No announcement yet.

Trouble again for Jody Adams?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What kind of idiot made a contract like this? What kind of idiot made a contract like this AFTER knowledge of previous incidents with the agreed-upon party?

And to think of all the people that got their panties in a wad when I bagged on Sexton for him being in over his head as an athletic director. Well, he has left quite the legacy with his work here.
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

We can be 6-10 with you as easily as we can be without you. #ByeFelicia

Comment

looking for her contract I found this:

In July, Adams signed a five-year contract, automatically extended each year, that pays her a base salary of $221,772.48. She is due a raise of $20,000 each year. The contract does include a section that allows WSU to suspend or terminate Adams for “good cause,” including professional misconduct, failure to supervise her coaching staff and provide oversight of the program and violation of NCAA rules.

Comment

2 outcomes would surprise me:

(1) Jody weathers the storm and is still the coach next year; or

(2) Jody is fired for cause.

Even if the AD is confident they can shitcan her for cause, I believe we would offer a resignation package with a lump sum representing just a fraction of the contract's buyout. Much cleaner for all parties.

OTOH, if the new disclosures are sensational enough, I suppose university counsel may have no choice.

Comment

I'm betting the old saying "3rd time is a charm" comes into play here.. She's gone.

Comment

I think it would be best for everyone if they part ways in some way, shape, or form. This can't keep going on.

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock View Post
                I think it would be best for everyone if they part ways in some way, shape, or form. This can't keep going on.
                I wouldn't argue against the statement that this may be best for the program. However, if you read the article today, Rangie Bassard spoke up and said something to the effect that they won with the spirit of Coach Jody with them. The article also mentioned that a player who was transferring, and other players spoke to Boatright. It's not clear what is happening but even if Adams has been trying to improve and "get the animals back into the barn" so to speak, it sometimes is difficult to do it. Some players may support her fiercely and others not, but everyone has heard about the "elephant in the room" and Adams may be in a no win situation.

The only thing I will say that may sound like it favors Adams, but I really have no opinion, is that I know someone who is very close to the program, and who I trust, who believes in Adams. She doesn't say much, but still definitely believes in Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                  ... if you read the article today, Rangie Bassard spoke up and said something to the effect that they won with the spirit of Coach Jody with them. The article also mentioned that a player who was transferring, and other players spoke to Boatright. It's not clear what is happening but ... Adams may be in a no win situation.
                  Not to put words in your mouth, but I am developing a similar sense. Ellie is unhappy, the conversations with staff regarding her leaving do not go smoothly, Ellie takes her complaints to ADDB, in an abundance of caution, he sits Jody this weekend. The boycott of practice Tuesday is the event I can't make fit in this scenario. But then from the Ellie article given below, there may have been a boycott or there may have been a meeting called by ADDB during practice time or it may be something else. The article says "boycott," but ... .

For reference,

Ellie leaving

Bradley game article

Comment

Originally posted by shockerfanmas View Post
                    There are quite a few coaches that I feel would adequately replace Jody Adams, who I've never been a fan of. Lane Lord at Pitt State would be my #1 choice. After him, you've got Jory Collins at Emporia State, John Ontjes at Hutch, Toby Wynn at Seward, and even Antwain Scales at South. Unfortunately, Scales and Ontjes come with some baggage, but you couldn't go wrong with any of the choices IMO. I think we're all of the consensus that Jody needs to be shown the door, and quickly. She has long worn out her welcome here.
                    How about Lynette Woodard? I don't know how good a head coach she is, and of course sometimes exceptional players don't fare so well in that role. But no one has a bigger name around here; if you counted the most outstanding athletic figures ever produced by Wichita on your fingers, you'd get to her before finishing one hand.

Besides, isn't she at Winthrop now? The last time WSU looked in that direction it worked out pretty well.

Comment

Maybe I only posted on those because it hit very close to home.Eric was very good at cover things up.

Comment

Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
                        How about Lynette Woodard? I don't know how good a head coach she is, and of course sometimes exceptional players don't fare so well in that role. But no one has a bigger name around here; if you counted the most outstanding athletic figures ever produced by Wichita on your fingers, you'd get to her before finishing one hand.

Besides, isn't she at Winthrop now? The last time WSU looked in that direction it worked out pretty well.
                        I have a great deal of admiration for what Lynette Woodard has accomplished in her basketball career at a time when opportunities for Women BB players were not that great. Assuming that Wichita State will even have a job opening to fill which is not the case at this point and may or may not be the case anytime soon I think Lynette Woodard would be an intriguing but perhaps risky way to go. But it would also perhaps generate as much local fan interest in WSU WBB as anything in its history. But that interest could fade quickly if Lynette was not successful.

