No announcement yet.

i know lutz is not popular here...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am just not sure where some people are seeing improvement with Jane's teams.

I don't see it statistically and I don't see it on the court.

Win-Loss Records and Scoring Margin Over Her 5 years (assuming we win 3 more games this year) will be:

2003-04: 10-18 (0.357) Overall; 7-11 (0.389) MVC; -3.9 Margin
    2004-05: 5-22 (0.185) Overall; 2-16 (0.111) MVC; -12.8 Margin
    2005-06: 15-13 (0.536) Overall; 8-10 (0.444) MVC; +0.3 Margin
    2006-07: 9-20 (0.310) Overall; 4-14 (0.222) MVC; -3.3 Margin
    2007-08: 10-20 (0.333) Overall; 4-14 (0.222) MVC; -9.8 Margin to Date

The MVC is not exactly a powerhouse women's conference, yet we have not yet had even a 0.500 MVC record under Jane.

Note that the last two teams have been very experienced teams. The 2007-2008 team has 4 Seniors and 4 Juniors most of whom played substantial minutes as freshman and sophomores.

The 2003-04 team she inherited and which was absolutely horrible according to trufan has been her second best team. Better than either of HER own very experienced teams of 2006-07 and 2007-08.

Keep in mind that Jane was the FIRST WSU womnen's coach to benefit form the tremendous improvements and upgrades resulting from the Roundhouse Renaissance and she had this benefit from Day 1.

Jane publicly admitted that last year's team was "HORRIBLY" coached.

There is really nothing to indicate that another year under Jane's leadership will be significantly better than the last two year's. In fact, we could actually take another step backwards next year.

I wish I could have trufan's optimism, but I just don't see it.

Comment

Let's say that Jim Schaus gives Jane another year. How effective will she be able to recruit with the uncertainty surrounding her job sitiuation?

My guess is she is going to find it even more difficult to sign quality players.

Comment

Disgusted

Let me start by saying I have not read any of the posts regarding this article.

I really do not know what to say. I have been an Albright supporter from Day 1. At times I was the only supporter on this website.

I thought D. Smith was classless although the man won games. I thought Albright could do the same but with some class. And did win - some times. However, this article has me completely disgusted. And now I understand what Badgers fans did not like about her.

In the past I typically disagreed with people like Jabili, ictshockolate (sp?), spangler fan, etc. While I stick by my previous posts, I am here to say that I am in their corner eating the biggest plate of crow...anyone have some salt?

Albright makes the remark:

"It's all very fair, the expectations," she said. "It didn't happen quick, and I am the reason it didn't happen quick."
        I honestly do not know what to say about that. She is literally saying that she is the reason WSU had such terrible years. Sure you can say that’s not what she means. She means that the process has been slow because she wanted to do it right. SHOULDN'T WE SEE CONSISTENT IMPROVEMENT THEN? Almost leading the country in turnovers per game is not improvement.

Albright then says this:

She also said she and her coaching staff now understand how to win in the MVC.
        So apparently after 5 years of being average and this year being 1-7, Albright knows how to win in the MVC. What an embarrassment. I honestly am speechless.

Then this:

"Last year, when I watched my team play we were horribly coached," she said. "I have corrected those things, and that's all I can do."
        I am not sure what some of you think you know. But the previous coaches left for 2 reasons. Jane would not listen to them and they each moved up in positions. What exactly did she correct? They still look horribly coached on the court, it just looks different now. For example, the defense is better but the offense is worst. The guard play is horrendous. Post is okay but that was to be expected with Wells graduating. God I miss her.

Finally to wrap it up:

I am pretty confident that he's not going to get a better coach than I am," she said. "If he let me go now and said 'go away,' they're going to pay me a whole lot of money. And who are they going to bring in? I can get it done."
        You know what she’s right.....who on earth could we possibly bring in here to that would do better. I mean, who could teach the guards to shoot any better than the bottom of the conference. Who could possibly teach them not to turnover the ball so many times? Who could be up for such a task?

I am completely embarrassed to be a supporter of Shocker athletics. My checkbook has officially closed for WSU Women's basketball.

Comment

WICHITA -- Wichita State (8-13, 2-7) used a game-high 24 points from Kiki Stephens and four Jacie Hoyt free throws in the final seconds to win its fifth-straight game over Missouri State (6-14, 4-5), 73-69, Saturday afternoon inside Charles Koch Arena.

