No announcement yet.

Coronavirus 2019-nCoV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1,160 new cases, 34 deaths in Louisiana yesterday.

Comment

• Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
      1,160 new cases, 34 deaths in Louisiana yesterday.
      Mardi Gras was the perfect storm -- it came early enough that your governor and Mayor weren't informed enough to shut it down, but late enough that it did damage. And the expected result is that Louisiana's problem is really a New Orleans problem. Jefferson and Orleans make up exactly 2/3 of Louisiana's total cases. That means a LOT of cases concentrated in a small area, pushing those hospitals to the max. I guess that also explains the extraordinarily high CFR of 4.2% -- overwhelmed hospitals in congested area? Has to be frustrating.
      Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Mardi Gras was the perfect storm -- it came early enough that your governor and Mayor weren't informed enough to shut it down, but late enough that it did damage. And the expected result is that Louisiana's problem is really a New Orleans problem. Jefferson and Orleans make up exactly 2/3 of Louisiana's total cases. That means a LOT of cases concentrated in a small area, pushing those hospitals to the max. I guess that also explains the extraordinarily high CFR of 4.2% -- overwhelmed hospitals in congested area? Has to be frustrating.
        4th highest state in adult diabetes percentage, 4th in adult obesity, and 4th in adult smokers, per CDC. Not a great recipe.
        The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

• Originally posted by wsushox1 View Post

4th highest state in adult diabetes percentage, 4th in adult obesity, and 4th in adult smokers, per CDC. Not a great recipe.
          Ooof.

Comment

• Grim news from Cuomo's afternoon presser and one that leads to a lot of questions: Only 20% of intubated patients from COVID-19 are coming off of them alive.

Comment

Jefferson and Orleans are now only 57%, and quickly dropping as percentage of the whole.

one big reason is many said it was a NOLA problem. They were good. That has been the overall problem each step of the way. Everyone thinks it is someone else’s problem.

Comment

Jefferson and Orleans are now only 57%, and quickly dropping as percentage of the whole.
                Hmm, these numbers are fed from Louisiana's health department, and show 67%. Regardless, even 57% is a terrible load to be concentrated in hospitals in only two counties. Probably even more telling is that over 80% of the deaths have come from those two counties as well.

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
                one big reason is many said it was a NOLA problem. They were good. That has been the overall problem each step of the way. Everyone thinks it is someone else’s problem.
                Yeah, that's not good. Makes sense though, and I can see that playing out all over the country soon. The long tail of the exponential curve looks like "no problem" ... until it is. And then you're super screwed because it's growing at a nasty clip at that point.

What's your sense of why the CFR (reported cases to deaths) ratio is so much higher in NO than elsewhere around the country? Are the hospitals just super overwhelmed?

Comment

Hmm, these numbers are fed from Louisiana's health department, and show 67%. Regardless, even 57% is a terrible load to be concentrated in hospitals in only two counties. Probably even more telling is that over 80% of the deaths have come from those two counties as well.

Yeah, that's not good. Makes sense though, and I can see that playing out all over the country soon. The long tail of the exponential curve looks like "no problem" ... until it is. And then you're super screwed because it's growing at a nasty clip at that point.

What's your sense of why the CFR (reported cases to deaths) ratio is so much higher in NO than elsewhere around the country? Are the hospitals just super overwhelmed?
                  I posted somewhere in this one or other one about that. It is just the overall lack of available quality healthcare. Underlying conditions get worse, add to complications.

if you want to see an hour video on why healthcare sucks so bad in a city that has a new $2 billion dollar complex, watch Big Charity on Netflix.

Comment

as far as numbers, NOLA.com posted 3,703 cases of the 6,424 overall were in Jefferson and Orleans Parish.

several members of the Krewe of Zulu have died, and quite a few more are in the hospital.

Comment

as far as numbers, NOLA.com posted 3,703 cases of the 6,424 overall were in Jefferson and Orleans Parish.

several members of the Krewe of Zulu have died, and quite a few more are in the hospital.
                      Ooof

Comment

• big jumps coming in the #s

i think Cuomo mentioned it I’m his presser this afternoon that the best “real-time stat” is hospital admissions of patients.
                        Last edited by wsushox1; April 1, 2020, 10:51 PM.

Comment

I posted somewhere in this one or other one about that. It is just the overall lack of available quality healthcare. Underlying conditions get worse, add to complications.

if you want to see an hour video on why healthcare sucks so bad in a city that has a new $2 billion dollar complex, watch Big Charity on Netflix.
                          A timely article just out today: Why is New Orleans' coronavirus death rate 7 times New York's? Obesity is a factor

Comment

• 2,726 new cases in LA yesterday. 34 deaths.

Comment

Factor obviously. But testing backlog will drop that percentage. We didn’t see a spike in deaths, but saw a huge spike in new cases confirmed.

Comment

• Not sure what to make of this, but it sounds promising.

Comment

Working...
                                X