• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good to see we are on the trail, but who are we pursuing is the question

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
      Keitha Adams‏ @wsuKeithaAdams 19 hours ago

Day 2 recruiting in the booksNext stop Run 4

Not sure what the rose signifies. Perhaps that recruiting is a horse face. Run For the Roses = Kentucky Derby.

Or there is a big Showcase Tournament in Kentucky?

Comment

• Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
        Or there is a big Showcase Tournament in Kentucky?
        Yep. See the first two on this list.

Comment

• The blind squirrel stumbles across another acorn:

Asia Henderson
          Asia…South View…6-2…C…coached by Brent Barker…as senior, named All-Conf, Conf POY, All-Dist, FayObserver All-Region, Holiday Classic All-Tournament, Conf All-Tournament, Teammate of the Year, team MVP...Carolinas All-Star participant…averaged 16 points, 14 rebounds, 5.7 blocks…career stats: 1,017 points, 907 rebounds…as junior, named All-Conf, All-Dist, Conf All-Tournament…avgd 11.2 pts, 11.3 rebs, 3.5 blks…as sophomore, named Conf All-Tournament…avgd 7.2 pts, 5.1 rebs, 2 blks…also played volleyball, where she was named team MVP and All-Conf, and track and field…SGA pres.…1st Sgt in ROTC…Outstanding Senior Award recipient…ROTC: National Daughters of the American Revolution Award recipient
          …signed an athletic grant-in-aid with Wichita State where she will major in Biochemistry…Taraji P. Henson is her role model…favorite college athlete is Kaela Davis…favorite pro athlete is Candace Parker…says “I expect to gain confidence as I continue my next season at Wichita.”

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/high-school/article161564138.html

Interestingly Asia signed a LOI with UTEP last November so I assume she has received her release from UTEP although I have not been able to confirm that is the case.
          Here is the announcement of her UTEP signing.

From what I can tell Asia is not very highly ranked but she does look like a big, strong girl and appears to be a high-character recruit. Whether or not this aricle jumps the gun or not on her heading to WSU remains to be determined.
          Last edited by 1972Shocker; July 15, 2017, 06:47 PM.

Comment

• At this point we have 3 players who "appear" to be on their way to Wichtia State next season but nothing official has been reported.

Fanny Hakanson 5-9 G Alvik, Sweden
            Raven Prince 6-2 F Oklahoma City via Butler County CC
            Asia Henderson 6-2 F/C Hope Mill, NC (Previouly signed by HCKA/UTEP)

If these players do end up at WSU we will have a 12-player roster with 4 players at 6-2 plus Rangie Bessard at 6-1.
            Last edited by 1972Shocker; July 15, 2017, 06:48 PM.

Comment

• Page 29 of this flipbook reports that Asia did receive her release from UTEP and also reports she will be attending Wichita State.

Comment

• So what is the status of Ma'Qhi Berry, a 5-8 lefty guard out of Irving, Texas, who was the other player signed by HCKA at UTEP last November?

UTEP has a 2017-18 roster posted on its web site. Neither Asia Henderson nor Ma'Qhi Berry are listed. However, two other freshman including at least one recruited by HCKA's successor are listed.

Very possible that Ma'Qhi also received her release. Whether she will be following HCKA to Wichita State or looking elsewhere remains to be seen. Looking for any sign posts on that now.

If Ma'Qhi does follow HCKA to Wichita State I think that would pretty much put a wrap on Class of 2017 recruiting assuming Fanny Hakanson, Raven Prince and Asia Henderson all show up as well.

Here some highlight videos on this HUDL site of MaQhi who looks to be a long 5-8:

Watch MaQhi Berry's videos and highlights on Hudl. More info: Ranchview High School - Girls Varsity Basketball / PG, SG / Class of 2017 / Irving, TX

I would love to see her follow HCKA to Wichita State.
                Last edited by 1972Shocker; July 15, 2017, 05:15 PM.

Comment

• MaQhi Berry reminds me of a left-handed version of Haleigh Lankster a little bit. Haleigh also wore #21 (at Wichita State). However, Haleigh was more of a wing and MaQhi looks to be a point guard.

From what I gather MaQhi initially gave a verbal commitment to the University of San Francisco but withdrew that and re-opened her recruitment before signing the LOI with UTEP last November. Not seeing much on her since that point.
                  Last edited by 1972Shocker; July 15, 2017, 06:41 PM.

