Player rumors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Player rumors

I just deleted an entire thread in which the author said a player was leaving. There was no link to an official report and not stated where the information was publicized. The posting guidelines clearly state that information such as this is not allowed if it hasn't been made public by the media or an official source.

I went and looked for the info myself. However, future posts of this nature will be removed or edited if the author doesn't link to the source or at least include how or where the info was made public.

Royal--I apologize for anything I may have said which is felt to be inappropriate.

With as hard as this coaching staff is working ( individual workouts and intense recruiting efforts), the announcement of a player's departure may be understandably low on the list of things to do. It would not surprise me if the announcement does not occur for awhile. I just thought folks on this board would be interested. Again, I offer my apology.

Comment

We surely appreciate you wanting to keep us in the know. No harm in the intentions. But in order to make sure personal things, that may or not be rumor, don't get spread here.

We also don't want to have to discern between someone being truthful or lying if they say "so-and-so player told me this".

So we developed our policy in a way that information which can be contrued as negative (such as players transferring or off-court things) should not be posted here unless it's been made public (media or university).

So I hope you understand the "why's and wherefore's". It's really just to protect the player (or coach if that's the case).

I will also edit your previous post that refers to the information in question.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

Thanks!

Comment

Royal--
        I think I understand. Probably where I went wrong was that I saw the departure of a player as an expected thing with any coaching change, rather than as a necessarily negative thing.

Comment

Originally posted by trufan
          Royal--
          I think I understand. Probably where I went wrong was that I saw the departure of a player as an expected thing with any coaching change, rather than as a necessarily negative thing.
          Yep. I hear ya. And personally, I enjoy hearing the info, even if it is a rumor. So from that standpoint, I don't like our policy either! :D

We hit a point last year where we really couldn't suppress talk of Turgeon leaving. Same thing this year with Jane and the "writing on the wall".

On the men's side this year, we knew changes in player personnel would likely occur and so there was a lot of speculation being discussed, which is fine. Though even today I had to remove most of a topic where private information (found on Facebook) was posted.

Comment

I have heard talk of a Lady Shocker leaving on campus. If history proves when there is a coaching change players leave, and recruits may decide to go somewhere else. That is something that the AD should consider before they fire any coach. Since players make decisions on coming to play for particular coaches, and what the school may offer them educationally. Parents of athletes want to intrust their children that are going to teach them about life, and help them to become responsible people. If players leave that is something Schaus should have considered before he made his decision. It would not surprise me if some of the Lady Shockers left, it's a possibility.

Comment

Players come and go with or without Caoching changes. For example, Kelsy Richardson, Breezy Martin and Kristen Donnell all left during Jane's tenure. May have been others, but those are ones I can recall off the bat.

We probably have a few players who may very well be better off moving on to other surroundings. If so, then we wish them well.

I have no doubt Jim Schaus is well aware of those issues and risks. In fact, he is much more experienced in those issues than you or I will ever be.

What Jim Schaus could not ignore was the all too common, embarassing blow outs on the road and the rapidly declining fan interest in the program.

IMHO Jane was given a very fair opportunity to perform and she did not. She received a very fair buyout of her remaining contract. Whether you like it or not she is done at WSU and will move on to the next opportunity in her life. Time for us to move on as well.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
                Players come and go with or without Caoching changes. For example, Kelsy Richardson, Breezy Martin and Kristen Donnell all left during Jane's tenure. May have been others, but those are ones I can recall off the bat.

We probably have a few players who may very well be better off moving on to other surroundings. If so, then we wish them well.

I have no doubt Jim Schaus is well aware of those issues and risks. In fact, he is much more experienced in those issues than you or I will ever be.

What Jim Schaus could not ignore was the all too common, embarassing blow outs on the road and the rapidly declining fan interest in the program.

IMHO Jane was given a very fair opportunity to perform and she did not. She received a very fair buyout of her remaining contract. Whether you like it or not she is done at WSU and will move on to the next opportunity in her life. Time for us to move on as well.
                RIGHT ON! :good:

:goshocks:

Comment

trufan's information is proven correct. I saw on the Channel 10 sports tonight (on the ticker at the bottom of the screen) that Jenn DeGarmo would not be retruning next year.

Sorry to see Jenn go, I thought she showed some real potential, but she needs to do what she believes is in her own best interest.

Good luck to her in her future endeavors.

