No announcement yet.

The Imminent Stool Flushing of The Kansas City Eagle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like NPR but they are center-left, and easy examples of bias - though certainly not everything they do is slanted. They just aren't as biased as CNN, MSNBC or the New York Times.

Comment

Originally posted by Napoleon Dynamite View Post

I came to my conclusions after decades of listening to their programming. I like their format, and for the most part they avoid the caustic "shock jock" approach that is really aimed at stirring anger and hatred in listeners (or viewers) that many media/opinion programming on both sides employ. So I can see how many could come to the conclusion that they must be non-biased. However, their bias is present but much more subtle.

Their liberal bias is pretty clear in the opinion programs.There is definitely a liberal bias in their opinion programming in the NPR talent and guests. It's also present in their news reporting more on the side of what they choose to report and choose not to report. While I would say they are highly factual for the most part in what they report, you can have factual reporting but not include all of the facts (in this case, not reporting the conservative facts) and still slant a story. NPR excels at this. This is all pretty obvious and does not require residency in an alternate universe.

As I said I really enjoy their format. For many years, I continued to listen to them realizing their bias. I took the viewpoint of taking what's good and throw out the bad. WHowever, when the Kavanaugh debacle happened, I could no longer stomach their bias.

Science Friday used to be my favorite program in all of media (radio, TV, podcasts, etc.), but sadly since the last presidential election they even politicized that program.

I would guess that your mind is pretty set on your viewpoint. So I don't want this to escalate into a Shockernet argument, so let's just agree to disagree on this.
      What kind of frickin' post is this? Are you from pluto or mars? Or maybe a different solar system? I'm guessing one of the gassy planets like jupiter or saturn, because you seem to be full of hot air.

You must be one of those pencil-neck, pajama-boy, millenial snowflakes. I bet you wear sweater vests. Don't you?

Everyone knows that the non-profit model produces more accurate, factual, non-biased news reporting. There's not even a question about that.

The non-profit model removes corporate corruption and greed. It's as pure as the wind driven snow on the high plains of Kansas.

Otherwise your a good poster, No offense, I'm sure I will like you, but that post was pathetic.
      Last edited by Dennis_Celery; February 8, 2020, 08:30 AM.
      You're a lying dog-faced pony soldier.

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis_Celery View Post

What kind of frickin' post is this? Are you from pluto or mars? Or maybe a different solar system? I'm guessing one of the gassy planets like jupiter or saturn, because you seem to be full of hot air.

You must be one of those pencil-neck, pajama-boy, millenial snowflakes. I bet you wear sweater vests. Don't you?

Everyone knows that the non-profit model produces more accurate, factual, non-biased news reporting. There's not even a question about that.

The non-profit model removes corporate corruption and greed. It's as pure as the wind driven snow on the high plains of Kansas.

Otherwise your a good poster, No offense, I'm sure I will like you, but that post was pathetic.
        Yours is a pathetic, assumption filled, name calling, worthless post.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker1976 View Post

Yours is a pathetic, assumption filled, name calling, worthless post.
          I didn't mean an offense or anything. I'm sure Napoleon is okay. I just kind of have a sixth sense for spotting snowflakes, if you know what I mean.

It just kind of irks me when people attack non-profits as something less than pure. That was the main point I was trying to make.

I know that your a good poster, and loyal Shocker fan. I don't want to get off to a wrong start with you. Let's keep everything kosher. Cool?
          Last edited by Dennis_Celery; February 8, 2020, 10:03 AM.
          You're a lying dog-faced pony soldier.

Comment

Later Hater

Comment

went the bankruptcy route.. gotta shed that pension debt.

Comment

Originally posted by abdullah_sharif View Post
                Yes - you can see their plan. They want to turn the pensions over to the government (thus taxpayers) via the PBGC.

Comment

. I just kind of have a sixth sense for spotting snowflakes, if you know what I mean.
                  So if you point out that NPR has left wing bias then you are snowflake? Am I getting that correct? Maybe you are the snowflake.

Comment

Originally posted by abdullah_sharif View Post
                    McClatchy Co., the parent company of the Wichita Eagle, filed Chapter 11 bankruptcy Thursday morning. 

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post

McClatchy Co., the parent company of the Wichita Eagle, filed Chapter 11 bankruptcy Thursday morning. 

Sad.
                      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Perhaps the first step towards shuttering the print operation of the Eagle entirely.

Edit: On second thought, probably not the “first” step...
                        Last edited by Rocky Mountain Shock; February 13, 2020, 05:37 PM.
                        "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Yikes. If you're gonna troll, at least be subtle about it. This is so obvious it's kinda pathetic. You're trying too hard, so take your meds, a few deep breaths, and another stab at it.

If you can't do that, then at least let the adults in the room have a civil conversation about differences in opinion.
                          "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

It's the _medium_ that has died. And when a medium dies, the business models that have evolved around that tech goes with it.

Handwritten paper killed the stone tablet.
                            The printing press killed handwritten paper.
                            The web killed the printing press.

Grog Gargar can no longer sell flat rocks, chisels, protective eyewear, $1000/character ads, or newstablets because stone tablet tech died.
                            Thomas Tightanus can no longer sell calligraphy pens and services, $10/character ads, or newswrits because handwritten paper tech died.
                            John Williams can no longer sell print press equipment, $0.10/character ads, or newspapers because printing press tech was replaced with newssites.
                            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

The IRS recently granted the Salt Lake Tribune its request to convert to nonprofit status. For reference, its daily circulation is about 74,000; the Eagle is about 48,000. The Tribune is the first major US paper to go nonprofit, though there are some others that are owned by nonprofit foundations while maintaining for profit status.

Here's some links:

The Salt Lake Tribune is now a nonprofit, an unprecedented transformation for a legacy U.S. daily that is intended to bolster its financial prospects during a troubling time for journalism nationwide.

Struggling newspapers across the country are asking: How long can we stay in business? With profitable days disappearing in the rearview mirror, should we secure our financial prospects by formally converting to nonprofit status?

Comment

Not only are they nonprofit they are approved as a 501(c)(3) charitable organization as an educational institution. Yep, as I am allocating my charitable giving that's where I want my money to go. To a newspaper. They claim they won't be influenced by their donors. Yeah, that's the ticket. Why would I want to help the homeless and feed the poor when I can support a bunch of journalists who can't make it on the marketplace.

Comment

Working...
                                X