Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ksooter
    Look at the schedule SFL
    "The men got blown out too on the road, in fact games that they double digit leads in and then lost."

???? :roll:
    SFL is back!

Comment

You can also blame the schedule on decrease attendance. This last season the Lady Shockers played Thursday and Saturday afternoon home games. The year before the ladies played Friday and Sunday afternoons. Since biddy basketball games are held on Saturdays, there is a large fan base right there unable to attend games. And if kids have school on Friday, that also dictates how many parents will bring their children to games on a Thursday night. The marketing for women's games are at families not at individuals. While the men's games are marketed at couples, and individuals.
      The men got blown out too on the road, in fact games that they double digit leads in and then lost.
      The critics wanted a scapegoat, maybe they were embarrassed by the tantrums of Marshall on TV.

Please stop. Your bitterness, for whatever reason, is causing your stupidity to be magnified to level heretofor unseen on this board.

The men were blown out 2 times on the road. Even the MSU game, a total embarrassment, pales in comparison to the SEVEN 30+ point blowouts this year alone. Many of those games were 30 point games at halftime. To compare the two programs is insane.
      [/list]

Comment

Touchy aren't we? I'm entitled to my opinion as you are entitled to yours. Just because you may not be able to see reason with what has happened in the past, that is not my fault.
        Go and check out some old media guides and see the experience of the players Smith recruited. And as for the men maybe I should say they choked on the road, and at home too. To be ahead by 20 points and then lose, blow out or not they choked. Do you have blame for their problems too? Or is Marshall too new to get on his case? Maybe your credibility is in question.

Comment

ksooter....Jane....Jane's relative.....

She/you had your chance. It's over. Move on.

I'm sure Jennifer DeGarmo's moving on has nothing to do with Jane no longer coaching. Do you have proof of this allegation you so blatantly have thrown out?

You have blamed the strength and conditioning coaches, the schedule, Coach Smith, and everything/everyone else you can think of for Jane's lack of success.

It's time to take a deep breath. Tell yourself that it is now over and you are not doing anyone any good; and again, JUST MOVE ON.

Comment

ksooter,

I like Jane. I think that she is a great person and, in spite of the lack of success here, a very good coach.
            I certainly think that much said here about her has been speculative and off base.
            I also was not a huge fan of Smith and I think that there were major problems in the program when she took over. I even think that given enough time, she may have been able to turn a corner here, so in a lot of ways I am on your side of the argument, but you are losing credibility by way, way overstating your case. I have several things to say:

1. The simple fact is that in NCAA division I ball, if you don't win, you get fired, whether or not it was completely your fault. I was among those who didn't mind seeing Jane get another year last year, but after 4 years without much success, you had to know that the leash would be short.

Jane didn't need to have a great year this year to keep the job, but needed to show movement in the right direction, and finishing last in the conference cannot be seen as moving in the right direction.

2. Coaching transitions are hard on players and coaches. Yes, players will leave the program, and some may feel misled, rightfully or wrongfully. However, if that fact means that you can't fire a coach, then coaches would never be fired.

As to promises to families about keeping the coach I would offer two insights:

A. If Schaus had no intention of firing Jane when he told the players that Jane would be there, he was not lying about his intentions. Any coach or player who believes that there is no possibility of a coach being fired if things go poorly is being naive about division I sports. If Schaus went into a meeting knowing that he was firing Jane, but told a player otherwise, that would be different. But I see no proof of that.

B. Do you really think it would have been better for Schaus to tell recruits that there was a decent chance Jane would be fired? If he did that, he might as well fire her on the spot, because he would be publicly telling recruits that they would have no support from the administration. I firmly believe that Schaus had hopes that Jane would show progress this year, finish in better position in the MVC, and would be the coach next year when he made these statements. That plan changes when, instead of moving up in the standings, you stay in last.

3. Jody Adams appears to be a very good hire, and I find it odd that you assume that retaining players for next year is the major goal. There is a reason that coaches are generally given at least 4 years. In that time, they can get their own players in and their record is reflective, not of what they inherited, but what they built.

By your criteria, Smith shouldn't have been fired either, because the transition year (Jane's first year) wouldn't be very good. And sure enough it wasn't. But the fact is that you don't make firing/hiring decisions based on what will happen during the turmoil of a turnover, but based on what you believe is in the long term interest of the program.

Over the long term, Jane may have eventually succeeded, but when the record shows no sign of improvement, there is simply little reason to blame an AD for heading a different direction.
            "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

ksooter has succeeded in making the most bizarre posters look palatable...face it, jane was awful, and without being overly cruel, jody could have MASS defections of current players and be better off.

yep, it's the schedules' fault...too bad that valley is so tough....

Comment

I've always been in Janes corner but we all knew that a bad season would get her fired. I would guess that most of the players probably understood that as well. Smith had issues but he won games and that's why some on here still defend him. Jane has class and quality kids but couldn't. For the programs sake, you don't keep either of those around. Both would do more harm than good in the long run. There was no excuse for Jane to have done as poorly as she did though. And many think she got one more year than she deserved. If players want to leave then fine. They can find somewhere else to play. But if they want to honor their commitment to the school I'm all for it. There are some young ladies on this team that have some talent and potential if we could find someone to help them tap into it. Hopefully Coach Adams and her crew can do that. The last staff didn't.
                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

A common theme of Jane's supporters is that nothing is her responsibility and it is totally unfair to hold her accountable for anything. You really can't argue with that point of view.

