a teledoc. The teledoc tells you if you need to go into the ER or not. This type of recommendation could discourage ER visits that might otherwise occur.

Just a thought.
                      Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

So, at my company, if you might be infected you call a number. The people on the other end of the call state that you need to quarantine until symptoms subside for a specified timeframe. If the symptoms worsen, you call a teledoc. The teledoc tells you if you need to go into the ER or not. This type of recommendation could discourage ER visits that might otherwise occur.

Just a thought.
                        You don't call your own doctor?

Comment

You don't call your own doctor?
                          You’re not precluded from doing so, but there is a protocol for returning to work. These are “health care workers” that offer advice to the colleague and enforce policy for the company.
                          Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

My personal doctor who I’ve known for a very long time and who I fully respect, said last week that masks are not effective at all. He is a Scientist too. The media as a whole acts like you do and that it is settled fact and there should be 100 percent agreement and 100 percent OBEYANCE and acquiesce. No arguments please, and many of the public citizenry buy what the media spouts forth, lock, stock, and barrel. Obviously, you do too.
                            MSNBC had a fail. They were out in Wisconson with a reporter mocking people who were not wearing mask (which was most) and one of the people responded on camera he wasn't wearing a mask just like the MSNBC cameraman.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

It really is sad. I think almost all of us want objective news with different ways to look at it. Not what their opinion is...….

Case in point....CNN Headline News this morning interviewed several people in Arkansas (who were basically by themselves outdoors) who proclaimed that they were "going to die of something eventually" (and don't tell me it wasn't intentional to find some "hillbillies" to try and accentuate their stupidity) and then went to "science and medical expert Dr. Sanjay Gupta" and asked him "how do you thwart this kind of thinking?"

We're right, they're wrong is the message, and it's barely veiled.

If you don't believe there is INCREDIBLE one way bias in MSM then you're just turning a blind eye. You wonder why Fox takes a beating? Because it's at least 6 to 1. OAN and Newsmax are tiny players. You don't have a choice if you want to use your brain and try to see things for yourself.
                              Obviously a healthy opposition party is good for a democratic republic; "fair and balanced"... That makes the fact that many out there would be happy if FoxNews wasn't around at all transparent as hell. Laughable (there's no other choice).

As proof, all anyone has to do is review the thoughts of the people in office during the early stages of the russia collusion conspiracy theory. Every single person concerned, under oath, stated that there was not even a hint of evidence of collusion, but when they were on cnn, et.al., that same night, they would spin a completely nonfactual narrative. They straight up LIED in our faces, and now "all Fox wants to do is talk about russia?" There are still useful idiots out there pushing that bs. Or, further, not at all reporting the recent -ahem- developments/facts of the story. Now, all of that unrestrained propaganda has just been reassigned to covid.

Our President saved 1.5 million lives didn't he? Doesn't NY have all the beds and ventilators they've needed? Oh, wait...
                              Last edited by ShockingButTrue; May 27, 2020, 08:35 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

MSNBC had a fail. They were out in Wisconson with a reporter mocking people who were not wearing mask (which was most) and one of the people responded on camera he wasn't wearing a mask just like the MSNBC cameraman.

https://www.redstate.com/bonchie/202...zing-happened/
                                ... and crew.
                                Last edited by ShockingButTrue; May 27, 2020, 08:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X