:good:
          "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

On the area talent leaving problem, just how many girls in the past say 10 years have gone elsewhere? I can think of two right off the top of my head that went to SWOMO. I understand girls heading up the road to Manhattan, they are a good program up there and in state. But for the girls to leave the state and go to another MVC school is ridiculous. Smith really didn't do a good job of keeping them here either and should keep part of the blame. There have been good players in the city league that have jetted for other schools as well.

Until a coaching change is made, this will never be fixed. Jim Little, at least, would be able to recruit the area. He did for a long time at his previous jobs.

Comment

rrshock-- I was once a Wichita metro-area 17-year-old who was being recruited to Wichita State (many moons ago, we'll say!). I chose to go elsewhere, not as an indictment of WSU, but rather to get away from home for awhile and see what it was like. I just imagine a fair number of these players now who go away have similar thoughts.

Comment

first of all, let me say i'm officially stunned...shocker lady and i have finally agreed.(btw...jabali, not jibili...but that's ok!)and don't worry about the crow...we've all eaten some.AND i'm pleased that the girls won today...to me, it does show that there is talent on the team

but keep jane? no.

Comment

Her whole problem is the inability to recruit a dominate big girl. She needs to get a 6"4" or taller center that can score and be intimidating on defense. Antoinette Wells was close, but I'm not seeing a multi-talented center this year. If she can pull in a tall athletic center with another light-it-up guard, then maybe one more year, but if the recruits aren't there then time to start fresh.

Comment

Originally posted by KBShocker
                    Her whole problem is the inability to recruit a dominate big girl. She needs to get a 6"4" or taller center that can score and be intimidating on defense. Antoinette Wells was close, but I'm not seeing a multi-talented center this year. If she can pull in a tall athletic center with another light-it-up guard, then maybe one more year, but if the recruits aren't there then time to start fresh.
                    The problem is that a good coach adjusts to the talent available rather than stick with his or her "system." Gregg Marshall is starting to take advantage of the talent available rather than blindly follow his system. Mark Turgeon did not adjust well; if our 2005-6 team was so good, why wasn't the 2004-5 team better than its record. Imagine what Marshall could have done with Kyle Wilson, etc.

Jane's system seems (to me) to be "stuff the ball inside" and if Sara Lungren had played basketball, this might have worked. I'll bet Jane could win the Valley if a really talented 6'10" center played for her but she is a bad coach for the type of players we have. She can't adjust and the future does not look bright.
                    Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                    Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Well said Spangler fan.

Comment

Shocker Lady, don't feel bad. I am completely perplexed at the quotes in the article regarding all the points, you made. Why would an athletic department want to keep a person who (herself)admittedly has not gotten the job done.. At lease JA knows she is bad, but to be so arrogant to tell everyone, it is going to cost a lot of money to replace me, and who can they get... to me is very arrogant.

Shockerlady, I closed my check book several years ago, sorry it took you so long. I just loved going to the games, meeting the players, and hanging out at practices, but not since JA. Those games used to be at least fun to attend during the Hargrove and Smith eras, and not painful to watch.

Everybody says she had one winning season, which is true, but that is not the best test, as against your MVC counterparts, and I believe she has never had a winning season against MVC teams...

At least now shockerlady, you can save up, for your retirement, or a new coach..you used to blast me as well, many years ago. Good to see you have seen the light, I hope JS has as well.

Comment

I am confused. How does closing your checkbooks help the team? Isn't that just punishing the girls? I'm not trying to start a fight, I really don't understand. I wish I could afford to have mine open.

Comment

It sends a message to the athletic department that you're not happy with what's going on or the product put on the floor. I know long time season ticket holders who haven't been to a womens game in three years as a protest against Jane. Obviously many feel the same way since only a couple hundred show up to watch. It is unfortunate for the ladies out there that we all wish could succeed and would love to see them do so. But changes have to be made and if they rake in money it's easier to keep what we have.
                            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

SHOCKS10, my sincere apologies. Hargrove and Smith did play stronger opponents which I think brought people to the games as well.

Shockedatu. By no means are you starting a fight but rather just asking a valid question. SubGod22 answered.

I have to agree with some of you. The coach at OSU looks mighty impressive.

Comment

i have had the pleasure of watching littell coaching literally at every level of his career, and he does not know me from adam...what i know is that at every level he has won and as far as i can tell, done so in a way that has made the institution proud. i disagree somewhat with the comment someone made about juco players on another thread...i think mens and womens juco players are not in the same universe, usually...men, it's often a grade thing...women , an overlooked/development thing.

Comment

Working...
                                X