Trouble again for Jody Adams?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mjbaker84 View Post
    doesn't help that they haven't been anywhere near as good the last 2 years compared to ALEX HARDEN'S 3 year run of dominance
    FIFY.

Comment

Originally posted by WheatShock View Post
      Sad, but it seems like we may be about to pay the price for kicking the can down the road 2 years ago.
      The price will be the same, $500,000 buyout, unless this time they have the balls to take the position they are firing Jody for cause. And who knows it may not be that big of a deal. But this is about the 3rd time in Jody's relatively young coaching career her teams have been on the verge of boycotting. Once when she was Dana Eikenberg's assistant at SIU and now twice at WSU.

Will see if she can survive this time around. Loyola cut the cord with legendary player turned Coach Sheryll Swoopes the 1st time around. But I don't think they were anywhere close to a $500,000 buyout bill.

One of the worst things about Eric Sexton was the ridiculously pro-coach contracts he gave to Jody Adams and Todd Butler. Both programs are taking on water at a fast rate and fan support has fallen off the cliff but the checks keep flowing to those two coaches like clockwork.

Hopefully, Boatwright will take this more seriously then Sexton alhtough it his hard to say how much of hand Dr. Bardo had in the sitatuion a couple years ago.

I think Jody would love to leave WSU but she has become somewhat radioactive not only to recruits but to potential new employers as well.

It will be interesting to see how the team responds this weekend with Jody not in the building. They have played very poor and very uninspired basektabll over the past 3 games. Something just did not seem right with this team and obviously something wasn't right.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; January 20, 2017, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
        Guessing they'll be very careful to make sure they can terminate for cause for leverage purposes when negotiating the resignation. 2 years left on that buyout is better than 4, but it's still a lot of $$$ for a starving program that was already at its payroll ceiling.
        Her buyout is $500,000 thanks to the legacy of Eric Sexton. Her contract renews automatically every year (just like 3G's) so she always has a 5-year contract at around $250,000 per year (with guaranteed annual increases far, far exceeding inflation and without regard to performance). The buyout is a flat $500,000 unless fired for cause. Now Jody might be willing to negotiate for a lower sum if it means salvaging what is left of her reputation and coaching future. That will depend on how serious this situation is. Hard to believe it is as bad as what went on the last time around. Last time Jody lawyered up big time and I think intimated the players and the administration.

One big difference this time around is that the team is pretty bad and the attendance is even worse. Last time Jody was coming off 3 consecutive Valley regular season and tournament championships courtesy of Alex Harden and Kelsey Jacobs.

Jody's contract is way, way too generous IMHO but it is what it is thanks to Eric Sexton (and I suppose Becky Endicott as well).
        Last edited by 1972Shocker; January 20, 2017, 03:37 PM.

Comment

BTW, I thought the allegations against Jody last time around were atrocious and most likely true. About the only thing that ever happened to Jody was a public reprimand for punishing/humiliating her players on the court at haltime of a game which was probably one of the more minor things that happened (but it was in public for the fans to see). Of course, that was followed up with her current sweetheart contract (you can tell that bugs the hell out of me - it was just so dumb and unnecessary).

This time we already have a two-game suspension (at least) levied by ADDB. Whether that indicates a more serious set of circumstances, or more likely, a more serious AD remains to be seen.

Comment

I've said it before. This should have ended two years ago. Now the reconstruction of the program goes beyond a few tweaks here and there. Our prior AD wears this one--DB needs to fix now

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
              BTW, I thought the allegations against Jody last time around were atrocious and most likely true. About the only thing that ever happened to Jody was a public reprimand for punishing/humiliating her players on the court at haltime of a game which was probably one of the more minor things that happened (but it was in public for the fans to see). Of course, that was followed up with her current sweetheart contract (you can tell that bugs the hell out of me - it was just so dumb and unnecessary).

This time we already have a two-game suspension (at least) levied by ADDB. Whether that indicates a more serious set of circumstances, or more likely, a more serious AD remains to be seen.
              Spot on brother

Comment

So the team boycotted practice on Tuesday. That's a step beyond what the players ever did as a team the last go round. We know Jody won't be coaching this weekend. I wonder if she was allowed to participate in practices on Wednesday and Thursday?

I miss @oldtimewomen's hoopcoach giving us the skinny he gathered on his daily walks at Koch Arena.