That said, There are some caveats that would come with hiring Lynette. Lynette is 57 years old and only has limited coaching experience. She was an assistant coach at KU from 1999-2003 and interim head coach in 2004 when Marian Washington retired for health reasons. She has not been back in coaching until she started at Winthrop this year. I don't think her age is that big of deal althouhg I am not sure how many of the kids she would be recruiting would really have any idea who she was. She looks like she is in excellent health and physical condition and she would be unlikely to leave for another job. So if you could get 6 - 8 year out of her you would be in good shape. She would need to hire an experienced assistant and with a good recruiting background. Former Shocker assistant Kristy Guffey comes to mind but I don't know if she would have any interest after the way she was treated by Jody.

Of course, go through an exhaustive coaching search to get the Coach with the best resume and best fit for your program is no guarantee as most college programs has often experienced. Look at KU. Two years ago Jody was one of the 3 finalists for the KU job until the previous turmoil surrounding Jody became public. KU ended up hiring Brandon Schneider out of Stephen F. Austin. That hasn't gone so well early on. After going 15-17 (6-12 in Big 12 play) in the final year of the previous coaching regime KU has gone 12-37 (0-25 in Big 12 play) in Coach Schneider's year and a half at the helm and they may again go winless this year in Big 12 play. Maybe he will work out yet but the start is not good. Maybe KU would like to take a 2nd look at Jody but I don't think even KU could be that dumb.

You mentioned great players don't always make great coaches. That is true, especially great players with little or nor coaching experience. We only have to look at the Shocks' own conference for Exhibit A in that regard. Sheryll Swoopes was a disaster at Loyola. IIRC she had no coaching experience.

On the positive side Lynette as been employed by Wichita State. She spent the last 3 years working with the TRIO and GEAR-UP programs at Wichita State before taking the assistant coaching job at Winthrop while caring for her mother who was in ill-health and passed away in December.

Personally I think hiring Lynette would be a risky hire but what does WSU WBB really have to lose. I would be surprised though if they would go that route. Just not enough experience and no real recruiting connections. An interesting out-of-the-box choice but perhaps a bit too far out-of-the-box.

Besides we just may be stuck with Jody unless we have a mass exodus of players like Swoopes had at Loyola. I don't sense that things are quite to that point at WSU.
                        Last edited by 1972Shocker; January 22, 2017, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
                          Not to put words in your mouth, but I am developing a similar sense. Ellie is unhappy, the conversations with staff regarding her leaving do not go smoothly, Ellie takes her complaints to ADDB, in an abundance of caution, he sits Jody this weekend. The boycott of practice Tuesday is the event I can't make fit in this scenario. But then from the Ellie article given below, there may have been a boycott or there may have been a meeting called by ADDB during practice time or it may be something else. The article says "boycott," but ... .
                          I could see why Ellie would want to leave the program. She had only played 50 minutes in 17 games and perhaps was in a bit over her head at the D-1 level. The only thing that raises an eyebrow is why she didn't pull the trigger between semesters. What happened to push her to make that decision at this point in time? I have no idea why the coaching staff would have not be supportive of player buried at the end of the bench wanting to move on unless they were worried about questions being asked. Seems to me that if they would have said fine and dandy and we will help you find a spot to continue playing I don't think Ellie leaving the program would have made much of a splash. I wonder if she did try to leave at semester and they talked her out of it. Jyar Francis leaving the program did not raise many questions. Sounded like she was homesick and she did do what she said she was going to do by transferring closer to home. In fact, she is back in her hometown of Hammond, LA at Southeastern Lousiana. Jyar was a much more hyped player out of H.S. than was Ellie. Again Ellie Lehne moving on, in and of itself, would not have been a big news story.

I agree with you that the team "boycott" of practice is the event that seems way out of the ordinary and hard to tie in with Ellie's decision to leave. As usual we are operating without all the facts and those missing pieces make it pretty impossible to complete the puzzle.
                          Last edited by 1972Shocker; January 22, 2017, 09:19 PM.

Comment

2 games and 2 wins in for Kirk.

Comment

Per Paul Jody is out as coach

Comment

Linda Hargrove will finish the rear as the head coach

Comment

Working...
                                X