In any case, it is all moot at this point. Jane received a fair chance and was treated very fairly with her severance package. Schaus, correctly IMHO, has chosen to bring in a new Head Coach. Jane is moving on to the next phase of her life and I hope she is happy and successful in whatever direction that takes. Jane is a bright and positive person and I have no doubt she will do just fine.

I had high hopes for Jane Abright based on her past record and the fact that she came in on the heels of the Roundhouse Renaissance project. Unfortunately it didn't happen.

We have a young and energetic new Coaching staff that deserves all of our support at this point, regardless of how you feel about FORMER Coach Albright. It is apparently a very difficult job, considering we have only one coach in our "modern" history that had a winning record. Hopefully, Coach Adams and her staff will be the ones to break out, although next year should be a very challenging start.

Comment

Maybe you are one of those people who would go and shake a any coach's hand and say good job, then turn around make hurtful remarks on this forum. The way you all see it that you are experts on every sport and coach at WSU. Which you either work in the athletic department and are leaking information that is private, or you have the place wire tapped, or you are taking to someone in the department that is leaking information to you, all that is questionable integrity and possible breaking of privacy laws. Maybe now you feel bad because you based your thoughts on assumptions, and newspaper articles. Who knows? But if someone sees things differently from all of you they are not credible, I don't think so. Maybe you need to open your eyes a little wider when you are making your observations of Shocker teams, instead of thinking of what is the good ole' network is doing with their money in SASO. It is also quite evident that WSU does reward loyalty from professors to whomever that works at WSU. If you don't think so, go and take a class from a professor that has worked at WSU for sometime. How does that work for you?

Comment

ksooter, I will admit that you have convinced me of one thing. You have absolutely convinvced me that the decision of Jim Schaus to terminate Jane Albright was the right thing to do. You have totally eliminated any doubts I might have had about that. For that, I thank you.

Comment

Maybe you are one of those people who would go and shake a any coach's hand and say good job, then turn around make hurtful remarks on this forum. The way you all see it that you are experts on every sport and coach at WSU. Which you either work in the athletic department and are leaking information that is private, or you have the place wire tapped, or you are taking to someone in the department that is leaking information to you, all that is questionable integrity and possible breaking of privacy laws. Maybe now you feel bad because you based your thoughts on assumptions, and newspaper articles. Who knows? But if someone sees things differently from all of you they are not credible, I don't think so. Maybe you need to open your eyes a little wider when you are making your observations of Shocker teams, instead of thinking of what is the good ole' network is doing with their money in SASO. It is also quite evident that WSU does reward loyalty from professors to whomever that works at WSU. If you don't think so, go and take a class from a professor that has worked at WSU for sometime. How does that work for you?
                        Your credibility is questioned because you come off as a very very angry person about all of this. There was NOTHING unfair about how it was all handled. Even Jane knew she had to produce this year and had said as much in the past. Shaus loves Jane and that is no secret. And that's one reason she was given an extra year despite the lack of production and fans in the seats. Why you seem to take it so personally and think it was handled poorly is beyond any of us at this point. Credibility is earned on here and you simply haven't done it. You appear to have signed up just to blame everybody else and give Jane a pass. How you've come to that conclusion appears to be beyond any of us...
                        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

1. I have been a strong supporter of Jane, both on this board and off it. Check my history of posting and I have usually been defending Jane on this forum against excessive attacks by those that don't like her.

That being said, as someone who has solidly been in Jane's camp, to act as though Jane's firing is unfair after 5 years with almost no success is crazy. Maybe you would have kept her, but that doesn't mean that Schaus didn't have a very strong case for letting her go. By acting like the coach of the last place team in the conference DESERVES to be retained, you lose all credibility.

The worst part about your posts is that it makes it all the harder for others to make a rational defense of Jane, because you make Jane's supporters look irrational.

2. What is the world are you talking about at the end of your post? The grammar is so odd that I can't make sense of the sentences and I have no idea what you are alluding to about professors at WSU.
                          "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Ksooter:

I feel like you are female, and if female, you should know better than to write like that. Paragraphs start and end with one train of thought, and without a surplus of sentences. (shorten paragraphs and space inbetween please).

You, obviously, are basing your reationalizations on subjective feelings you have about the coach.

Bottom line - She did not win. She did not develop the talent she had. She had a losing record at Wisconsin when she came here. She did not redeem herself, and she is outta of here.

She is probably very nice as a person, she just did not do her job as a coach.
                            Her win-loss record supports that. When you are hired to do a job, and you don't do it, you do not get to keep it just because you are a nice person.

Comment

Sooter, you seem to have a good grasp of Jane. There is always something I have wondered....Please explain why she was run out of Wisconsin with a WINNING record?

Comment

I think someone has taken over for KCShox now.

Comment

Working...
                                X