Coronavirus 2019-nCoV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
    Trying to help someone with Unemployment information, called the KDOL and got a voicemail message that Gov Kelly has deemed the workers non-essential and are off for 15 days.
    Oof.
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
      Trying to help someone with Unemployment information, called the KDOL and got a voicemail message that Gov Kelly has deemed the workers non-essential and are off for 15 days.

Paid I'm sure.

You CANNOT make it up.
      KDOL has been shut down and working from home for about a week - week and a half now on overtime processing claims.

Comment

• To be fair, I was (eventually) able to reach someone that is working remotely. So there's that.

Comment

• Originally posted by jdmee View Post
          Dr Deborah Brix has just talked about the "scary" numbers that are out there. She basically said those numbers are based on doing NOTHING. We are not doing nothing. Nowhere are the numbers/data indicating anything near those doom and gloom numbers. If you look at the wuhan numbers if the actual, including asymptomatic cases, number is 10x the reported number that is only 600,000 out of 80 million. Not close to the doom and gloom.
          Apparently that is kind of how the mass hsyteria was triggered initially. The Imperial College Study That’s Formed the Basis of So Much Panic Just Got Revised Down Significantly

https://www.redstate.com/bonchie/202...significantly/

Today, the lead researcher on that study has revised his numbers to show dramatic drops in his estimates of deaths and the number of ICU beds needed to tackle the crisis. This comes after he had previously shown up to 2 million dead in the United States and 500,000 dead in the United Kingdom.

He now says both that the U.K. should have enough ICU beds and that the coronavirus will probably kill under 20,000 people in the U.K. - more than 1/2 of whom would have died by the end of the year in any case bc they were so old and sick.

You can say the situation simply changed. His original range was based on countries essentially doing nothing at all to combat the Wuhan virus. No quarantines for the sick, no increase in hospital capacity, and no restrictions on public gatherings. When taken that way, perhaps you can’t blame Ferguson for being so wrong?

Yet, we can’t ignore the responsibility he and his team held in releasing such a doomsday number in the first place. When his report was first put out, countries were already taking dramatic measures to stop the spread and gather the resources to treat the sick. What was the point of throwing crazy death totals out in the open when they were never really possible outside of some alternate reality where no one does anything? This is especially true when you consider that Ferguson had no idea what the actual infection or death rates were at the time of his first study.

And we know exactly what happened in response to those claims. The mainstream media went absolutely nuts with the high end of the range released, to this day still bandying about the “millions will die” claim without a thought as to whether the original data put into the model wasn’t viable. While Ferguson may have simply been making worst case scenario predictions, there are serious questions on whether it was responsible to release that into the wild without doing the necessary legwork to correct the misconceptions of what the study meant.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Rowr
            It does point in an erect direction!

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

• Fauci says US needs to be prepared for coronavirus to be cyclical

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcar...to-be-cyclical

Obviously, if this comes to pass we need to keep the pedal to the metal on development vaccines and treatments and making sure our health care providers are adequately supplied.

So if Covid-19 does diminish in warmer weather how would that be defined. 85 degrees and up? Perhaps no way of knowing. Does anyone have any information on this?

Comment

• I thought viruses were more susceptible to UV light rather than the actual temperature (as they function well in a host of 98.6 degrees). By its very nature, the summer months bring more light in a day and more intense UV rays. That’s why the typical flu is “seasonal”. It’s much harder to survive and spread in that environment. Probably also why the tropical regions won’t be as hard hit with this. Of course, that’s assuming this virus behaves similarly to the standard. Summer months won’t eliminate it but it certainly will help lessen its impact, in my non-medical opinion.
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                  Fauci says US needs to be prepared for coronavirus to be cyclical

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcar...to-be-cyclical

Obviously, if this comes to pass we need to keep the pedal to the metal on development vaccines and treatments and making sure our health care providers are adequately supplied.

So if Covid-19 does diminish in warmer weather how would that be defined. 85 degrees and up? Perhaps no way of knowing. Does anyone have any information on this?
                  The researchers found that most coronavirus transmissions had occurred in regions with low temperatures, between 37.4 and 62.6 degrees Fahrenheit (or 3 and 17 degrees Celsius).

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                    I thought viruses were more susceptible to UV light rather than the actual temperature (as they function well in a host of 98.6 degrees). By its very nature, the summer months bring more light in a day and more intense UV rays. That’s why the typical flu is “seasonal”. It’s much harder to survive and spread in that environment. Probably also why the tropical regions won’t be as hard hit with this. Of course, that’s assuming this virus behaves similarly to the standard. Summer months won’t eliminate it but it certainly will help lessen its impact, in my non-medical opinion.
                    Correct, UV-C light literally breaks apart DNA. Our Ozone layer does a good job of reducing all most all of it- otherwise we would all develop skin cancer from being outside for more an hour. UVA and UVB can still help decrease the R0 of viral spread.

Another reason why viral spread is diminished in warmer weather is that our mucous membranes are not as strong as in the summer time.
                    The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

• It looks like the US just passed China for most cases of Coronavirus in the world. Still a ways back in morbidity. I’m guessing that means our test numbers are finally close to ware they need to be.
                      Livin the dream

Comment

• I'm still worried for New York. I want to see those numbers start reigning in.
                        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
                          It looks like the US just passed China for most cases of Coronavirus in the world. Still a ways back in morbidity. I’m guessing that means our test numbers are finally close to ware they need to be.
                          I'm afraid my predictions might end up more accurate than you are giving me credit for. I'm figuring that the death rate will start to spike in the next few days, and that is very unfortunate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                            I'm still worried for New York. I want to see those numbers start reigning in.
                            I hope you are correct, I have many friends in NY, from working for various companies up there over the years.

Comment

• You can sure tell the folks in threads like this that form their posts after about a half-dozen Google searches and copy and paste actions.

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
                                It looks like the US just passed China for most cases of Coronavirus in the world. Still a ways back in morbidity. I’m guessing that means our test numbers are finally close to ware they need to be.
                                I don’t think our test number are where they need to be, and that is why we passing other countries because they are not identifying and quarantining it early in and it now community spread throughout the US.

in Kansas they are rationing test, and now you are seeing it start to spread into rural counties and take off in segwick.

Comment

Working...
                                X