This is what wrong with the KC Chiefs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jazztrane
    BostonWu I like that scenario! ;) I wonder if there's any chance Cowher would want to come back to KC? That would be awesome, I like Herm but I sure haven't liked what I'm seeing this year and these last few weeks. KC has had some near unwatchable ugly games this year, but they were still in em, yesterday was just horrible. I can't comment past the 2nd half as I didn't watch any of it, but when your only scoring drive is converting 3 4th downs to do it, that's sad.

I'm with everyone on the higher draft pick now, but I wonder if it might end up going for a QB? There are some good ones coming out this year, and I while I know Croyle has had little protection, he just isn't showing me anything to make me believe he's going to be an NFL QB. You can look at lots of young QB's like Manning, Bledsoe, Favre etc. who had bad o-lines but still delivered 300 yd passing games early in their careers. Croyle just doesn't show any consistency, and he seems to be a split second late on all his throws. Maybe with experience he'll learn to unload sooner or maybe that's just how long it takes him to make a read?

I don't know if anyone will take LJ in a trade now but I would be happy to go with Kolby next year and pick up 2-3 good new o-linemen, possibly a QB, definitely a WR, and after yesterday it appears the defense still needs help too. :(
    I want to see what brodie does with at least a average line. There is no qb that can be successful with our line. We really wont know if we need a qb after the season, we need to give him another year, its called developing a Quarterback, not giving up on him after 3 games. Here are some interesting stats of other qbs after 3 starts.

Peyton Manning
    62/114 - 54%
    683 yards
    2 TD's/8 INT's
    7 Sacks
    0-3 record

John Elway
    28/62 - 45%
    313 yards
    1 TD/3 INT's
    10 Sacks
    2-1 record

Troy Aikman
    36/79 - 46%
    504 yards
    1 TD/6 INT's
    6 Sacks
    0-3 record

Brodie Croyle
    46/79 - 58%
    446 yards
    2 TD's/2 INT's
    10 Sacks
    0-3 record
    Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

I can't speak to the others since I wasn't watching, I'm just saying from when I watch Brodie he doesn't seem to make good, quick decisions; he's not very accurate, and the way he carries himself doesn't appear to be a good field general/leader. Trust me I'm hoping I'm wrong as I would love to someday have KC develop a good young QB and have him for many years, I just don't know from what I've seen that Croyle is that guy.

Like I said I hope I'm wrong and a few years from now with a rebuilt o-line Croyle is leading us to the playoffs and you can find this post and tell me how wrong I was! ;)

As far as King Carl, I'm as disappointed as anyone in his drafting, whether you can blame it all on him or on our scouts, Vermiel, etc. At least with DJ, Tamba and LJ he's made a string of good first round picks, but anymore you've really got to have your 2nd-5th, at least some, stick around, and that's not happening. Don't the Colts have like 85% of their current roster drafted, or Indy is the only team they've played for? You can only make so many FA acquisitions or high draft picks each year, and right now KC's stuck in a cycle of too many needs to address each year.

If Cowher wants the job tell him to bring whoever he wants from Pitt for scouting & drafting, how many defensive players did they lose year after year and never miss a beat?

Comment

I'm not sold on Herm but I think he could do well if he'd open it up a little more on offense. Granted, with the way the line has played that makes it tougher. I'm gonna say Herm gets another year or two to do something positive. I'd love to have Cowher back in KC but I don't think they'll cut ties with Herm yet.

The ST coach, the OC and the QB coach need to go. I think those are pretty much a given. But watch them all return next season. The Chiefs need to find some young corners they can use and then find some guys they can play on the line. Another WR wouldn't be bad either. Those are the things I'd like to see for next year.
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I agree with you sub, i believe Herm needs another year or 2 before we can really make a honest judgement on him. He has basically taken over a team that has had span of 5 years of the worst drafting history in the league. We have allowed 48 sacks in 13 games, that has to improve. I really do think we have the worst O Line in the league

Comment

Originally posted by newshock1234
            I agree with you sub, i believe Herm needs another year or 2 before we can really make a honest judgement on him. He has basically taken over a team that has had span of 5 years of the worst drafting history in the league. We have allowed 48 sacks in 13 games, that has to improve. I really do think we have the worst O Line in the league
            Our OLine wouldn't be in such trouble if Carl would have tried to keep John Tait and Ryan Lilja. - Another guy who needs to go is Mike Solari. His offensive play calling is so predictable I've actually sat on the couch and called out each play before it happened for an entire game. Pathetic.
            "You can observe a lot just by watching."
            -- Yogi Berra

Comment

No matter the personnel issues that Herm has to deal with, he isn't dealing with them well at all. He needs to go. Bring in a completely new staff, with an offensive minded coach and a heckuva defensive coordinator.

