Aliphine and Kellyn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
    Is it my imagination but do athletes who immigrated to the United States seem much more grateful for the United States and honored to represent the United States than do home grown athletes who seem take their country for granted and consider themselves entitled. That may also apply to people in general although there are always exceptions.
    Facts.
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
      Is it my imagination but do athletes who immigrated to the United States seem much more grateful for the United States and honored to represent the United States than do home grown athletes who seem take their country for granted and consider themselves entitled. That may also apply to people in general although there are always exceptions.
      Yes and most of the people that take the US for granted have zero to little world travel experience.

Comment

There have been a good number of native born Olympians who have been very respectful of the flag and Anthem. A canoe racing gold medalist, from Seattle of all places was very respectful when interviewed, and when the N.A. was played while on the podium (placing a hand over her heart). The track runners have all been respectful that I've seen, etc. The Soccer team was an exception, but that's really all I've heard about (maybe women's basketball), although I haven't been paying a lot of attention to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post
          There have been a good number of native born Olympians who have been very respectful of the flag and Anthem. A canoe racing gold medalist, from Seattle of all places was very respectful when interviewed, and when the N.A. was played while on the podium (placing a hand over her heart). The track runners have all been respectful that I've seen, etc. The Soccer team was an exception, but that's really all I've heard about (maybe women's basketball), although I haven't been paying a lot of attention to it.
          I should have said some home grown athletes. I don't think it is the majority. It just seems like it because they get all the press. Just like Ilhan Omar, on the other side of the equation, gets all the press as an imigrant who hates the country. In my experience she is definitely in the minority in that regard.

Comment

In any case, wouldn't it be wonderful if Aliphine medaled. Not expecting that especially with her coming off a pregnancy and child birth. But that would be so cool.
            Last edited by 1972Shocker; August 6, 2021, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Aliphine starts in about an hour. As she notes, the start time will be 6 am Tokyo time.

Comment

You can follow the race live here beginning at 4:00 pm CDT

https://stream.nbcolympics.com/track...omens-marathon

Comment

Go Aliphine!

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Runner's World Pre-Race Piece on Aliphine

Aliphine Tuliamuk

Olympic Marathon Trials champion Aliphine Tuliamuk has likely had the most eventful road to Tokyo, giving birth to a baby girl in January and having about six months to get ready for the biggest race of her life. “Training is coming along nicely,” Flagstaff-based Tuliamuk said in a phone interview. The sentiment was backed up by recent tweets with footage from a 26-miler and a 20 x 300-meter workout in 88-degree heat. She’s still waiting for her legs to feel “smooth and bouncy,” but was optimistic they’d come around in her next few workouts.

Tuliamuk’s only race this year was the Peachtree Road Race on July 4, which doubled as this year’s U.S. 10K Championships. She finished sixth in 32:41, which she said was better than she expected. “It was hard, though,” she added, “and I realized that I need to relearn being in pain for a long time and being okay with it.”

In Sapporo, Tuliamuk’s goal is simple: to race well and smart. However it unfolds, she’s thrilled that her in-person support crew will include baby Zoe.

Comment

• Anotherr article on Aliphine in Runner's World:

The Trials Made Her a Marathon Champion. Motherhood Made Her Unstoppable.

https://www.runnersworld.com/runners...ials-champion/

Last edited by 1972Shocker; August 6, 2021, 04:27 PM.

Comment

• Did anyone catch what place she was in at that last marker?

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                          Did anyone catch what place she was in at that last marker?
                          66th 18:17 15 seconds behind the leader

Comment

• Tracking the splits: https://results.nbcolympics.com/trac...rathon/1714905

Aliphine is in 66th place at tthe 5K mark. Her time is 18:17 which is 15 seconds behind the leader at that point. 88% of the race still ahead.

Comment

• Hopefully she can find a groove that will get her back up among the lead pack.

Comment

• There we got a shot of Aliphine.

Comment

Working...
                                X