More importantly maybe the players miss having a team grandpa they could vent to. Hopefully, ADDB will take this more seriously than the previous administration although Dr. Bardo may have some influence on that as well.
                Last edited by 1972Shocker; January 20, 2017, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Maybe my wounds are deep

Comment

I'm taking the totally speculative position that Jody managed to stick around 2 years ago with certain "addendums" to the "for cause" clauses in her contract. Once I've jumped to that conclusion, it's easy to think Boatright is taking some time to see if the latest incident triggers a for cause termination.
                    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                      I'm taking the totally speculative position that Jody managed to stick around 2 years ago with certain "addendums" to the "for cause" clauses in her contract. Once I've jumped to that conclusion, it's easy to think Boatright is taking some time to see if the latest incident triggers a for cause termination.
                      This is what I'm thinking as well. Basically, we (WSU) are giving notice that with all the other aids in place, any more of these actions by you will trigger cause.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                        Certainly possible. Who knows. In any case the program may have deteriorated to the point that ADDB might be able to make a case that buying out Jody (if they have to) may actually be the most financially astute move to make at this time.

The thing is that in addition to the $500,000 buyout Jody's contract included a $400,000 annuity at the end of the 2018-19 season and was supposed to have negotiated a 2nd annuity by the start of this season although I don't recall any announcement about that. The low interest rate environment makes those annuities more expensive. Not to mention that Jody's contract provided for annual raises of $20,000 plus at least 4% of her base salary (for what?). Based on these annual raises her base salary would be up to $345,000 by the 2018-19 season. 5 years after that her base salary would have grown to $505,000 minimum. Jody clearly has a lot to fight for.

Maybe Sexton/Endicott or whoever was responsible for this oustanding contract work were betting that Jody would be gone (or they would be) well before anyone finally realized what they had done.

My guess is that this time around we may see some kind of negotiated settlement allowing Jody to save face by saying she believes it is best for her to move on to other challenges.
                        Last edited by 1972Shocker; January 20, 2017, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                          So the team boycotted practice on Tuesday. That's a step beyond what the players ever did as a team the last go round. We know Jody won't be coaching this weekend. I wonder if she was allowed to participate in practices on Wednesday and Thursday?

I miss @oldtimewomen's hoopcoach giving us the skinny he gathered on his daily walks at Koch Arena.

More importantly maybe the players miss having a team grandpa they could vent to. Hopefully, ADDB will take this more seriously than the previous administration although Dr. Bardo may have some influence on that as well.
                          Thanks 1972, I am still keeping an eye on this, though I just can't walk the concourse as I've been so disheartened by the treatment of these fine young-women. That and my basketball knees are not quite the same. I stay in touch occasionally with our former Shocker Greats (i.e. Kelsey and Alex) if this saga goes on, I may chime in as you probably assume I have some scoop on this and I hope this board knows I've been credible. In My opinion, it's over and the A.D. will make the correct decision.

Comment

I am reading between the lines, but I would assume that being "replaced" instead of "suspended" for 2 games means that they are giving her the option to resign (with some severance package being offered) or be fired. If the team is willing to boycott practice - it means she has lost control and there is nothing salvageable. If they keep her on, the true cost to the university will be much higher than getting rid of her.

Comment

Originally posted by oldtimewomen's hoopcoach View Post
                              In My opinion, it's over and the A.D. will make the correct decision.
                              I certainly hope you are right about that.
                              Last edited by 1972Shocker; January 21, 2017, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                                I am reading between the lines, but I would assume that being "replaced" instead of "suspended" for 2 games means that they are giving her the option to resign (with some severance package being offered) or be fired. If the team is willing to boycott practice - it means she has lost control and there is nothing salvageable. If they keep her on, the true cost to the university will be much higher than getting rid of her.
                                That is unusual wording although in the Eagle article it wasn't in quotes so it could just be the wording of the Eagle Staff writer who wrote the article. That said I think your reading between the lines is entirely plausible and I agree with your final statement.

The article it the Sunflower doesn't use the replace terminology. But it doesn't say suspension either. Also interesting that the term "indefinite" wasn't used. ADDB crafted his words very carefully.

Jason Albrecht read ADDB's statement in full on Sports Daily.
                                Last edited by 1972Shocker; January 20, 2017, 06:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X