No announcement yet.

Aliphine and Kellyn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thought I'd bump this with Aliphine already in the Olympic field and Kellyn going for her chance tomorrow at the trials.

I found this interesting link that shows Aliphine's training log as she gets ready for the Olympics. For those who didn't know, she gave birth in January, so it's a pretty amazing feat for her to retrain and be ready to compete at the highest level in August.

A free online training log for athletes of all types including runners, triathletes, cyclists, swimmers and their coaches. Great for teams and clubs. Find coaches and training plans online!

Comment

Kellen is one of 44 in the finals tomorrow.

She’s also only one of 12 in the field with the Olympic standard time.

The 10k goes at 10am tomorrow, 12 our time. Best I can tell, if there’s live coverage it’s online. I don’t see coverage until 8pm on NBC.

Happy to see Emma Coburn and Courtney Frehricks make the Steeplechase team and looking forward to Jenna Prandini in the 200. The trials is always a fantastic meet.

Comment

Saw Aliphine's situation discussed in this article yesterday. Tough choice for many of the athletes as of now. Hopefully things can be worked out for them.

Comment

Yeah, they definitely should not be separating moms from children under four. They should be allowed to bring a second caretaker and any kids 4 and under. That's just too obvious though.
          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Kellyn has lost contact with the lead group of about 10 or so with 11 laps to go, unfortunately.

Comment

She's 16th moving up just 1 spot with less than 9 laps to go. Would take a borderline miracle to get into the top 10.

Comment

Impressive run from Emily Sisson to win the 10K in a meet record 31:03.82 and 27 seconds below the Olympic standard. Given the conditions (85+ in Eugene) a very sharp performance.

She'll be joined by Karissa Schweizer and Alicia Monson. All 3 had the standard and were under the standard today as well. Looks like around a top 15 time all time for a USA woman.

Kellyn managed to finish 12th but was more than a minute and a half behind. Good luck to all going forward!

Edit: 12th fastest American time ever in the women's 10k. Only 7 American women have been faster (including herself) and 2 of those, Schweizer and Cranny, she beat today.

The other 6 are Molly Huddle, Deena Kastor, Shalane Flannigan, Kara Goucher, Elise Cranny & Karissa Schweizer.

Flannigan holds the American record (and the 25th fastest time ever) at 30:13.17 in finishing 6th at the Rio Olympics.

And there's your women's 10K useless trivia for the day. You're welcome.
                Last edited by WuDrWu; June 26, 2021, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Just watched the Marathon Olympic Trials which were actually held last Feb 2020 just before the world shut down.

As mentioned before, the winner was former Shocker Aliphine Tuliamuk (Kellyn Taylor was in the lead pack for 20 miles or so before falling back and finishing in the top 15 I think).

Alihpine was so grateful, so polite, so happy to show her pride in being able to represent this great country that has given her a home and her family opportunity.

It's just refreshing, and awesome. Former Shocker or not. Good luck in Japan Aliphine!

Comment

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post
                      This should also go under the Olympics topic. Great story and very well done!

Comment

RH: Tuliamuk Remembered for Her Wisdom, Humor and Toughness

https://goshockers.com/news/2021/8/4...toughness.aspx

A couple of excerpts:

Steve Rainbolt (director of track and field and cross country): What a tough person. She would not be denied.

At lots and lots of programs around the country, the developing distance runners on the men's side will sometimes run with the great female distance runners to help pace them. Here at Wichita State, it was not only the developing distance runners on the men's side, it was the upper-level guys like Tomas Cotter, who was an All-American for us.

He didn't want to do it. She was too tough. She ran in such a way that it was difficult for even some of our top guys to hang with her on some of the workouts. She was just an unbelievable grinder and held herself to an unbelievably high standard.

Kirk Hunter (distance coach at Wichita State): She needed to go to Boston to get a qualifier for the 3,000 meters to go to the NCAA Championships (in 2012). She was determined to get it. Looking around, Boston (BU Terrier Invitational) was the only place we could find anybody to race. Finding people to race Aliphine was very difficult. They just didn't exist back then.

We get there and she gets sick. She's really getting sick. Very sick. Then, she was also upset because there were family issues at home she was very concerned about. You just never see Aliphine have issues like that. It was bad enough . . . I told Aliphine "Why don't we just go home."

The next day, I get up and she's even worse. She was determined she was going to do it. She said, "I've got to try." She warms up and she's ready to go and you can tell she's struggling.

She gets on the line, gun goes off, and she ran great. I think it was a 23-second PR (personal record) that day, almost won the race against the pro athlete that out-leaned her right at the line. Qualified for the NCAA Championships. Walks over, does her interview with FloTrack, keeping her smile up and everything. As soon as the camera goes off, she basically collapses because she's so sick. I know I helped her out of that place.

Comment

I have no feel of how well Aliphine will do in the Olympics. However, just the fact she will be in the competition just 7 months have giving birth to her 1st child is quite amazing to me. Between that and fighting for the right to have her child with her in Tokyo she is already a big story and a positive story.

An induction ceremony into the Shocker Sports Hall of Fame should be right around the corner. Perhaps in this coming year's class.

Comment

Comment

Is it my imagination but do athletes who immigrated to the United States seem much more grateful for the United States and honored to represent the United States than do some home grown athletes who seem take their country for granted and consider themselves entitled. That may also apply to people in general although there are always exceptions.
                              Last edited by 1972Shocker; August 6, 2021, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                                Is it my imagination but do athletes who immigrated to the United States seem much more grateful for the United States and honored to represent the United States than do home grown athletes who seem take their country for granted and consider themselves entitled. That may also apply to people in general although there are always exceptions.
                                I've had the same impression. Those immigrants actually have perspective of what life is like outside the U.S. The native-born malcontents have no idea.

Comment

Working...
                                X