No announcement yet.

i know lutz is not popular here...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree Molly, and I will be very disappointed if JS does not make a move. He kept around a softball coach way too long before bringing in Walton and it was a $$ thing then- and she was BAD! I also think he has more leeway for coaches that he hired than the inherited ones.

Comment

I have made numerous posts as to why Jane should be replaced as WSU head women's basketball Coach based on her team's on-court performance and declining fan interest.

However, in fairness to Jane, I thought I would try to look at things from a different perspective and see if I could make an argument why we should keep Jane. For one thing, although I don't know Jane personally, she seems like a very nice and likeable person.

I'm not close enough to the program to know how she relates to the players and vice versa, although attitudes on this year's team seem pretty good and classroom and community service performance by Jane's teams has been very good. So here goes.

Turning around a moribund program that has no real tradition takes time, more so in the women's game than in the men's game.

Jane spent 10 year's at Northern Illinois. In her first four years her record was 48 - 62. A little better then her first 4 year's at WSU but not significantly better. In her final six year's her teams were 140-48, a record we would love to have at WSU. She is a member of the Northern Illinois Hall of Fame.

She took over a Wisconsin program that was coming off of 9 losing seasons in the last 10. She produced 8 consecutive winning seasons going 154-86 (0.642) before falling to 7-21 in her 9th and final year at Wisconsin. During her time at Wisconsin she moved the program into the Top 10 in National Attendance. (Why Wisconsin was so quick to pull the plug on Jane, I do not know, but I it does seem a bit curious.)

However, with this record I am sure Jim Schaus thought he had struck gold when Jane was let go by Wisconsin. Shocker fans can only dream about this kind of long-term performance in their women's program.

To find a similar situation to WSU take a look at what Keitha Adams has done at UTEP. Keitha is in her 8th year as the head coach of the Lady Miners. She also tookover a relatively moribund program with little, if any, tradition. Keitha's pre-UTEP bio was much less impressive than was Jane's.

In her 1st five years her teams were 8-20, 3-25, 10-19, 16-13 and 12-17 for a combined 49-94 (0.342) which will be very close to Jane's 1st five year's at WSU. Just slight improvement in her 6th year when her team was 14-15. However, last year UTEP went 22-8 and this year they are an impressive 17-2 with their only losses by single digits on the road to Nebraska and K-State. Where would UTEP be this year if they had pulled the plug on Keitha after her 1st five years? That's unanswerable but it is something to ponder.

Can I point to anything that might make this happen under Jane Albright if she is retained? Well nothing concrete, but perhaps the addition of Mike Gillespie to the coaching staff could be that catalyst. Word is the Ladies like and respect Mike. We don't yet know how much, if anything, Mike might bring to the recruiting table.

What was it that UTEP saw in Keitha Adams that they stuck with her. Does Jim Schaus see the same or similar intangibles and below the radar progress that we fans don't see from a distance? Is just a little bit more patience warranted? Can we afford to be more patient?

Is this a strong enough case to retain Jane. I really have not convinced myself that is the case, but I might be swayed with a strong finish of well-played team basketball both at home and on the road to finish out the year. Of course, it really doesn't matter all that much what I think. Fortunately for Shocker fans, Jim Schaus will be making the call.

BTW, just as an aside Keitha Adams is a Kansas girl. In fact, her number was retired at Oxford High School after she graduated. Who did she play for in High School? I do believe it was Mr. Jim Littell.

Comment

1972Shocker, thanks for posting a reverse perspective.
        Whatever transpires with this decision, I will support it. As you said,
        "Fortunately for Shocker fans, Jim Schaus will be making the call."
        That's why we pay him the big bucks. I'm glad it's not my decision.
        :good:
        "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Subgod, you hit the nail on the head, it sends a message. It is so sad that there are not enough people, with influence going to the women's games, or this wouldn't have gone on this many years. The sad thing is that WBB is basically out of sight out of mind, of the larger donors, or influential people, therefore nothing happens. I know of 6 people who have been season tickets holders or punch card holders since the mid 1980's, and they will not be renewing their tickets, unless a change is made. These people don't miss a game, travel when they can, and go to the tournament every year, but not anymore according to them, they have seen enough.

Does anyone ever wonder why we pay full price for season tickets $50-65, and if you did a little home work, you probably could have attended every game on a coupon, free tickets, $1 days, 2 for 1, and not spent over $15 or there abouts. Why do we continue to allow the athletic department to do it? You certainly don't need a season tickets for the crowd! You certainly don't need a season tickets for the parking! So yes close your check books, and send a message.

