Recruiting News 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
    I am glad to know that issue was considered by the staff, and all in all, I don't have a problem with it. In most cases, kids sign because of coaches, not because of schools. I absolutely understand that.

What bothers me (not by you, 72...just in general) is that Mark might have done the exact same thing that HCKA did, encouraging recruits to stay with Gregg but allowing Bowles to follow him when Bowles made final decision to not come to WSU. But because his situation was ultimately not advantageous to WSU, people might still be mad at Mark for that. However, because this case with the girls coming here after signing with UTEP is advantageous to WSU (and maybe because it is not as prominent being women's basketball), people won't have an issue with this.
    I don't want to get on a Mark Turgeon (digging up old dirt) tangent here but since 16 brought it up, I think that people here (who are so passionate for WSU basketball) were upset with MT for the program taking such a "sharp plunge" with a bad season and before he brings it back to where it should be (and where he promised), he leaves (thereby saving himself but not Shocker basketball). The program was in limbo and MT takes what appeared to be his best recruit (at least the one MT touted to be a major recruit) with him. MT needed to "wear" some of what went down, but more so because of the bad shape he left the program in. Gregg saved the program himself.

More importantly, congratulations to Coach KA for a nice recruiting class in a shortened recruiting season. One can certainly put on an optimistic spin on the future of the program that began this spring with this class. Next year's class is really important for KA to compete at the level of the AAC.

Comment

• I found HCKA's comments in the Eagle regarding Cesaria Ambrosio interesting as Sully reported that she was HCKA's top priority when she was hired at Wichita State. HCKA said she was a great passer and could play the point or could play the wings.

At 6-0 Cesaria towers over our returning point guards 5-5 Keke Thompson and 5-2 Aundra Stovall. Keke is very good at driving to the basket but her ability to shoot from the outside is reminiscent of Doug Gottlieb. In other words pretty bad. Aundra is a much better perimeter shooter than Keke but at 5-2 it isn't always easy for her to get her shots. Both I thought could be taken advantage of on defense by teams who had big guards. Sounds like Cesaria gives HCKA a weapon to counter that if an when those matchups occur. Especially with 6-1 Kayla Williams opting to transfer to Akransas State.

The last 6' player to play the point for WSU was pretty effective, that being Alex Harden. I don't expect Cesaria to be another Alex Harden but a 6-footer that can play the point can be quite effective.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; July 18, 2017, 10:56 AM.

Comment

• Really hope people don't overlook us getting chapell back and diamond lockhart. I see big seasons coming for them both imo

Comment

• Originally posted by mumdaddy316 View Post
          Really hope people don't overlook us getting chapell back and diamond lockhart. I see big seasons coming for them both imo
          Not surprising that Jaleesa and Diamond haven't been discussed on a recruiting thread. But it is good to have Jaleesa back. Hopefully, she has made a full recovery. I really hope she has a good year. She deserves it. A good team player whose return fits in nicely in replacing Taquandra Mike.

Not sure there is any reason to expect a big improvement from Diamond (A 5th year D-1 senior) unless you think HCKA's system will be more conducive to her game. Not sure I know what HCKA's system is. I do expect both 5th year seniors, Jaleesa and Diamond, to contribute strong leadership to the team which might be their most important roles.

In addition to Jaleesa I think the big wild cards are how will last year's Juco transfers fare in their 2nd year. That is where you are more likely to see a big jump in productivity IMHO. We have more than our fair share of those players. That includes Keke Thompson, Jeliah Preston, Tamara Lee and Angiee Tomkins.

Of course, with a new coaching staff on board all 14 players are pretty much starting out at square one in learning a new system. So how well each players adapts, learns and fits into that system will have a big impact on who will shine.
          Last edited by 1972Shocker; July 18, 2017, 11:45 AM.

Comment

• Keitha did a good job with the little time she had. As someone who regularly follows WBB, I'm pleased with her effort and results thus far.