Comment

• Was anything "official" from WSU or the Eagle ever said about Kayla Williams? Assuming that she is transferring, the timing of her departure was a little odd. I thought she was a keeper. With the impending move of WSU to the AAC (she's from Memphis?) and the background of HCKA, just surprised.

Comment

• I have not seen or heard anything official on Kayla and also thought she was a keeper. However, it looks like Kayla, who would have been a sophomore at Wichita State, has transferred (very quietly) to Arkansas State.

Arkansas State is only about an hour drive up I-55/I-555 from Kayla's home town of Memphis which could have had a lot to do with Kayla's decision. Kayla will have to sit out next season. I wish Kayla well.

BTW, the Shocks beat Arkansas State 69-51 last year in Koch Arena at the annual Schoolhouse Screamfest Game.
                      Last edited by 1972Shocker; July 15, 2017, 07:23 PM.

Comment

• Will need all the size we can get to battle with these teams in this new conference

Comment

• Originally posted by mumdaddy316 View Post
                          Will need all the size we can get to battle with these teams in this new conference
                          Many UCONN fans think this year's team could potentially be the best that UCONN's ever had, and the conference will definitely be the best it's ever been. USF, Temple, and UCF should all be tournament teams. Also, look for Tulane and SMU to make some noise. Very possibly a 5 bid league. #AmericanPow6r

Comment

• Granted, we are discussing different sports, but the concept is still the same.

I seem to remember people totally up in arms when Denzel Bowles followed Mark to College Station. If I am reading this correctly, it appears to me that HCKA is doing the exact same thing with a couple of UTEP recruits. Now, I don't necessarily have a problem with HCKA doing this. I just remember Mark getting hammered for it.

Please be consistent. That's all I ask.
                            78-65

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
                              Granted, we are discussing different sports, but the concept is still the same.

I seem to remember people totally up in arms when Denzel Bowles followed Mark to College Station. If I am reading this correctly, it appears to me that HCKA is doing the exact same thing with a couple of UTEP recruits. Now, I don't necessarily have a problem with HCKA doing this. I just remember Mark getting hammered for it.

This seems somewhat like a blanket indictment which may or may not apply to individual posters on this thread. Since I am the primary poster of this information today I assume this is directed at me. Quite frankly I don't recall criticizing Coach Turgeon for the Denzel Bowles situation but maybe I did. However, if you feel HCKA should be criticized for this feel free to do so.

My feeling is if a player decides to back out on a commitment to a school because the Coach that recruited them has left, voluntarily or otherwise, it really makes no difference to me if they follow that coach or go somewhere else. The result to the school they have left behind is the same. Now if the Coach they follow actively recruited them to make that change I assume that is a violation of the rules if the player has signed an LOI which my understanding precludes coaches from recruiting them.

Asia Henderson had signed an LOI so if Keitha Adams proactively encouraged her to request her release from UTEP that would be a problem. Once Asia had her release then I have no problem with Keitha recruiting her to Wichita State.

Same is true for MaQhi Berry although I have no idea whether Keitha is pursuing her or if the player has any interest in coming to Wichita State. However, once she has her release (again assuming no influence from Keitha in gaining that release) she is fair game.

Typically, if a school believes a coach has been tampering with players that are under an LOI they will not grant a release to that coach's school and I believe that is a legitimate reason for such a restriction.

Now should a Coach that is leaving a program encourage their recruits to stay with that program? I suppose that should be decided on a case-by-case basis and should be made based on what is in the best interest of the student athlete although that is probably not always going to happen. I would generally defer to the player and their families to make the call as to what is in their best interest although they don't always make the right call either.
                              Last edited by 1972Shocker; July 16, 2017, 01:32 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
                                Granted, we are discussing different sports, but the concept is still the same.

I don't like the practice, but did say that it will most likely happen in HCKA's case.

I did hammer MT, but for a little different reason. Denzel was pulling away from WSU before MT left as there were those who had his ear and told him he was P5/Major material. When MT left, Bowles could now commit to both Mark and a major. MT knew Bowles was not that level, but took him anyway. He preceded to sit at the end of the bench, not playing, and then transferred to James Madison.

Comment

Working...
                                X