No announcement yet.

2018 Lady Shockers Recruiting!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last night on her weekly radio show Coach Keitha commented on this recruiting class. I don't believe that I have read or heard any comments from her on this class since they were announced.

That discussion starts at about the 39:30 mark on the Podcast.

Jaida Hampton out of East Lansing, MI is a 5-10 athletic, scoring guard who can shoot off the bounce. She is in the running for Michigan Player of the Year honors. HCKA thinks Jaida is a really good get.

Jada Peacock out of Allen, TX a 5-9 guard who committed to WSU while Jody was still here. HCKA went and watched her play and was impresssed with how hard she played. Extremely competitive, very defensive-minded, and very athletic. She hit shots including some threes and just really competed. HCKA said Jada loves Wichita State and seemed more commited to the school than to the prior coaching staff which HCKA said is pretty rare.

HCKA did confirm that Carla Bremaud (from France) was at Life Prep Academy in Wichita and can really shoot the basketball. Said Carla is a smart, athletic, upsized guard. HCKA said one of the things they had tried to do was to recruit guards that had size. HCKA said we just went through (UConn) what size can do for you. HCKA said Carla has a pure shot (which you can see in the link in the preceding post). HCKA said she has some clips of Carla and there are days she just watches that because it makes her feel better. (My comment: This year's Shocker team is shooting 24.8% on treys).

Trajata Colbert is a 6-1 or 6-2 power forward out of Rochelle, GA (a couple hours south of Atlanta) who is a real physical, thick bodied post who HCKA thinks can really be a nice player. A really good kid from a good family. Her Dad is really big guy and Trajata has a chance to get even bigger. Trajata is a reobunder and a strong, strong power forward.

Next up was Maya Brewer out of Kansas City via State Fair Community College in Sedalia, MO. Maya took visits to Colorado, Buffalo and Wichita State before committing to the Shocks. She is a 5-10 lenghty, athletic guard who is a slasher and a scorer that can put the ball in the basket. Played for a good high school program and they are very happy to get her.

Finally, Shyia Smith out of Idabel, OK in the Southeastern corner of the state, is a 6-1 great athlete with good length who is very mobile and a good rebounder. HCKA thinks she can be very effective playing at the front of the Shocks' half court trapping press.

Coach thinks they have signed some talented players and really good kids and she is excited about this class. However, it is a work in porgress and there will be a lot of unknowns as they move forward.

Coach said she understands how important recruiting is and they are continuing to work hard on the recruiting trails. Coach said were working hard on a young (not sure how young) kid in Kansas who could be a really special player. Getting players from France, the Dallas area, Kansas City area, Southern Georgia, Michigan and far Southearstern Oklahoma is pretty good evidence that this coaching staff is not afraid of hard work on the recruiting trail.

It sounds like a promising class. Hopefully, a good start to better things to come.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; February 13, 2018, 07:53 PM.

Comment

MLIVE.COM Miss Basketball candidate Jaida Hampton enjoying monster season for East Lansing

Jaida is one of four finalists for this season's Miss Basketball Award, which honors Michigan's top senior basketball player.

"What makes Jaida the best player on that (Miss Basketball) list is that she is so much more diverse in terms of what she brings to the table," East Lansing coach Robert Smith said. "Some kids are 3-point shooters, and some kids are passers, and some kids are big and are good rebounders. She does it all.

"She is a 43 percent 3-pointer shooter and she can post up, and she has good post moves and spin moves. She has an excellent jump shot. There is nobody out there with a better jump shot in the paint than what Jaida has. She elevates so beautifully on her jump shot that nobody can block it. Her passing has been great, and if we have to, she can guard the other team's best player. There really is nothing that she can't do. There is no weakness. Whatever she wants to do, she sets her mind to do it and she does it."
      Sounds just a little bit like another former Shocker player. Uhh, let's see what was her name. Oh yeah, Alex Harden, except Alex wasn't that good of a 3 point shooter. That may be setting the bar a bit high for Jaida but quite frankly she is probalby ahead of where Alex was when she showed up at Wichita State. Hard not to get excited about this young lady.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 7, 2018, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Keitha Adams‏ @WSUKeithaAdams 9 hours ago
        Wheels up. Meet my new best friend #recruiting #GoGetIt

Comment

Keitha Adams‏ @WSUKeithaAdams
          Congrats to Jaida Hampton Miss Basketball. #watchus #GoGetIt #SHOCKERS

10:21 AM - 9 Mar 2018

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/h...ton/410258002/

She is one of the most versatile players in the state. On senior night, she hit seven of nine 3-point attempts, then, earlier this week, went inside and scored clutch baskets in the post during the deciding moments of the regional semifinal win over Kalamazoo Central.

