No announcement yet.

Official Foodie Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Culver's destroys Freddy's. Freddy's was originally, and remains today, a knock-off, poor man's Culver's.

Freddy's menu is tiny - very few options - almost like you're at a fair vendor or something. Culver's has a really large menu in the context of a fast food restaurant. New custard flavor every day. They put the previous day's custard flavor into pints (Ben & Jerry's style) and then into a freezer there for the customers to peruse. Usually will have the last week or so worth of flavors. Buy them for four for $13 (varies on location).

Customer service and employee professionalism at Culver's is like Chick-fil-a - something they take pride in. Freddy's is hit or miss in this regard, but generally nothing super special.

Culver's has legit cheese curds. Freddy's has very sad, mushy, grease bags they call cheese curds.

I've spent a lot of time in the MN/WI/MI area (Culver's home turf) and I can tell you it is very rare to find a Culver's that doesn't do crazy business. Want lunch there at 12 noon on a Sunday? Good luck!

The closest analogy I can come up with locally is if you were to take the Barn'rds vibe of quality, selection, cleanliness and customer service, and scale it up to Chick-fil-a market advantages. I would have bought the franchise rights for Culver's in the Wichita market many, many years ago would I have had to opportunity and wealth to do so.
    Last edited by SHOCKvalue; July 4, 2023, 04:52 PM.

Comment

• Thanks for sharing the insight into Culver's. I definitely didn't get this vibe at all from the Missouri location I went to. I'll have to give them another try.
      Shocker fan for life after witnessing my first game in person, the 80-74 win over the #12 Creighton Bluejays at the Kansas Coliseum.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
        Still not better than Freddie’s who grew up just outside of Wichita, and started a local company.
        Can you at least spell the name right when you’re going to such lengths to defend them?
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Another new restaurant will be entering the market in the next couple of years.

WBJ - KC-based Hawaiian Bros will expand into Wichita with new franchisee

Fugate leads the Pizza Hut division of Wichita-based Fugate Enterprises, which owns 150 Pizza Huts and 75 Taco Bells across multiple states.

“I was looking for a new concept that aligns with our principles and allows for growth," said Zach Fugate, president of Ohana Restaurant Group, in a news release. "It starts with how Hawaiian Bros treats their people and that translates into a maniacal focus on operations. That simplicity leads to best-in-class drive thru times and high AUVs (average unit volume), and we know people are looking for great food fast. Hawaiian Bros delivers that, which made partnering with them an easy decision."

According to the release, the group has already franchised a Springdale, Ark. location and will develop seven more across northwest Arkansas, Joplin, Mo. and Springfield, Mo., as well as Wichita.

"Site selection and development takes time, (and) we would expect the first Wichita location to open at the end of 2024 or early 2025," a brand spokesperson said.
          Has anyone had Hawaiian Bros?
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
            Another new restaurant will be entering the market in the next couple of years.

WBJ - KC-based Hawaiian Bros will expand into Wichita with new franchisee

Has anyone had Hawaiian Bros?
            Yeah, it's pretty good. Their spiciest dish isn't that spicy, but it's darn good.

Big fan of Hawaiian Bros.
            "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Family went there a couple of weeks ago. One thought it was superior to Noble House here, the other preferred Noble House, but it was still very good. They will both be over the moon hearing this news, even if it's a year or 2 away.

Comment

• I was staying in North KC a few months ago and just happened to stop in. It was very good. I'd be a repeat customer for sure.
                Shocker fan for life after witnessing my first game in person, the 80-74 win over the #12 Creighton Bluejays at the Kansas Coliseum.

Comment

• Surprised it took Culver’s so long to make its way here
                  The Assman

Comment

• And another new burger joint is coming to Wichita.

Wichita by EB - Sickies Garage Burgers & Brews apparently taking over former steakhouse

A burger concept founded in Fargo, North Dakota, I’m told, will be taking over the former Logan’s Steakhouse at 2424 N Maize Road. Renovations for the space appears to be underway for Sickies Garage Burgers & Brews.

I haven’t been able to confirm the news with anybody at Sickies Garage Burgers yet, but a few sources have tipped me off on what looks to be true.

The garage-themed burger concept, with an automotive-inspired decor of classic cars and trucks, features over 50 burgers, nearly 50 beers and about 25 different chicken wing flavors. Massive doesn’t even do the menu justice when it comes to burgers.
                    They sound interesting in that they aren't afraid of creating some fun new burgers to try.
                    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• I'm getting burgered-out.
                      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                        I'm getting burgered-out.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by abdullah_sharif View Post
                          on a bbq run today in kc... so i thought that i'd list my 5 favorite bbq joints. sorry, none are in wichita.

1) terry blacks on barton springs road in austin - brisket is definitely king here, especially the moist end is the best and most consistent that i've ever had. ribs were okay, jalapeno sausage was on point. other than not having fries, the sides are amazing - especially the mac & cheese and bacon green beans. i don't know about the sauce here becuase the bbq is so good, i've never added sauce. be prepared to wait a while, the line last time i was there was about an hour.

2) joe's kc bbq - best ribs i've ever had. burnt ends are on point, and the pulled pork is among the best i've tried. variety of sauces, and the fries a like crack - very addicting. be prepared to wait. the line today looks to be about an hour and a half.

3) franklin's in austin - brisket is defnitely king here, but so is the pulled pork. sauce is pretty damn good too.

4) sweet georgia browns in dallas - come hungry. mrs sharif and i shared a meal that came in a styrofoam container. we tried the brisket (not as good as those above but really good) and the smoked sausage. The sides were amazing! Greens and cheddar broccoli & rice.

5) lockhart's smokehouse on davis street, dallas - everything that i've tried here is really good, but not the best. a better way of saying is that they do everything well, but nothing spectacular. ribs were meaty and well trimmed, brisket was juicy and not overdone, and the pulled chicken was amazing with their spicy sauce.
                          My son-in-law loves BBQ. He lives in Baldwin City, south of Lawrence, and my daughter works in KC. They make it over to KC quite a bit to sample the BBQ offerings. Joe's KC BBQ is right at the top of the list. However, on the Saturday before this past Memorial Day my wife and I took him and my daughter to Station 8 BBQ in Wichita. We got the Yeti plus an order of burnt ends so we could samply everything. He absolutely loved it (as did I). In fact, he says he is not sure whether Joe's KC or Station 8 is his #1 at this point. Will probably need try Station 8 a few more times to see if it stays consistently good. Station 8 does operate on very limited hours. 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM Wednesday Through Saturday.

The Yeti:

Comment

• I love all the burnt ends in the whole world.

Comment

• Pecan Lodge in the Deep Ellum area of Dallas has some of my favorite BBQ. It's phenomenal.

Up here in KC, my personal favorite for the full BBQ suite is Q39.

Honestly, and I know this sounds weird, I prefer smoking meat myself, especially brisket, because a lot of places serve dry brisket. It makes sense, but I prefer it cooked at home.
                              "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
                                Honestly, and I know this sounds weird, I prefer smoking meat myself, especially brisket, because a lot of places serve dry brisket. It makes sense, but I prefer it cooked at home.
                                Nothing weird about that at all.

Comment

Working...
                                X