Comment

• Originally posted by UCONN_Husky View Post
              Keitha did a good job with the little time she had. As someone who regularly follows WBB, I'm pleased with her effort and results thus far.
              It will be interesting to see what kind of haul Coach Keitha makes this November in the early signing period. One thing I'm not sure of is if she continues to recruit international players is how many of those players sign during the early signing period?

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                It will be interesting to see what kind of haul Coach Keitha makes this November in the early signing period. One thing I'm not sure of is if she continues to recruit international players is how many of those players sign during the early signing period?
                We know from her recruiting history that she will continue to recruit international players effectively. The Associate Head Coach is a fine example of a Juco AA. I'm not sure how much success Laskowska had at KSU but she most likely was a quality player.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                  We know from her recruiting history that she will continue to recruit international players effectively. The Associate Head Coach is a fine example of a Juco AA. I'm not sure how much success Laskowska had at KSU but she most likely was a quality player.
                  That would be my expectation. I see no reason to give up on what appears to be a bit of an edge. I'm just wondering the the timetable for signing international players will prove to be somewhat different from what we see with domestic recruits. I guess we will find out. I suppose we could look at the tennis programs for some guidance. They consist of mostly international players. Last year we added 3 freshman from overseas. I could not find anything announcing their commitment or signing. So that wasn't of much help.

Comment

• Apparently we got a verbal from a high school player but I can't find her name or the source

Comment

• Originally posted by mumdaddy316 View Post
                      Apparently we got a verbal from a high school player but I can't find her name or the source
                      Jaida Hampton, East Lansing, Michigan. See Class of 2018 recruiting thread.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; July 21, 2017, 10:31 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
                        I am glad to know that issue was considered by the staff, and all in all, I don't have a problem with it. In most cases, kids sign because of coaches, not because of schools. I absolutely understand that.

What bothers me (not by you, 72...just in general) is that Mark might have done the exact same thing that HCKA did, encouraging recruits to stay with Gregg but allowing Bowles to follow him when Bowles made final decision to not come to WSU. But because his situation was ultimately not advantageous to WSU, people might still be mad at Mark for that. However, because this case with the girls coming here after signing with UTEP is advantageous to WSU (and maybe because it is not as prominent being women's basketball), people won't have an issue with this.
                        I was critical of MT/Bowles for a couple of reasons. One of them was that it seems Bowles was going to ask for his release anyway, getting the idea he was too good for WSU and coach Turgeon. Then once Turgeon left for a school at the level DB thought himself worthy of, MT took him back. Kind of shameful in a sense. Have some pride, Mark!

The other issue I had is that WSU put all the resources into recruiting DB. aTm put no resources into him, prior to paying his scholarship.

I'm still not comfortable with the practice, but when those players come to my school, I feel like I have to accept them, even if under protest. Ideally, I'd like to see the NCAA institute a rule that a signed player cannot follow a head or assistant coach to another school. He can certainly ask for and receive his release, but must transfer to a school other than the coach's new school.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                          So what is the status of Ma'Qhi Berry, a 5-8 lefty guard out of Irving, Texas, who was the other player signed by HCKA at UTEP last November?

UTEP has a 2017-18 roster posted on its web site. Neither Asia Henderson nor Ma'Qhi Berry are listed. However, two other freshman including at least one recruited by HCKA's successor are listed.

Very possible that Ma'Qhi also received her release. Whether she will be following HCKA to Wichita State or looking elsewhere remains to be seen. Looking for any sign posts on that now.
                          I pretty much had concluded that Ma'Qhi Berry would not be following HCKA to Wichita State as Asia Henderson has.

This tweet seems to indicated she is heading to Long Beach State:

Under The Lights‏ @AdrianUTLB Jun 19

Congrats to my family Maqhi Berry on her verbal last week to @beachwbb ! Love you a ton Maqhi! Go to Cali and hold it down.

Comment

Working...
                          X