“She’s East Lansing’s version of Michael Jordan,” said Smith. “She can take the team on her back, but she can also distribute. She can go down low and post up. She can shoot the 3-ball, and she can take you off the dribble.
          Congratulations Jaida. Really looking forward to seeing what you can do in the Black and Yellow.

:poster_shocks:
          Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 13, 2018, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Here are some video's of Shyai Smith, 6-0 forward/wing form Idabel, Oklahoma, in action.

Watch Shyia Smith's videos and highlights on Hudl. More info: Idabel High School - Girls' Varsity Basketball / PF, SG / Class of 2018 / Idabel, OK

How she will handle the step up in competition to D-1 collegiate ball remains to b seen but looks like she has the skills and atheticism to develop in to a good players for the Lady Shocks.

A little more info on ShyDawg.

Looking for her becoming less Shy and more Dawg over the next few years.
            Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 22, 2018, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Maya Brewer has played two years of Juco ball at State Fair CC in Sedalia, MO. State Fair lists her as a 5-11 guard. As a sophomore Maya averaged 14.6 PPG and 5.4 RPG in 22 MPG. Shooting % were okay. Not great.

Here is her Senior mixed tape from her time at North Kansas City H.S. a couple of years back. How much she has progressed in her two years at State Fair is hard to say.

Also some videos on her hudl page.

Maya's signing day.
              Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 22, 2018, 07:26 PM.

Comment

According to her recruiting profile Trajata Colbert is a 6-2, 185 lb PF/C. You don't often see weights listed for the women players but 6-2, 185 sure seems like PF/C material to me. Her profile also says she bench presses 135 lbs and squats 185 lbs. I don't really know but that seems decent for a high school girl.

Trajata, from Rochelle, GA, may be a little bit of a project as she doesn't look overly atheltic but she does look strong. Her free throw shooting of 55% needs some work.

Comment

Not finding much on Jada Peacock and Carla Bremaud that has already been posted.

I have not heard much about Ericka Mattingly. Not sure what Ericka is thinking. I would think Wichtia State would still be very interested in her especially since we have no obvious candidate at the point guard position (especially no candidates with any experience). Maybe Cesaria could fill that role but she turns the ball over a lot and makes a lot of high risk passes.

Here are Ericka's stats from Butler this year.

She has played 27.2 minutes per game for the Grizzlies averaging 14.5 PPG and a surprisingly strong 6.3 RPG. She has averaged 3.7 APG and has a 1.8 A/TO ratio. She also is averaging a strong 3.8 steals per game. Her shooting from the field (40.7%/30.6% on treys) is okay but not great. Her free shhoting at 63.3% is not very good.

All-in-all though I see Ericka as the starting point guard next year if she comes to Wichita State. Hope she has enjoyed playing close to home this year and will want to continue that (even closer to home). I will say that in Ericka's final game at Butler, a 67-69 loss to Cowley in the Region VI quarterfinals at Hartman Arena, Ericka was very good leading Butler with 19 points on 6-9 from the field (1-1 on treys) and 6-6 from the line plus 10 rebounds and Butler's only 2 steals of the game. So maybe playing close to home is agreeable with Ericka.

I kind of wonder if that night after the Temple game when HCKA cut abruptly cut her post-game inteveiw short because she spotted a recruit in the arena if that maybe wasn't Ericka (the Butler women did not have a game that night).
                  Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 22, 2018, 08:37 PM.

Comment

Comment

I have not been successful in finding written confirmation of this, but heard from someone who knows Ericka Mattingly well, that she will be going to UMKC next year. Has anyone else heard or seen confirmation of that?

Comment

Originally posted by trufan View Post
                        I have not been successful in finding written confirmation of this, but heard from someone who knows Ericka Mattingly well, that she will be going to UMKC next year. Has anyone else heard or seen confirmation of that?
                        A check of Ericka's twitter account confirms that she in fact has committed to play for Jacie Hoyt at UMKC.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 28, 2018, 05:51 PM.

