Updates on Shocker SB Recruits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updates on Shocker SB Recruits

In order to keep all of these notes (I am sure Hovpen will have updates throughout the season) in one place, I am preemptively starting this thread and moving a few posts to it.

Originally posted by Hovpen View Post
    Couple side notes: 2014 Shocker recruit Morgan Bohanan opened her season by hitting three home runs Friday night at Andover.
    2013 recruit Jenny Brooks won her first game on the mound against the toughest opponent she will face all year in Olathe Northwest.
    Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
    Recruits or commitments?
    Brooks is a signee and Bohanan is, I think, a verbal.

I wasn't going to say anything but Bailey Holt, the Mulvane junior catcher who is also in Bohanan's signing class went yard twice in game two against Andale and that is worth mentioning.

Comment

My brother was at the game at Andover. And those three HRs were absolute bombs. I take that back, two were bombs and the other was described as a laser. He was impressed.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
        My brother was at the game at Andover. And those three HRs were absolute bombs. I take that back, two were bombs and the other was described as a laser. He was impressed.
        Last year as a sophomore she broke S. Davis record for doubles at Goddard (was freshman starting CF at OSU) hitting I believe 17 in a 20 game season. Goddard has a 225 fence and if they played on a 200 fence like many do most of those would have been out as several hit the fence. The thing about the high school girls is some play on 200 fences, some 225, some 230 and some 250 so you have a lot to look at when someone says they hit 20 homers in a season. Whatever the case, Shockers will be better with these in state players.

Comment

I wasn't going to say anything but Bailey Holt, the Mulvane junior catcher who is also in Bohanan's signing class went yard twice in game two against Andale and that is worth mentioning.
          Is Bailey a verbal? Was I correct in saying that Morgan Bohanan is a verbal?

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
            Is Bailey a verbal? Was I correct in saying that Morgan Bohanan is a verbal?
            Yes, both are junior verbals to WSU

Comment

Are we going to get any of Butler's top players? I see they are now ranked #1 in NJCAA.

Comment

You can only sign what you actively recruit

Comment

Holt had two home runs last night against McPherson. Long hit one against Ark City. Bohanan is starting to get bruises because pitchers don't want to throw four pitchs to walk her so they put her on in one.
                  While Jenny is recruited as a pitcher, she could end up an everyday player.....

So important to find that diamond in the rough for a pitcher now knowing all the good ones from sophomore level up are taken. Recruitment of one good one will be key to this program's success as the hitters are coming on board.

Comment

Bohanan is starting to get bruises because pitchers don't want to throw four pitchs to walk her so they put her on in one.
                    It helps (hurts?) that she stands on top of home plate, too.

Comment

I agree Moose, we had one that I am not so sure wasn't in the strike zone. No sympathy here. Hov- will she be able to play a corner at the D1 level?

Comment

Originally posted by boyshocker View Post
                        Hov- will she be able to play a corner at the D1 level?
                        I have no doubt in that.

Comment

Hov ... normally dont post about SB on here ... BUT

As a former baseball player who's played w/numerous D-1 players & a few Pro players, having a sister who was a four year starter out at Goddard (so I grew up around/involved the area BB & SB scene ... not involved anymore however) Why has WSU Baseball had FAR more success recruiting the area than the SB program? The SB program cant seem to get any of the elite talent around here & hasnt since I've been born (mid 80's)

I know the obv answer would be that the baseball program, through their successes starting in the late 70's & continuing thru the 80's, had more of a selling point w/on-the-field success, a great coach (at the time lol), and the fact that baseball is a more popular sport ... but damn, has the WSU SB staff even offered & REALLY gone after local players in the last 25 years???

Any top area SB prospect I've ever talked to has never mentioned WSU as a legit contender for the services.
                          Up your nose with a rubber hose - Barbarino

Comment

Some people will say that the good local players want to get away from home for college. But just look down the road to Butler Juco. How do they keep getting good local talent? If Butler can be the #1 ranked juco in the nation with most of their players from the Wichita area, that tells me that we are missing on a lot of good players. And even worse, we miss on them again when we don't recruit them from Butler.
                            I know that Flying Moose and I went round and round a few years back when I was complaining about WSU not going after the top players from Butler and Cowley, but the bottom line is that there have been several local juco players that could have improved this program.
                            We should take a lesson from Gregg Marshall when it comes to recruiting.

Comment

I believe current coach has several commitments from local girls as well as the KC area and actually sees that our local girls are kicking it at the next level at other schools. It will take a couple more years, if fans will be patient but most fans want instant success and that isn't going to happen. Top priority is to get a pitcher who can get them to the upper tier of the Valley and all the HS girls at that level down through sophomores in the country are committed. The top colleges are working on freshmen and eighth grade classes currently.

SB currently has girls from Maize, Andale, and Bishop Carroll and several from the Olathe teams. Locally we have girls playing and starting at Notre Dame, Princeton, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, Utah I believe, and committed to Creighton, Arkansas, Kansas, and several others.

You have to actively go after the local talent, and there are some uncommitted that I believe can play there but they have to preform when the coaches see them. Right now I just wish K-State would recognize women as athletes and start a program instead of relying on those sports where Kansas has great HS programs in Rowing and horse back jumping to fill their title 9 requirements.

BTW, congrats ladies on your win today.

Comment

Working...
                              X