Trade off LJ, get another first rounder. Draft two big O-Linemen in the first round. Then take a new RB in the 2nd. Draft an O-lineman in the third, then start looking for a couple good d-backs to replace the old geisers that are playing there now. Just accept that it will be a rebuilding year, and go from there.

Oh yeah, replace Peterson before any of this takes place as well.

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock
                No matter the personnel issues that Herm has to deal with, he isn't dealing with them well at all. He needs to go. Bring in a completely new staff, with an offensive minded coach and a heckuva defensive coordinator.

Trade off LJ, get another first rounder. Draft two big O-Linemen in the first round. Then take a new RB in the 2nd. Draft an O-lineman in the third, then start looking for a couple good d-backs to replace the old geisers that are playing there now. Just accept that it will be a rebuilding year, and go from there.

Oh yeah, replace Peterson before any of this takes place as well.
                too bad its not that easy, if we trade LJ now, that would put us in Cap hell for a long time. That offensive minded coach worked well last time didnt it. I just think if we fix this o Line in the offseason, we can win around 9 or 10 games. It has to start with the O line.

Comment

Keeping Tait would have put us in a bad spot money wise. Chicago had a lot of money to over pay and they did. I agree with the Lilja comment but it was one of those things where they thought he'd slip through and could be placed on the PS. I didn't like it when they tried it though.

To say Herm isn't doing well because of Herm is a little harsh. He inherited one of the oldest teams in the league and was left with nearly no offensive line. Waters is fine. Casey is a good lineman, but just not a fit in Herms system. I'd like to know if any of the young guys they have has any potential. But the line is where they need to start.

I'm not sure I agree with bringing in an offensive minded coach. That really didn't do anything for us. I'd like to be more balanced and I'd rather have a strong D with a more aggressive O than we have.
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

I think Herm will be fine once he gets some players on the team that aren't old and/or terrible. Most of his odd strategy ideas are because he doesn't have much to work with, I think he'll be a fine coach when he can get some players. Give him some time.
                    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
                    -- Yogi Berra

Comment

Vermeil worked out but Cunningham didn't, and he was defensive minded.

Comment

I don't know how well Vermeil really worked out. We had a couple of decent seasons and then disappointed in the playoffs. Then we had some bad seasons. And partly because of him we're in the situation we're in now.

I just don't think Cunningham is a head coach. But he's a good DC. Marty was more defensive minded and we had some success under him. Baltimore won with a defensive minded coach.
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
                          I don't know how well Vermeil really worked out. We had a couple of decent seasons and then disappointed in the playoffs. Then we had some bad seasons. And partly because of him we're in the situation we're in now.

I just don't think Cunningham is a head coach. But he's a good DC. Marty was more defensive minded and we had some success under him. Baltimore won with a defensive minded coach.
                          sub i hope you meant Playoff, not playoffs. Because i think you have to makes it to more than one playoff appearances to make playoff plural. Anyways i agree with you about vermiel, people talk about how well he did here, but in reality he took us to 1 playoff apearance in 5 years, and we were suppose to be built to win now and now thats why we have problems now.

Comment

Well, now that they finished up 4-12, let's talk about what's really wrong with the Chiefs.

1. Carl Peterson
                            2. They sucked on defense and offense
                            3. They have no one on the O Line
                            4. They have a roster which is half full of guys that have no business playing in the NFL

If they don't draft a QB high this year, I'll scream. Plus they need to draft a big O Lineman in the first round. They need D Backs. They need more O linemen. They need another running back. And the list goes on and on.

What's it looking like they'll end up drafting at anyways?

Comment

5th pick. 8)

Comment

herm said on the post game today that many of these pkayers will not be back. He looks to strengthen the team througth the draft but look for free agent signings also. 8)
                                I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Working...
                                X