Comment

• ShockTalk
                          ShockTalk commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Wonder how much her sister going to play volleyball for KCKCC had to do with it? They seem very tight. Would have loved for her to play for the Shocks, but also glad she's playing for Jacie.

• 1972Shocker
                          1972Shocker commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Looking at her twitter account her sister playing VB in KC may have had quite a bit to do with it.

What about Dawnyel Lair from Los Angeles?

Comment

• WuDrWu
                          WuDrWu commented
                          Editing a comment
                          "Her level of speed is unseen before".

I believe I heard Usain Bolt say hello.

• Shockm
                          Shockm commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Can someone sum up what the article says about Lair? My computer was reporting some viruses from that article. Did she receive some state or regional honors in LA?
                          How many women's scholarships do we still have left to give?
                          Has Lair tweeted or mentioned the WSU offer in some other social way on the internet?

• 1972Shocker
                          1972Shocker commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Unfortunately Usain is out of eligibity and probably doesn't look that good in a dress anyway. Buy yeah a little overboard by her Coach but that's okay. I'm sure she will be quick enough.
                          Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 28, 2018, 04:51 PM.

Here are a few things I have found on Dawnyel Lair:

MaxPreps Report: http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/dawn...6g/default.htm
                        LA Times: City Section Girl's Player of the Year CIF Los Angeles City Section is the governing body of high school sports for more than 140 schools in the Los Angeles area. By way of comaprison Kansas has 128 schools in 4A - 5A and 6-A basketball.

John R. Wooden 2018 Girls High School Players of the Year - CIF Las Angeles City Section.

i have not been able to find any highlights of Dawnyel and I have not been able to locate her twitter account if she has one.

Always hard to know what you have anyway until you them in action at the next level. IIRC Dawnyel is 5'7".

Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 1, 2018, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Regarding scholarships available we have 4 players on this year's roster who played this past season (Classes show are for 2018-19):

Sr. Sabrina Lozada-Cabbage 6-2 F
                          Sr. Cesaria Ambrosio 6-0 G
                          So. Allysia Faye 6-2 F
                          So. Fanny Hakanson 5-8 G

Sabrina and Cesaria are likely to be starters next year. Allysia played about 9 minute a game mostly when foul trouble among our bigs was an issue. Fanny played very little and quite frankly I am not sure she is capable of competing at this level.

Also the following players were on the roster this past year but did not play:
                          RJr. Raven Prince 6-1 F
                          RSo. Khady Sene 6-1 F
                          RFr. Asia Henderson 6-3 C

Raven was a transfer from Butler CC and I don't recall seeing her in uniform. I have no idea what the story on her is. Khady was a late add to last year's rosters and what little I saw of her in warmups not sure where she fits in. Might be in over her head. Asia was a HCKA recruit to UTEP who decomitted and follwed HCKA to WSU (although HCKA did not actively encourage her to do that). From what little i saw of her in Shocker Madness and the Exhibition games a redshirt was not surpirsing. Has some physical tools but whether she can move from project to player remains to be seen.

That's 7 players assuming they all return. Add to the 6 incoming players discussed above that have signed LOI's and the reported verbal commitment we have from Dawnyell Lair and assuming everyone returns and everyone shows up we are currently at 14. That leaves 1 scholarship open although many women's coaches elect not ot use their full allotment of 15 scholarships. For example, UConn's roster has 12 players on it this year.

At this point, again assuming everyone returns and shows up the Shock will have a roster of 2 seniors, 2 juniors, 3 sophomores and 7 freshman. So HCKA still has a ways to go to balance her classes assuming that is something she has any interest in doing. If we do use that 15th scholarship this year I would think a Juco transfer or a grad transfer would be preferable to adding another freshman to the mix.

One thing is certain. We will have very little D-1 experience next year. Sabrina has 3 years. Cesaria has 1 year. Allysia has 1 year of light experience. Fanny, Raven, Khady and Asia have 1 yer of D-1 practice experience.

I think our incoming recruiting class looks pretty good on paper but who knows. Hard to see anything but a very challenging year next year and what UConn might to do us in Koch Arena is a bit scary.
                          Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 26, 2018, 04:12 PM.

Comment

A brief look at incoming Shocker freshman Jada Peacock working out.

Comment

Working...
                            X