It really is to bad there isn't a influential person that has the power and the money, to put their foot down. And your right it is to bad for the girls, not the coaches, heck she will make her $115,000, regardless of how she coaches, for the next 3 years.

Comment

Lets see $110,000.00 x 5= $550,000.00. I dont think we are getting our moneys worth! As Trump would say...YOUR FIRED!

Comment

The one thing Jim Schaus cannot ignore is that fan interest in the WBB program is definitely on the decline.

Furthermore, the WBB program has not contributed to the All-Sports Trophy that Jim believes is a very worthwhile pursuit.

It is hard to believe that he won't be pro-active in trying to turn this program around.

Comment

I have to admit that I quit attending WBB a few years ago because it was such bad basketball to watch. I only attended one game over the last two years. Until we get a good coach, I just don't care about WBB.

There is a secondary issue. I may be wrong about this but I seem to recall that I read Jane spends an hour per practice having the team pray. If this information is wrong, please ignore the rest of this message. (If this is correct , I want to ask "Why?". If Gal had a sister who was a good WBB player, would she feel welcome on the team? How many WBB players would find this environment uninviting for one reason or another? Of course, the team demonstrates such great basketball skills that they don't need to actually practice basketball. :whistle: Is Jane confused about her job description? She is the campus WBB coach, not the campus minister!!)
                Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

i'm pretty sure that's not true, even though i do think she is a woman of faith. i think she's savvy enough to know where team boundaries go.

Comment

Originally posted by SpanglerFan316
                    I have to admit that I quit attending WBB a few years ago because it was such bad basketball to watch. I only attended one game over the last two years. Until we get a good coach, I just don't care about WBB.

There is a secondary issue. I may be wrong about this but I seem to recall that I read Jane spends an hour per practice having the team pray. If this information is wrong, please ignore the rest of this message. (If this is correct , I want to ask "Why?". If Gal had a sister who was a good WBB player, would she feel welcome on the team? How many WBB players would find this environment uninviting for one reason or another? Of course, the team demonstrates such great basketball skills that they don't need to actually practice basketball. :whistle: Is Jane confused about her job description? She is the campus WBB coach, not the campus minister!!)
                    I sure don't recall hearing anything like that going on. If it did I'm sure Jim Schaus would bring it to a quick end one way or the other. Deb Patterson at K-State took some heat for pushing her religious views on her team, but I think that has been resolved and KSU is having a really nice year.

You would have to be Fred Phelps nutty to use much of any, let alone an hour per practice, of your very precious and restricted practice time on side activities of any kind.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
                      Originally posted by SpanglerFan316

I sure don't recall hearing anything like that going on. If it did I'm sure Jim Schaus would bring it to a quick end one way or the other. Deb Patterson at K-State took some heat for pushing her religious views on her team, but I think that has been resolved and KSU is having a really nice year.

You would have to be Fred Phelps nutty to use much of any, let alone an hour per practice, of your very precious and restricted practice time on side activities of any kind.
                      I agree. If I find a source, I provide it here. I probably just remember incorrectly something I read. If I was a basketball coach, I would want to spend all of the available time on basketball. (With a bad enough team, maybe the prayer idea wouldn't sound so bad. :lol: )
                      Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                      Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Prayer couldn't hurt but the fans can take care of that. I think I would focus on basketball during the allotted practice time.

Here is my part:

Oh Lord, the way things are going for our basketball teams this year I suspect you may not be a Shocker fan.

However, as hard times and bad luck builds character it could be you are just trying to help us with our character builidng.

If I may be so bold, I would suggest that we have about all the character we can stand for one year, but we could sure use a few more wins to help our spirtual well-being.

Thanking you in advance with all Humility & Meekness
                        1972Shocker :innocent:

Comment

I have heard if you don't attend the bible study she holds it against you. I'm all for faith and attending bible studies. But it shouldn't play a part in who plays when and how much.
                          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Everything being stated here about bible study and prayer is 100% incorrect. Everyone has stated that she is a great person who cannot win at WSU. Lets not make this into anything else.

Comment

I don't know about 100%..... I've heard it from more than one source.
                              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

i've heard diff subgod
                                Up your nose with a rubber hose - Barbarino

Comment

Working...
                                X