Comment

Kelsy Richardson left because she was able to graduate at semester last year. Breezy Martin left because she was homesick. Now that the exodus of players have begun, who will the critical critics blame now?
                    Yes, Jane got a fair buyout. Most of all she believed in these young ladies she brought to WSU. These same young ladies wanted to play basketball for her, and now feel that cost Jane her job. These young ladies came to WSU for an education, and to learn about life from a quality person. Athletic officials made promises to these young ladies and their parents when they came for official visits, which were broken. Also, Schaus said that he could see improvement but it was not fast enough, which means the players Jane brought in were making a difference. Adams is not going to win if she doesn't have any players, plain and simple. As for local talent, there has to be players with Division 1 possibilities to recruit them, not because they are from local schools. Remember Jane did not burn the bridges with local coaches, Smith did. Jane did her best to recruit these girls. When a Big 12 school calls and recruits you, are you going to sign with a Big 12 school or Valley school? The vast majority of high school students are going to opt for a Big 12 school, or another BCS school. The Valley is not considered a powerhouse in women's basketball. The majority of high school seniors want to leave home and go away to school, which is another reason students choose to sign with schools away from Wichita. Be real, Wichita is not considered a college town like Lawrence or Manhattan.

Comment

You can also blame the schedule on decrease attendance. This last season the Lady Shockers played Thursday and Saturday afternoon home games. The year before the ladies played Friday and Sunday afternoons. Since biddy basketball games are held on Saturdays, there is a large fan base right there unable to attend games. And if kids have school on Friday, that also dictates how many parents will bring their children to games on a Thursday night. The marketing for women's games are at families not at individuals. While the men's games are marketed at couples, and individuals.
                      The men got blown out too on the road, in fact games that they double digit leads in and then lost.
                      The critics wanted a scapegoat, maybe they were embarrassed by the tantrums of Marshall on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by ksooter
                        Kelsy Richardson left because she was able to graduate at semester last year. Breezy Martin left because she was homesick. Now that the exodus of players have begun, who will the critical critics blame now?
                        Yes, Jane got a fair buyout. Most of all she believed in these young ladies she brought to WSU. These same young ladies wanted to play basketball for her, and now feel that cost Jane her job. These young ladies came to WSU for an education, and to learn about life from a quality person. Athletic officials made promises to these young ladies and their parents when they came for official visits, which were broken. Also, Schaus said that he could see improvement but it was not fast enough, which means the players Jane brought in were making a difference. Adams is not going to win if she doesn't have any players, plain and simple. As for local talent, there has to be players with Division 1 possibilities to recruit them, not because they are from local schools. Remember Jane did not burn the bridges with local coaches, Smith did. Jane did her best to recruit these girls. When a Big 12 school calls and recruits you, are you going to sign with a Big 12 school or Valley school? The vast majority of high school students are going to opt for a Big 12 school, or another BCS school. The Valley is not considered a powerhouse in women's basketball. The majority of high school seniors want to leave home and go away to school, which is another reason students choose to sign with schools away from Wichita. Be real, Wichita is not considered a college town like Lawrence or Manhattan.
                        :roll:
                        SFL is back!

Comment

Originally posted by ksooter
                          You can also blame the schedule on decrease attendance. This last season the Lady Shockers played Thursday and Saturday afternoon home games. The year before the ladies played Friday and Sunday afternoons. Since biddy basketball games are held on Saturdays, there is a large fan base right there unable to attend games. And if kids have school on Friday, that also dictates how many parents will bring their children to games on a Thursday night. The marketing for women's games are at families not at individuals. While the men's games are marketed at couples, and individuals.
                          The men got blown out too on the road, in fact games that they double digit leads in and then lost.
                          The critics wanted a scapegoat, maybe they were embarrassed by the tantrums of Marshall on TV.
                          :roll: :roll: Your credibility is quickly goin' down the crapper.
                          SFL is back!

Comment

Jane inherited a team that didn't know how to spell team. They thought an I was in the word team. There were several players that Smith recruited that had no or little high school experience at all. So to say Jane had fair shake when she took the job, I don't think so. Smith burned a lot of bridges with local coaches, that Jane tried to repair, along with getting talented players to come to WSU. Instead of being mean to the players that had no or little high school experience Jane allowed them to finish their education at WSU, she could have sent them packing. It took basically 3 years to get rid of those players, which left last year and this year. That is not a fair deal, especially when she was told to do it right and to take her time doing it. I also don't base my opinion on reporters who misquote people like some people do.
                            I firmly believed this team could have been a 500 team next year, now I don't think so. Because of changes in offenses and defense, along with players leaving.

Comment

Look at the schedule SFL

Comment

Working...
                              X