Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Imminent Stool Flushing of The Kansas City Eagle

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Imminent Stool Flushing of The Kansas City Eagle

    Thanks to you for the new name for the local paper.WSUwatcher
    What is the over/under on how long they stay in business?

    What is the over/under on how long Taylor stays with them?

    Why is HKB all of a sudden covering us too? Couldn’t the Star just use Taylor’s coverage? How about we get a box score or two and some local juco/small college coverage if they are spending money on two reporters covering the same thing?

    I read lots of papers online. Some struggling a lot, some not as bad. The KC Eagle may be the worst of them I’ve seen covering local sports.

    I get the paywall thing. I understand that is part of their revenue stream. But why would I pay for something with no indication that the local sports coverage will get better.
    Last edited by shoxlax; February 4, 2020, 10:48 AM.

  • #2
    Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
    Thanks to you for the new name for the local paper.

    What is the over/under on how long they stay in business?

    What is the over/under on how long Taylor stays with them?

    Why is HKB all of a sudden covering us too? Couldn’t the Star just use Taylor’s coverage? How about we get a box score or two and some local juco/small college coverage if they are spending money on two reporters covering the same thing?

    I read lots of papers online. Some struggling a lot, some not as bad. The KC Eagle may be the worst of them I’ve seen covering local sports.

    I get the paywall thing. I understand that is part of their revenue stream. But why would I pay for something with no indication that the local sports coverage will get better.
    Also, the paywall + an absurd number of advertisements gets me. One or the other. I'm not paying for access to get bombarded by ads.

    Thank god for incognito mode.

    Comment


    • #3
      At the rate they're going, they'll be down to their last few hundred subscribers which will consist of KC transplants and/or KU Walmart T-Shirt followers.

      I'm guessing their new little sidekick "covering" WSU athletics doesn't even get a 5-digit salary. That's why they can afford it.
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.
      ________________
      "Enjoy the ride."

      - a smart man

      Comment


      • #4
        WSU needs to hire Taylor to work with Paul Suellentrop... let them dig deeper into WSU sports; everything from A-Z (NCAA might limit in-depth recruiting information). I'd pay for additional behind the scenes WSU information and welcome a little 'homerizm' every now and then. If not, Taylor will soon be long gone like a turkey through the corn.

        Paul Suellentrop
        @PaulSuellentrop
        "I work for Strategic Communications at Wichita State. My job is to write about Wichita State and the American Athletic Conference."


        "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

        Comment


        • #5
          I do wonder if Taylor would have enough of a following to fund his own content.

          Comment


          • #6
            Somebody on here (I thought) mentioned McClatchy's stock price, which has gone from $60's to basically junk status ($0.75) in a matter of a little over 5 years. They're basically in the throes of death, agonal breathing and all. They'll either be bought out and the leftover assets sold off, or someone will buy it as a long-term investment and try to build it back up. Maybe some combo of both. Regardless, the Eagle as we see it today is not long for the world. Could disappear, could rebuild, but current status quo isn't around for long.

            I'm sure Taylor has feelers out to get off the ship before it sinks. He obviously has the skills (and then some) to do well somewhere else. He with three names will go back to Starbucks or Barnes and Noble or wherever it is that those with useless college educations but no apparent job skills ultimately end up in the great economic filter.
            There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.
            - Ernest Hemingway

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

              Also, the paywall + an absurd number of advertisements gets me. One or the other. I'm not paying for access to get bombarded by ads.

              Thank god for incognito mode.
              Check out this browser. No ads when viewing the KCE.

              https://brave.com/?ref=soc467&gclid=...SAAEgKfkPD_BwE
              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

              Comment


              • #8
                Need to start an SB Nation site for WSU. Can control all of the content that way.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                  Thanks to you for the new name for the local paper.WSUwatcher
                  What is the over/under on how long they stay in business?

                  What is the over/under on how long Taylor stays with them?

                  Why is HKB all of a sudden covering us too? Couldn’t the Star just use Taylor’s coverage? How about we get a box score or two and some local juco/small college coverage if they are spending money on two reporters covering the same thing?

                  I read lots of papers online. Some struggling a lot, some not as bad. The KC Eagle may be the worst of them I’ve seen covering local sports.

                  I get the paywall thing. I understand that is part of their revenue stream. But why would I pay for something with no indication that the local sports coverage will get better.
                  They'll likely endorse Biden.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
                      Need to start an SB Nation site for WSU. Can control all of the content that way.
                      But can you get an SB Nation site financially to a level where it supports full time paid writers?
                      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by WstateU View Post
                        WSU needs to hire Taylor to work with Paul Suellentrop... let them dig deeper into WSU sports; everything from A-Z (NCAA might limit in-depth recruiting information). I'd pay for additional behind the scenes WSU information and welcome a little 'homerizm' every now and then. If not, Taylor will soon be long gone like a turkey through the corn.

                        Paul Suellentrop
                        @PaulSuellentrop
                        "I work for Strategic Communications at Wichita State. My job is to write about Wichita State and the American Athletic Conference."

                        paul has become a company man.. touting the image that wichita state wants touted. while i enjoy many of paul's articles, its far from journalism.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                          Somebody on here (I thought) mentioned McClatchy's stock price, which has gone from $60's to basically junk status ($0.75) in a matter of a little over 5 years. They're basically in the throes of death, agonal breathing and all. They'll either be bought out and the leftover assets sold off, or someone will buy it as a long-term investment and try to build it back up. Maybe some combo of both. Regardless, the Eagle as we see it today is not long for the world. Could disappear, could rebuild, but current status quo isn't around for long.

                          I'm sure Taylor has feelers out to get off the ship before it sinks. He obviously has the skills (and then some) to do well somewhere else. He with three names will go back to Starbucks or Barnes and Noble or wherever it is that those with useless college educations but no apparent job skills ultimately end up in the great economic filter.


                          i believe that it was me.. they basically have two options...

                          1) ride it down. the low stock price will hurt their access to capital. hope they can turn it around, but its not likely as their setup as a traditional newspaper. any re-tooling would cost significant monies - and they don't have any.

                          2) go private. if some poor sap wanted to purchase the company and could get access to shares, they could have the company for about $6,000,000 based on current market cap. i can't imagine what their cash burn is... i could look it up but i've already logged out of my data terminal.. will try to remember to look tomorrow.



                          i beg you taylor - keep your feelers out as your paycheck will bounce and the company will fail sooner than later without outside monies.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Sometimes I wonder if McClatchy isn't trying to purposely flush the Eagle. If they are, I think they'll be successful in less than 2 years.
                            "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I stopped getting the paper but the KC Eagle keeps dumping a Neighbors supplemental paper on my driveway that I don’t want and never asked for. Everyone on my block just picks it up and puts it immediately in their dumpsters.

                              If you know someone advertising in Neighbors, let them know they are flushing their money down the toilet

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X