No announcement yet.

It's cold as f....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A helicopter running on fossil fuel spraying a chemical made from fossil fuels onto a wind turbine made with fossils fuels during an ice storm is awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by ShauXTyme View Post
      People act as though this has never happened before. Report last week clearly stated this is the longest cold snap since 1983. That’s 35 years. I was in high school. Remember it pretty well. Don’t remember not going to school cause it was “cold”. Also, yesterday set the record for cold on Valentine’s Day which had been set in 1936. Why was it so cold then? Global warming that year? To say we don’t know what we’re doing cause we’ve never gone through this before is just not true. Has anyone considered changing expectations? People today expect everything to be perfect, all the time.
      35 years is a long ass time. Non-retirees that have dealt with this were just starting their career.

You also have to look at all the changes in energy since then...how it’s produced, how it’s distributed, and how it’s consumed.

Finally, you have to look at deaths then vs now due to the cold. I bet we do better now.
      Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

We have sun in Wichita today. Plenty of nasty wind as well over the last week. Saltwater aquifers can perhaps be used to make osmotic energy.
        You think the sun today was enough to offset the demand set off by the cold? Nasty wind with ice that causes turbines to freeze.

Are you not connecting the dots or are you intentionally being obtuse? The times we need energy the most are the times those “clean” sources aren’t able to put out. It would’ve been fun today if we didn’t have our current power system in place. I’m sure you would’ve loved seeing your own piss freeze in your own toilet.
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post

A helicopter running on fossil fuel spraying a chemical made from fossil fuels onto a wind turbine made with fossils fuels during an ice storm is awesome.
          That photo can't be real lol.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

You think the sun today was enough to offset the demand set off by the cold?
            Of course not. Solar technology is only supplemental at best.

Nasty wind with ice that causes turbines to freeze.
            That needs to be fixed. Perhaps added solar panels that can add to the generation yet provide warmth to melt the ice during times like these.

Are you not connecting the dots or are you intentionally being obtuse? The times we need energy the most are the times those “clean” sources aren’t able to put out.
            Energy can be stored. Introducing: the battery.

I’m sure you would’ve loved seeing your own piss freeze in your own toilet.
            Considering the low bar that has been set for my daily entertainment since the dawn of the Great Pandemic, watching my own piss freeze could rank surprisingly high.

Comment

Originally posted by ShauXTyme View Post
              People act as though this has never happened before. Report last week clearly stated this is the longest cold snap since 1983. That’s 35 years. I was in high school. Remember it pretty well. Don’t remember not going to school cause it was “cold”. Also, yesterday set the record for cold on Valentine’s Day which had been set in 1936. Why was it so cold then? Global warming that year? To say we don’t know what we’re doing cause we’ve never gone through this before is just not true. Has anyone considered changing expectations? People today expect everything to be perfect, all the time.
              It was actually colder a few years ago (maybe 3?) for a couple nights than its even been during this nasty event. I think it was -15f real temp. if my memory serves. My dog's feet froze and I had to carry her inside. She just stood there with paw raised looking at me. But the duration of this has been exceptional.

Comment

Well darn, I went back in history and this was the worst I found. I thought it got into the negative teens (maybe that was wind chill added). Still, pretty salty.

I think the lowest we've hit so far this time is -8f.

Comment

Well darn, I went back in history and this was the worst I found. I thought it got into the negative teens (maybe that was wind chill added). Still, pretty salty.

I think the lowest we've hit so far this time is -8f.
                  Time flies Cold...it was -17 in 2011

Comment

Originally posted by NCAABound View Post

Time flies Cold...it was -17 in 2011
                    Holy **** I'm getting old. My brain is broke.

Comment

Holy **** I'm getting old. My brain is broke.
                      Unplug. Your brain will start working correctly again.

Comment

That photo can't be real lol.
                        If it doesn’t fit the narrative, then it ain’t real.

Climaidiots.
                        Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Im relatively ignorant on cattle...but aren't they usually born in spring?

Comment

That's sad to hear. I hope most ranchers have contingencies in place for extreme cold. They need to get into a valley and/or some trees. If they're all locked up in a pen exposed to the wind... but then perhaps packing them together close may make them warmer too. I know little about cows. I stopped eating them nearly 20 years ago.
                              You stopped eating red meat 20 years ago?

Tough part of the country to do that successfully. I'm guessing you also eschew pork. What do you do, regularly, for sustenance, if I may ask? You don't strike me as a vegan, or someone that is particularly interested in the culinary arts. If you aren't consuming beef or pork, don't do a TON of your own meal prep, what does the average menu for Cold look like? I get you can do fish, but in Kansas that's either difficult or really expensive.

Just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by NCAABound View Post
                                Im relatively ignorant on cattle...but aren't they usually born in spring?
                                Depends when you put the bull with the cows. In many cases, myself included, I plan to have babies now, so that when grass comes on in mid-April, the baby calves are big enough to graze (and grow).

Comment

Working...
                                X